2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Spark Plug Blown on Low Mileage Fit (HONDA DENIES WARRANTY)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=tele_mark;1186605]...They told me that the # 2 spark plug had blown out, destroying it's coil pack. They also said they found the other three plugs "loose" I've never touched the plugs, and afaik no mechanic has either. The car has only been to mechanics 5 times, for oil changes per the Maintenance Minder. No Lost Motion Spring recall on this one. I thought it was strange that I had EXACTLY the same problem, including the cylinder # that popped, as the OP

Peters never questioned anything. They Time-Serted the plug hole and torqued the others to spec. The power train warranty covered the tow, evaluation, and repair. Not a penny out of my pocket. When they called and told me what it was, I Googled the problem and it brought me to this thread, which I am forwarding to the service manager at Peters..../QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the report. Again, for those keeping score:
1) If the car is within its drive train warrany period, insist upon a covered repair (if the plugs have never been serviced by a non-Honda technician). Why should you take no for an answer? Take them to court if necessary. And the repair itself should be warranted not to fail for a specified time thereafter.
2) If the car is out of warranty, check to make sure your plugs are secure. Vibaration and heat cycles could make them come loose. It is quick to do, so why take a chance?

Old 06-11-2013, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=phogroian;1186610]
Originally Posted by tele_mark
...They told me that the # 2 spark plug had blown out, destroying it's coil pack. They also said they found the other three plugs "loose" I've never touched the plugs, and afaik no mechanic has either. The car has only been to mechanics 5 times, for oil changes per the Maintenance Minder. No Lost Motion Spring recall on this one. I thought it was strange that I had EXACTLY the same problem, including the cylinder # that popped, as the OP

Peters never questioned anything. They Time-Serted the plug hole and torqued the others to spec. The power train warranty covered the tow, evaluation, and repair. Not a penny out of my pocket. When they called and told me what it was, I Googled the problem and it brought me to this thread, which I am forwarding to the service manager at Peters..../QUOTE]

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the report. Again, for those keeping score:
1) If the car is within its drive train warrany period, insist upon a covered repair (if the plugs have never been serviced by a non-Honda technician). Why should you take no for an answer? Take them to court if necessary. And the repair itself should be warranted not to fail for a specified time thereafter.
2) If the car is out of warranty, check to make sure your plugs are secure. Vibaration and heat cycles could make them come loose. It is quick to do, so why take a chance?
There is a 'fitness' claus in states requiring commercial sellers to deliver a vehicle fit for service. The problem with that is PROVING that there has not been anyone accessing the vehicle unless it occurs quickly after delivery. I've been in the business of car work for more than 50 years and the uissdue of loose plugs is new to me. It almost says the newer plugs must be toqued properly, typically 20-24 ft-lb. It used to a loose oil plug leading to engine failure was the most often 'defect' but not much now.
Perhaps its time for all posters on this site to list if they ever saw a loose plug. Get enough and Honda WZI
ll pay attention.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 PM
In case anybody was wondering how to prevent this, check the tightness of your spark plugs every 10-20k miles

Doing a routine inspection solves so many future problems that it should be common sense by now. We've had vehicles for over 100 years, make the effort!!

Old 09-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Angry Backed out spark plug on cylinder 2, 2011 Fit Sport, 39K miles

Yesterday my CEL came on, but I've noticed very slight revs in the engine for about the last couple weeks. It was so slight, that I didn't think it was anything. My Fit has 39000 miles on it and it is driven very lightly. The dealer just called to tell me that the plug had backed out and fried the coilpack. Said it would cost $425 to fix. Because my car is a 2011, and I bought it brand new, from one dealership and I've only ever had it serviced at this second Honda dealership because it is closer to my work. AFAIK, there has never been any adjustments to spark plugs (only the normal idiot light routine maintenance and oil checks). I'm very unhappy that this has occurred. The service person said it is very rare and she'd never heard it happening to a Fit before. She said that it is part of the exhaust system and out of warranty (50K miles or 3 years). I can't get my car back if I don't pay for the repair. Can you fight this after you pay? I think this is BS. I feel it was not installed properly from the beginning, but I'm not sure why this would happen now. If anyone has any ideas how I should/could fight this, please let me know. Thanks!

