2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

DIY: Automatic Climate Control Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Holy DIY batman, way to go! If I weren't so deathly afraid of wiring harnesses ever since the incident in '02... I'd be all over this for a project.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
There is a lot of projects that I'm willing to do when it comes to working on cars and I wish this was one of them. I would love to do this mod to my car, but I hate doing electrical work like this.

Maybe I should order up all the parts and take a trip up to Canada lol! Or we can all chip in and bring you down to California for a few days so you can help all of us interested complete the project.

In any case thank you for a great DIY. Between your projector headlights and climate control mod your fit is one of my favorites on this forum.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Honestly the soldering isn't so bad, you really just need a good set of wire strippers and the rest is cake. Take a pen and split the strands apart, then stick the new bare wire in between the strands, close the strands back together and wrap the new wire around the strands. After that, solder it all together then wrap electrical tape around it and tie up the leftover slack.

I just wanted to stress that those quick tap connectors by 3m or whatever aren't reliable enough for something like this.

Well if you ever decide to do this, I'm happy to help you guys out. As much as I'd like to come down to California, maybe it's a better idea I just help out by email or PM

Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by connor55
You can pay me whatever a plane ticket to California costs I wouldn't mind a free trip down there!
Wanna come to NY?

I was actually re-reading this DIY last week.... I really want to do it, but all that sourcing from other countries... trying to gather all those parts isn't easy. I was trying to find some of the parts, and the either the links sold the parts or I was searching wrong.

Definitely agree, soldering is the way to go, but most of the soldering is done outside the car, so it's not too bad...

I love the way the unit adjust air flow... I'd do it just for that.

Great DIY!!!

Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Wanna come to NY?

I was actually re-reading this DIY last week.... I really want to do it, but all that sourcing from other countries... trying to gather all those parts isn't easy. I was trying to find some of the parts, and the either the links sold the parts or I was searching wrong.

Definitely agree, soldering is the way to go, but most of the soldering is done outside the car, so it's not too bad...

I love the way the unit adjust air flow... I'd do it just for that.

Great DIY!!!
Thanks! If you're really serious about doing this. I can help you source parts.
That's really the hardest part of this whole project.

The Swedish website was a little unintuitive to navigate, but they did still have the parts the last time I checked. That would take care of the dashboard portion. Edit: found it! http://en.bildelsbasen.se/?link=item&post_id=20314620

I've got all the wiring harnesses you'd need in my garage except for the outdoor sensor one. I also have the molded lever piece.

The outdoor wire harness would be easy to get from the UK as its easy to describe.

Sensors can mostly be bought in the states. And a few remaining new parts bought brand new from lings Honda(UK parts distributor).

Anyway, if you really wanna go ahead let me know and I'll help you out with the details

Last edited by connor55; 09-10-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by connor55
Thanks! If you're really serious about doing this. I can help you source parts.
That's really the hardest part of this whole project. .....
Yeah, I had a feeling that was right. I don't know how you found the control unit on the Swedish site... you're good! Thanks... wish I could rep you again.

I thought about just acquiring all the parts needed, and installing it after I'm done with my JDM mods & Suspension/Brakes... But knowing me, the parts would probably sit around for ~2yrs before I even start this..

I really wanted to do this, but the cost & install process... ouch! Maybe after I'm done with all the rest of my upcoming mods....

Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
We both know that the mods aren't going to stop anytime soon...

I can totally help you out with finding the parts... Then when you have them all you have no excuse not to do this lol

Old 10-16-2013, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
I called to Honda Parts Now and they says Honda doesn't allow to USA Honda part sellers send items to CANADA.

And 'WOW' that's a real DIY

Luis

Old 10-16-2013, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by luismycorreo
I called to Honda Parts Now and they says Honda doesn't allow to USA Honda part sellers send items to CANADA.

And 'WOW' that's a real DIY

Luis
I don't know who you talked to, but that sounds kinda stupid. :/ Just message Connor.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like we must pay 50% more for each Honda part ordering in canadian dealers.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by luismycorreo
Sounds like we must pay 50% more for each Honda part ordering in canadian dealers.
Try giving Bernardi Honda a call, maybe they can give you a FitFreak discount.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
Will do and let you know, thanks for the information.

Luis

Old 10-17-2013, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
That's bs, I've ordered tons of parts from the US, even large ones like bumpers and side skirts. College hills Honda or bernardi are my top 2 choices for parts from the US.

I did not know there was a fitfreak discount, I'll keep this in mind when I order my mugen rear!

FYI, most of the parts here will have to come from Europe anyway. For that, your only choices are basically lings Honda parts for new parts and uk car breakers for used parts.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
another happy DIYer...

Parts ready
Harness and AC control unit from a crashed car from Taiwan ( lucky me) I have amber lights inside so the blue light version was not an option for me, the rest of the components were outsourced directly from Honda distributors south of China.
I am a foreigner living in Shanghai China, so the main point was to get the used pieces, the problem is only the High end FIT comes with this unit, so there is no many sources to get this here in Mainland, rather common in Taiwan... the other parts are cheap originals, as they are made here, except for the Transistor and the Sensors which are Imported from Japan ( high tax) still worth the expense...

Thanks Connor.

Last edited by camivill; 10-22-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: fixed mistakes
Old 10-21-2013, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Hey camivill, there is something wrong with your images.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Blower-Heater Link

I did changed the link between Heater and the Blower, Left is the new one, right is the old one. There is a couple of seals that comes with the unit, important to put attention on, when changing the unit. Is not so difficult except there are couple of screws hidden, but easy to reach.

Last edited by camivill; 10-22-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Before...

This is the Chinese Version of the Honda Fit 2011 in which the Recycle is not manual rather electrical....

Removing the Mechanical control... following Connor's instructions ....

And testing the Automatic Control...

And happy as a clam.... still gonna have to upgrade that Radio .......

Last edited by camivill; 10-22-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Man I know this has been said before but this is an awesome DIY. Nothing I can imagine ever doing myself but would have gladly paid Honda.

Pat
'13 Sport MT

Old 10-22-2013, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Awesome work camivill, that looks so much better than what you had before

I'm jealous that you had the motorized recirculate already! That was my most expensive part.

Orange looks pretty good, you definitely need to get a better audio system now

Old 10-22-2013, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
feels like Santa came early this year!
:-)

Last edited by camivill; 11-01-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY: Automatic Climate Control Conversion