2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

HVAC Blower Motor works only on high speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
The main reason to get junkyard parts is because on a car like the fit that's only been around for a few years, most parts will be in really good shape and work just fine. Not to mention that you'll likely pay 1/10th of the dealership price...
…and the main reason not to is that the part you buy will likely have the same defect as the part you are replacing.

That's no problem if you don't mind the process of doing it again.

Mine failed on an extremely hot day with 200 miles to get home with no way to push AC into the car. I'll trade dollars for the odds of that never happening again.

Cheers.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
From what I gather in this thread, the problem only seems to affect 2009 and some 2010 fits. Just find the parts from a newer fit...

Old 08-29-2013, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Old 08-29-2013, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Well I guess I was wrong, it would seem that it applies to 2011 fits as well. I haven't seen any incidences of it affecting anything newer than a 2010 fit on this forum though.

In anycase, you could still find 2012 fits in junkyards if you were willing to look hard enough. I think I'd be willing to look around given the massive cost reduction.

Of course if you're lucky enough to get parts replaced under warranty instead, that's always the best way to go.

I'm glad I have a 2012.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SportMTNavi

My bill for the above was $108 after the 65%/35% parts and labor split with Honda (and a .25 hour "disposal fee." I looked for junkyard parts but realized that these parts were going to have the same problem.

The bill only erred in that it said that the blower worked on high speed only. Both the blower and resistor were crispy critters.

You can see the reference to the service bulletin on the bill.

Cheers.
Thank you for sharing your results with the board.... this will definitely help a lot of people.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
A copy of the SB is here: 2009 Honda Fit Blower Motor TSB 09-097

Note the instructions at the bottom for owners of out-of-warranty vehicles. I had no problem with this at all. Just had to ask, and then wait for a decision.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
…and the main reason not to is that the part you buy will likely have the same defect as the part you are replacing.
Prior to buying the new motor/blower, I looked into this. Two different Honda part managers looked at the blower part number and told me there were no updates. They both said that when a part is different (upgraded, better, revised, etc) there is an upgrade to the part number. This blower motor is the same garbage that failed in my car...the only difference is that its new. And that was the reason I didn't go the junkyard way...they wanted too much $ for a used part.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:16 PM
just so you know, this is still an ongoing issue. i have a 2011 fit sport with about 46,000 miles on it. yesterday when it's hot and steamy i have to drive 160 miles round trip with no A/C except on high because the blower motor stopped functioning in the first three settings. imagine your face being sandblasted for 3 hours.

i got online when i got home and checked out the forums (as i have done in the past for other issues with my fit), found this thread -- read it all, including the links and then called the dealer (60 miles away). there was a lot of back and forth but suffice to say that they are going to replace the motor and the resistors on wed. as a goodwill service.

so thank you to all who contributed to this thread ... if i hadn't had the information from this thread when i called, i imagine i would not be getting a goodwill fix for this..

Old 09-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that sucks that a 2011 is having this problem. i thought this was only on the earlier 2009 and some 2010 models.

GL with the repairs though.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by thankfulgal2
...yesterday when it's hot and steamy i have to drive 160 miles round trip with no A/C except on high because the blower motor stopped functioning in the first three settings. imagine your face being sandblasted for 3 hours...
Why? Just angle away vent direction, set air distribution to bi-level and adjust temperature setting. No reason to have too cold air blasting you in the face.

Glad to hear you got goodwill warranty consideration. If you are polite, reasonable and diplomatic in your dealings I believe they are supporting most that request it. My warranty was gone 3 years and 40,000 miles ago but if my fan goes out I'm betting I could get it fixed very reasonably if not for free.

_

Last edited by SilverbulletCSVT; 09-13-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
this is still an ongoing issue
that sucks that a 2011 is having this problem. i thought this was only on the earlier 2009 and some 2010 models.
As I mentioned, all these blower motors have the same part number. According to two different Honda Part Managers, if Honda modifies or changes a part, it gets a new part number. All these crap motor are the same...with the same solid bottom bearing that will eventually fail.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Why? Just angle away vent direction, set air distribution to bi-level and adjust temperature setting. No reason to have too cold air blasting you in the face.

_
i didn't have cold air blasting me in the face. and, unfortunately, i had someone in the car who is autistic and has sensory issues, so having it on high would have been troublesome from both the noise factor and from the blasting of the air ... as a result, we drove without it ... i was just imagining what it would have been like to have it on high and blowing on me ... but thanks for the feedback ...

as for it just being 2009/2010 vehicles, the TSB states that some 2011s also had the issue and listed a range of VIN numbers. mine wasn't in that range, but as it was stated before, if honda hasn't changed the design of the motor, it's going to continue to happen ....

Old 09-14-2013, 12:16 PM
i would also be interested to know if anyone with a 2012 has had the same thing happen to them...

Old 09-16-2013, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
I've been checking prices for junkyard blower motors. They all want at least 50% of the cost... I found a minimum of $85 for the used blower motor. And these are from older cars with some mileage, and may be ready to fail. I would guess that the new motor is a better deal in the long run.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Haven't seem any problems with 2012s yet *knock on wood*

There were a couple 2012 units I saw around 85 bucks. It depends on the mileage the car had. If it had low mileage, chances are the blower wasn't used that much. I would personally opt for that over new because I don't think the amount it was used makes a huge difference, but to each their own.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Trust

Originally Posted by connor55
Haven't seem any problems with 2012s yet *knock on wood*

There were a couple 2012 units I saw around 85 bucks. It depends on the mileage the car had. If it had low mileage, chances are the blower wasn't used that much. I would personally opt for that over new because I don't think the amount it was used makes a huge difference, but to each their own.
I, personally, don't trust that the auto wreck company will be honest, as there is no way to tell what car this blower motor came from or what "real" mileage the car had. From what I've read, there is no way, by part number, to tell the difference between one from a 2009 and 2013. My blower started to fail at 25,000 miles, so any wrecked car will have mileage approaching that, or past that. I guess it's a gamble either way.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spacecoast
As I mentioned, all these blower motors have the same part number. According to two different Honda Part Managers, if Honda modifies or changes a part, it gets a new part number. All these crap motor are the same...with the same solid bottom bearing that will eventually fail.
you an expert, congrats.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Price at CT Dealer

I checked my local dealer, LIA in Enfield CT. The price for the blower motor is a whopping $260 including tax. Mine is going soon.... I can tell by the noise in 1st and 2nd speed. Trying to prepare myself. Too bad, considering the thing is a piece of junk and badly made.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Old 09-19-2013, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by einstein77
I checked my local dealer, LIA in Enfield CT. The price for the blower motor is a whopping $260 including tax. Mine is going soon.... I can tell by the noise in 1st and 2nd speed. Trying to prepare myself. Too bad, considering the thing is a piece of junk and badly made.
Would you do the rest of us a favor and record the sound? If we can preemptively swap out a bad blower motor, maybe we can save the resistor before it also gets burnt out.

Thanks

Quick Reply: HVAC Blower Motor works only on high speed