Old 09-23-2015, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member

Its not that rare because it happened to my 2011 at 38K too, but I caught it before there was damage. You can see in my pic that the coil with the soot was the one with a loose the plug. I know the plugs were never touched either.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Get in touch with manager or Honda customer relations. Check what Honda recommends for replacement interval I think 168,000kms or 100,000 miles. What's with the premature failure?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by tele_mark
Hi everyone. First time poster but long time lurker -- since buying my '10 m/t base new. Never ever a problem with it, then suddenly Sunday, with just over 50K miles on it, while on my way to work, I heard a noise from the front end, turned down the radio, and heard a rattling when I depressed or released the throttle. Then suddenly, the car lost power, and the Check Engine light came on. Car never gave any indication anything was wrong, except the gas mileage dropped a bit on the last tank, which happens sometime, and it has been cranking over a bit hard, which I think has been discussed on here before, and which I've intermittently experienced, so I dismissed it. Limped about 2 miles down the street to a gas station and parked it. Got towed to Peters Honda in Nashua, NH Monday, they called me today.

They told me that the # 2 spark plug had blown out, destroying it's coil pack. They also said they found the other three plugs "loose" I've never touched the plugs, and afaik no mechanic has either. The car has only been to mechanics 5 times, for oil changes per the Maintenance Minder. No Lost Motion Spring recall on this one. I thought it was strange that I had EXACTLY the same problem, including the cylinder # that popped, as the OP

Peters never questioned anything. They Time-Serted the plug hole and torqued the others to spec. The power train warranty covered the tow, evaluation, and repair. Not a penny out of my pocket. When they called and told me what it was, I Googled the problem and it brought me to this thread, which I am forwarding to the service manager at Peters.

The hilarious part is, the next day I was supposed to trade my '01 Ranger for an '06 F250 with a 5.4L that's known to have this type of problem, and I've been apprehensive about that!
Had you bought your Fit from Peters Honda?

Old 09-24-2015, 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by honda599
Get in touch with manager or Honda customer relations. Check what Honda recommends for replacement interval I think 168,000kms or 100,000 miles. What's with the premature failure?
For the Italian Jazz/FIT with the 1.2 or 1.4 engines, Honda recommends changing plugs at 120.000 Km or 75.000 miles. For both engines iridium plugs.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
One way to bring this to Honda's attention in th eUSA is to file a complaint with the NHTSA
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
If it can cause the vehicle to stall, then it is an issue, but they need to have a fair number of people who file complaints, and they need some incidents where a vehicle has quit on the road or the CEL came on before they might take action.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
OP, do a search. This iss a fairly commin problem with the fit. Several members had the same thing happened. Print out the reporta and use it to support your case.

No reason you should be responsible for this. If they say it had been tempered with, the burden of proof is on them to prove this.

i would insist on cylinder head replacement also.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
Just happened to me this past Friday as well. 2013 with 41k miles. Really not looking forward to communicating with the dealer, especially since I bought the vehicle used.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:08 AM
Which brand of plugs blow out?

Denso vs NGK?
Is it more common with one of the brands?
Does Honda install one brand more often than the other?
If there is a difference in the making of the threads or the plating, then that might be a factor.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Long time since i've been here, but this actually just happened to my '12 MT SPORT

The car has 59k on it. I do all of my own maintenence, which has only been oil changes and brakes. I was just accused of using non-factory spark plugs which they used as an excuse to not cover my car. This false story has already been seen in this thread, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. I've been a honda driver exclusively for almost 20 years. That is now going to change. Repairing the fit in my garage and selling it immediately. HONDA IS LYING AND MAKING UP STORIES TO AVOID COVERING WARRANTIES. How many of these cases do we need to document before we can take legal action?

Old 03-17-2016, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Not to rub salt in the wound, but my dealership gave me no hassle at all replacing the head. I wouldn't accept them denying you since it's obviously a known problem.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:23 AM
all the pictures of blown out plugs seem to be NGK

Old 03-17-2016, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Try a different dealer. Some Honda dealers are crooked.
Or call 800-999-1009 Honda Customer service

Old 05-09-2016, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
26k miles on a 2012 Fit that 'popped' as well. Blew the spark/coil pack which left the dealership scratching their heads as it was an extremely low mileage car with all records showing routine maintenance performed by them. Warranty covered the head swap *whew*.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
My 2012 Fit with 45k miles just blew out the spark plug on cylinder two. Fortunately there was enough thread left... ugh.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by komafit
My 2012 Fit with 45k miles just blew out the spark plug on cylinder two. Fortunately there was enough thread left... ugh.
Did you fix it or the dealer?

Old 02-03-2017, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
I had a local mechanic fix it... I figured that Honda would deny any coverage and charge me double to boot. Mechanic said the coil pack was damaged and he replaced that and all plugs. Total was around $320. If it were summer, I might have attempted it myself.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Blown on Low Mileage Fit (HONDA DENIES WARRANTY)