2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Windshield Washers - Low Flow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Windshield Washers - Low Flow?

Hey everyone! I hate to make my first post a request for assistance, but since search hasn't turned up much with regards to my problem, I thought I'd ask here.

Bit of backstory: Fit is a 2010 Sport model that I bought Certified Pre-Owned from a dealer...in the heart of Boston. I live in Burlington, MA, so going back there for warranty repairs is reserved for when I've exercised all other options that don't cost me a ton of money. Unfortunately, my factory windshield recently suffered a massive crack that looked like a defroster line, starting and ending on the bottom edge 3" from either side of the car, rising up to the wipers, then running parallel to them in an almost straight line before curving sharply down to its starting/ending points.

Long story short, Safelite replaced it for free (yay mandatory MA glass coverage with no deductible!), but their repair job developed a stress crack that mandated another replacement yesterday (yay, free warranty replacements!).

The Problem: Since the first replacement, I've noticed that the windshield wiper nozzles have what feels like a low flow/low power to it, as it now just sprays a single jet at the middle of the windshield that then drips down, rather than spray up the windshield like a fan. The problem got worse with the second replacement, spraying on the wipers themselves. The problem is that it's also gotten incredibly cold during and since the first replacement, so I don't know if it's a nozzle alignment error, frozen up pump (it does spray, just not in the fan pattern or as forceful as I think it should be), or that the windshield replacement somehow damaged the system.

For the record, I'm using quality Rain-X De-Icer (orange stuff), after the initial dealer amount ran bone dry. I've been using it since late Fall with zero issues, including one extra refill just before Christmas.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Did you try removing and cleaning the nozzles? Check the opening and make sure there's nothing blocking it, maybe clean with vinegar and hot water. Does the washer motor still sound the same?

Check:

1. Nozzles
2. Lines
3. Motor

Old 01-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Did you try removing and cleaning the nozzles? Check the opening and make sure there's nothing blocking it, maybe clean with vinegar and hot water. Does the washer motor still sound the same?

Check:

1. Nozzles
2. Lines
3. Motor
Near as I can tell, the motor noise hasn't changed (idling, it's dead silent just like it was when it functioned normally, unlike the old Grand Am, which made a distinct "Hnnnnnnnnng" when it ran). The nozzles are what I'm suspecting, though I'll also check the lines. Could it be orientation of the nozzles, perhaps? Or could the motor just need time to warm up more?

For what it's worth, by the time I made it to work this morning (15m drive), they were squirting noticeably higher. I'll also try idling a full 30m, see if that makes a difference.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:04 PM
Well, I don't think idling will help you much by itself, just waste gas, it's a pretty simple system, switch, motor, power. I think maybe it working after idling has more to do with warmth than the actual action of idling...

Is it really cold where you're at (that's where i'm going with this)? Maybe frost/ice is condensing around the nozzles when it's parked. I'd try cleaning them out first with a small brush or QTip with alcohol, if it's cold it won't freeze up. You said you're using a washer mix right? What is the freezing temp on the mix? I've heard of even winter mixes freezing in the recent super cold weather we've been having in the States.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Well, I don't think idling will help you much by itself, just waste gas, it's a pretty simple system, switch, motor, power. I think maybe it working after idling has more to do with warmth than the actual action of idling...

Is it really cold where you're at (that's where i'm going with this)? Maybe frost/ice is condensing around the nozzles when it's parked. I'd try cleaning them out first with a small brush or QTip with alcohol, if it's cold it won't freeze up. You said you're using a washer mix right? What is the freezing temp on the mix? I've heard of even winter mixes freezing in the recent super cold weather we've been having in the States.
That's part of my original question. It's been as low as -20C here in Massachusetts lately, and I have noticed improved performance (even the restoration of the fan spray pattern on the driver nozzle, albeit still reduced force) as the vehicle warms up. I'm mainly trying to determine if the windshield replacement could've caused this, or if it's just going to happen when the vehicle gets super cold (much worse of an issue, in my opinion, because that's when I need it most).

The mixture is this: Rain-X De-Icer® Windshield Washer Fluid - Rain-X

It requires no dilution, according to instructions, and is good to -22F/-30C before it freezes.

Just for my reference, where are the wiper jets supposed to hit at their lowest point on the windshield? That way, I can see if adjusting their positioning might help (if possible).

Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by InflatableStego

Just for my reference, where are the wiper jets supposed to hit at their lowest point on the windshield? That way, I can see if adjusting their positioning might help (if possible).
I believe it's just a little higher than center if my memory serves correctly. I'm not sure what's involved in window replacement but if they removed the cowl I suppose they could have screwed something up.

Your ambient temp is getting pretty close to that freezing point... when it's that close things get dicey as with anything.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:50 PM
You most likely have a bit of ice blocking the nozzle. It's not at all uncommon in wintertime, on all sorts of cars, though I would imagine some washer nozzles are more prone to it than others.

The solution is really simple; warm up the nozzles to melt the offending ice. Usually blowing on them a few times with a little bit of force (warm breath) does the trick for me. (You are using winter anti-freeze washer fluid, right?)

While it is, in theory, possible that the windshield installers did something to the system, that seems quite unlikely to me. The nozzles are not really in the way of windshield replacement