2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Readiness codes not setting? need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Readiness codes not setting? need help

Hello FF'ers,

So no CEL light for about a month or so and 1500 miles.....but when the key is in the 2nd position, the CEL will blink 5 times indicating the readiness code wont set...

How bad is this and what can I do to fix this?

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2014, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Hook it up to an OBDII scanner and find out what monitor hasn't set then update us with which one hasn't set. Generally speaking, the EVAP monitor is usually the last to set since it monitors 2 drive cycles.

Its not really important unless you're doing emissions testing for your annual state inspection in my honest opinion as long as the CEL isn't on.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
FN Readiness codes!!!!

So I passed in NJ....not realizing NJ will let you get away with 1 readiness code not setting.

This is not the case in GA.

I failed and the reason was catalytic test incomplete....she asked me to drive 100 miles....I drove 200 over the weekend (highway and city) and still they would not set.

So I went to a reputable Indie shop and they told me to keep driving it until a CEL light came on and I have been.

In the interim I went to an OReilly's and they found three faults:

1)Voltage low
2) VSS issue
3) Pending P0420

So doing my research because I'd hate to leave it with Honda or a shop for several hour before they start recommend part replacement (cat at least no doubt) I found some interesting info in the Service Manual regarding the Catalytic monitor, it requires certain conditions to set and the vehicle speed must be above 25mph.

I have stumbled across numerous threads of people replacing cats and it not helping....so my question for you all is could a intermittent fault in a speed sensor be at fault? wouldnt I be experiencing other issues if this were the case?

I do get the occasional sporadic hard shift while coasting to a stop and there are very rare times while accelerating hard that I am waiting for the transmission to shift. I get TPMS lights that come on while driving for extended periods on the highway, not sure if the TPMS sensor communicates with the VSS. Wouldnt the speedometer act funky also if the VSS was faulty?

I really dont want to throw parts at this but I cant help but feel like the VSS might be the culprit.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Update: resolved

So I switched intakes and started using my ultraguage again....had some battery issues and a time when the maf voltage Hugh code came up. I also remember a check engine light showing up then disappearing we. I stopped using the ultraguage.

Since then my readiness codes haven't set and it's been about 1k miles.

So I started digging around the Web and came across an idea to check my fuses x particularly #12 which protects a few things including the ecm.

The fuse was intact but scorched. I replaced it aND codes set within 2p minutes of driving.

Now when I have the time, I will go through all fuses to check. A short must have occurred and while I'm not sure if the ultraguage was the culprit, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Side note, car feels smoother....perhaps since the codes weren't set and settings saved perhaps the idle learn never completed ?

Originally Posted by Santiad
So I passed in NJ....not realizing NJ will let you get away with 1 readiness code not setting.

This is not the case in GA.

I failed and the reason was catalytic test incomplete....she asked me to drive 100 miles....I drove 200 over the weekend (highway and city) and still they would not set.

So I went to a reputable Indie shop and they told me to keep driving it until a CEL light came on and I have been.

In the interim I went to an OReilly's and they found three faults:

1)Voltage low
2) VSS issue
3) Pending P0420

So doing my research because I'd hate to leave it with Honda or a shop for several hour before they start recommend part replacement (cat at least no doubt) I found some interesting info in the Service Manual regarding the Catalytic monitor, it requires certain conditions to set and the vehicle speed must be above 25mph.

I have stumbled across numerous threads of people replacing cats and it not helping....so my question for you all is could a intermittent fault in a speed sensor be at fault? wouldnt I be experiencing other issues if this were the case?

I do get the occasional sporadic hard shift while coasting to a stop and there are very rare times while accelerating hard that I am waiting for the transmission to shift. I get TPMS lights that come on while driving for extended periods on the highway, not sure if the TPMS sensor communicates with the VSS. Wouldnt the speedometer act funky also if the VSS was faulty?

I really dont want to throw parts at this but I cant help but feel like the VSS might be the culprit.