2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Strip for ABS sensor damaged

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 04:41 PM
Angry Strip for ABS sensor damaged

Pulled the drum off of my 2009 Fit and found that the brake adjuster spanner had come off and was grinding against the axle. It also scraped off the fabric strip that the ABS sensor uses to gauge the speed of the wheel (which explains the ABS light, I thought I was just going have to clean a dirty sensor). I have no idea how to replace this or how much it would cost to have someone do it. Any ideas? I had to buy a new brake adjuster kit to replace the chewed up components and the car can be driven safely now, just w/o ABS like how I learned to drive. Looking through the posts I guess this does not happen too often. Appreciate any help and cost estimates. If it is too expensive I'll just put it in my bucket list (replace the b with the letter of your choice).

Thanks,

Old 04-28-2015, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
The rear sensor is about $85.00 aftermarket from Rock Auto. Honda (on line) wants $99.00 for one. $142.00 from your local dealer. That ought to give you a place to start.

I believe it is one bolt to remove it from the rear backing plate. It plugs in somewhere under the rear seat. My daughter had hers disconnected yesterday while fixing the rear axle. I did not see exactly where she unplugged it from inside the car. I was not there when she took it out.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by n9cv
The rear sensor is about $85.00 aftermarket from Rock Auto. Honda (on line) wants $99.00 for one. $142.00 from your local dealer. That ought to give you a place to start.
It's not the sensor I need to replace, its what the sensors reads. There is a kind of hard fabric strip on the axle with bumps on it. The sensor reads the speed of the bumps passing by. The fabric strip got scraped off by the spanner so there are no more bumps to be read. I realize this is a little unusual as I have not seen anyone else with this problem.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
When I get a chance, I'll take a look at what you are talking about. How do I get to the part to see it?

Old 04-28-2015, 07:29 PM
I don't see the strip with the bumps on it in the parts list but the strip is on the Bearing Assy., RR, Hub Unit (or was on it in my case).

Old 05-01-2015, 01:07 PM
It is called an ABS Tone Ring on other cars like Ford Escape. I did not find a tone ring for 2009 Honda Fit but the tone ring is the strip with the bumps read by the ABS sensor.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Called a Honda auto parts place. There is no separate tone ring on the Honda Fit. It is attached to the rear hub assembly. Have to press out a perfectly good hub bearing and press in a new one to replace the tone ring. Not gonna happen any time soon.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by GregDavis11009
Called a Honda auto parts place. There is no separate tone ring on the Honda Fit. It is attached to the rear hub assembly. Have to press out a perfectly good hub bearing and press in a new one to replace the tone ring. Not gonna happen any time soon.
I had exactly the same issue as the OP, the spanner broke and fell under the axle, ground the teeth off the strip. The bearing and hub assembly is $38 at autozone but does not have the strip, the dealer and 6 other shops I went to can find no mention of such a strip, the only way to find if the Honda part has the strip is to order one and look at it, then pay a restocking fee if I don't need it -.- as far as they tell me that strip is not required but it is on my car and the only thing damaged that made the abs light come on. Has anyone replaced their assembly in the back with a hub that doesn't have this strip attached to it? The brand I got was duralast. I'd really like to find an exact answer before I have someone press the new assemblies on and then find that they aren't what I needed, and I don't really feel like paying Honda $541 (got it quoted today) to do it. I drive an '08 Sport

Old 10-09-2015, 02:36 PM
Someone needs to make the strip

Some 3rd party needs to make the fabric strip with the bumps on it (the tone ring) with a strong adhesive backing so that you could just peel and stick on a new one. Probably would cost about 10 cents to make and they could sell it for $15.00 and I would buy it.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone have a pic or schematic of this strip? Just got my 2009 out of shop that replaced my wheel bearings. Now ABS and VSC lights are on. Mechanic swears he pressed bearings in correctly with magnetic/brown side out. Isn't that what the sensor reads and not a tone ring or strip? Shop has no idea how to reset and I have to take the car back to them to troubleshoot.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:11 PM
If the mechanic pressed the new bearing in with the magnetice/brown side out, and it is a brown strip with evenly spaces bumps on it (not a metal tone ring but serves the same purpose), then it should work. If he pressed it in the other way the car will roll just fine but the bearing will never get read by the sensor (too late to turn it around). You may just need to clean the sensor that reads the magnetic bumps. Either way I would take off the wheel and look at it myself. After pulling off the drum (back brakes) look at point where the axle starts and you should see the brown ring of little bumps. If it is not there its either a) wheel bearing assembly did not come with abs ring (quite common) or b) mechanic pressed it in backwards.