2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Driver Window Switch Panel Issue

Old 09-14-2014, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Driver Window Switch Panel Issue

I can roll down the rear windows no problem using my driver window switch panel, but rolling them up is failing intermittently? The front windows are okay, and using the rear window switches works every time both up and down. It seems like a contact issue, I tried the alcohol method, poured 91% alcohol down the switches and worked them up and down quite a few times, but it didn't fix it. Is this a well known issue (2010 Honda Fit)? How did you fix it? thanks

Old 02-28-2015, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
mee tooo ... 09 front passanger window would go only down from driver side switch .... now nothing from driver side switch ... passenger side switch always works down .... hell to go up i think i have the lil finger trick figured out ... permantly keep it open a lil beacuase of visors ... but it gets craZy annoying ... im slacking down know which switch i need and kind of cheaping out since im never the passenger

Old 02-28-2015, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
I actually fixed this problem by taking the power switch panel out from the driver side door panel, dissembling the switch unit, cleaning the contact pins with rubbing alcohol (it was yucky in there!!). Just use a chisel or small screwdriver to pry open the casings, you can get to the contact pins for each window, just remember the order to put things back. However, even though I cleaned every pin to the best I could, the issue came back after a few months... not sure if it was the snow and ice... next time I clean it I will put some tape around the cracks and openings to weather seal it better, but this method works. Seeing those contact pins, you'd be surprised it worked at all. I had no idea how the gunk and dirt could get in there, it was a pretty sealed enclosure with no path for water to drip in... alcohol poured from the outside would never have a chance getting to the contact pins.

Last edited by fitowner10; 02-28-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
It's actually caused by corrosion on the contact pins inside the power switch unit, due to moisture in the air. After you clean the pins, you will need to coat them with some anti-corrosion cream, otherwise the problem will come back in a couple months. I used a tiny bit of anti-seize, and it kept things in order for a year and a half now. Overall, it's a pretty simple fix (after you've gone thru it once).

Old 08-21-2016, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 2009 Honda Fit Sport. The passenger window switch located on the drivers side gradually gave up working. Had to reach across to the passenger seat window switch to control. Just tried pouring 91% alcohol down into drivers passenger switch and got it working again. I guess we'll see how long it lasts. VERY annoying having it non functioning. My mechanic of course told me it was un-repairable. Must replace the entire console. If it stops working again I'll remove the whole pod and try cleaning the contacts.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
I am surprised alcohol worked, unless you flooded the whole thing (not sure this is possible either...). The contacts are enclosed and hidden pretty well, nothing poured from the top should get in, but glad it worked for you.