Spark Plug Blown on Low Mileage Fit (HONDA DENIES WARRANTY) - Page 7 - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Old 02-03-2017, 02:33 PM

This is nuts. 15 or 20 of these cases in the US and Canada have been reported just here on this forum over the years.

I am wondering how many of them are really failing throughout the entire Honda Fit inventory. I'm also wondering if Honda ever looked into the problem, or are they just sweeping it under the rug.

Acknowledging it as a problem might impact sales.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by komafit View Post
I had a local mechanic fix it... I figured that Honda would deny any coverage and charge me double to boot. Mechanic said the coil pack was damaged and he replaced that and all plugs. Total was around $320. If it were summer, I might have attempted it myself.
I definitely would have taken it to Honda to see what they say. As previously posted in here, this happened to my '13 and Honda covered it with absolutely no hassle and a replacement head. Glad you got it fixed though.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:02 PM

Unmodified, untampered 2011 Fit 5MT and blown #2 plug at just above 60K miles I'm gonna heli coil it this weekend and will post pics.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:25 PM

Sorry to hear and good luck with the fix. I checked my (used, 2013 Sport) plugs a few weekends ago at 60K Miles and all was well. All were previously torqued to a number somewhere in excess of 20 LB/FT. Previous owner may have checked at some point.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:39 PM

Everybody with the problem NEEDS to report it on the NTSA web page.. or nothing will happen.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:18 PM

Fit is driving again after helicoil

hmm I tried posting yesterday but it didn't go thru...

So I heli coiled the #2 hole and the car drives very smoothly. I was able to drive 400 miles in one stint to get back home, granted I didn't floor it or go over four thousand rpm. I'll replace the engine oil and then give it a good run through the rpm range and then double check positioning of the spark plugs.

The heli coil repair itself was fairly straight forward if given the right tools. I recommend an endoscope/boroscope to verify the valves are cleared out of the way. Also I took some 1/2"x1" washers to place in the spark plug hole and slid the 3/8" extension through so it was centered as I tapped the threads. I also used the original spark plug in #1 to insert the sleeve with RTV, so from the pic you can seem some RTV on the spark plug #1. Just leave the insert w/ spark plug in the head finger tight for 15-30 minutes then take out the spark plug. Afterwards, hammering the insert was a pain b/c there's not much room back there. After a couple hours of setting the RTV you can install a new spark plug and torque it down.

The heli coil I used was the Stanley sleeved version, Helicoil 5334-14 Save-A-Thread Thread Repair Kit M14 x 1.25 and used red Permatex RTV. I know the RTV says don't use on head gaskets or in contact with gasoline, but that's what Stanley recommended.

I placed a report on NHTSA and also contacted Honda USA. Honda suggested I pay a dealership for an inspection fee and then call back Honda USA during the week with their findings. There was no guarantee of Honda providing a good-will repair, and because Honda handles these on a case by case basis there is no estimate of how much money they will cover. The Honda spokesperson did not know of any other known cases of the spark plugs blowing out. Well I didn't have the time to play games since I was far from home so that's why I went with the heli coil.

And as a detailed FYI, the morning of the incident I noticed a rougher idle and drove about another 50 miles, then stopped for an hour, then drove 15 miles, stopped for 10 minutes, then as I was accelerating on a green light the power stalled and the CEL was flashing (hence a safety hazard and reported to NHTSA). I idled to side of road, turned off engine for less than a minute then turned it back on and no CEL so I drove to friend's house 5 miles away. I noticed if I put more than halfway power there would be a metallic sound, kind of like gravel kicking up in the wheel well. I noticed a gas smell during that drive to friend's house, and thought maybe I have bad gas that isn't combusting and going thru the exhaust. Thinking it might have been bad gas/ hot weather during the day, I did a 5 mile drive that cool night to go to Autozone to get an OBDII scanner and on the way back that's when I heard the exhaust leak sound a.k.a. blown plug and really rough idle. So moral of the story is that if you notice a rough idle, misfire, flashing CEL then try not to drive too far. Had I stopped the car during the power cutoff at the intersection, then maybe I'd have some threads leftover to tighten the plug down.
Attached Thumbnails
Spark Plug Blown on Low Mileage Fit (HONDA DENIES WARRANTY)-prerepair.jpg   Spark Plug Blown on Low Mileage Fit (HONDA DENIES WARRANTY)-washer.jpg   Spark Plug Blown on Low Mileage Fit (HONDA DENIES WARRANTY)-repair.jpg   Spark Plug Blown on Low Mileage Fit (HONDA DENIES WARRANTY)-extension.jpg   Spark Plug Blown on Low Mileage Fit (HONDA DENIES WARRANTY)-plugs.jpg  

Last edited by drkazknght; 03-21-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 PM

This is very helpful, drkazknight. Thank you.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:43 PM

Yes, great work drkazknght and some clever solutions to a tough fix. You probably made the right move not messing around with Honda USA.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member

Oh hey, my car ejected a plug a month or so back. Honda of America covered all but $100 of the repair, the dealership fought for me...which is impressive considering I'd never done any business there before and the car is 18k+ outside of powertrain warranty.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:05 PM

That IS impressive Mike. I often can't even get straightforward warranty work covered on our various vehicles. :-(