2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

needadvice: how to remove front bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 03:12 AM

I would like to remove and reinstall my front bumper cover on my 2013 GE8 without breaking anything. One set of instructions related to installing a fog light kit advises to attach ducktape to the bumper near the headlight but does not say why. Mostly I would like to know are there any tricks or advice on how to undo the clips that (it seems) one just pulls on in the removal process around the headlights. I would rather not beak them or make them less sturdy in the process, if I can.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:00 AM

Sorry, I don't have any advice has I haven't had to remove my bumper.. Yet (although I was planning on adding a square weave mesh guard to protect the condenser).

May I ask why you need to remove it?

Old 06-26-2015, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by sean.haynes
Sorry, I don't have any advice has I haven't had to remove my bumper.. Yet (although I was planning on adding a square weave mesh guard to protect the condenser).

May I ask why you need to remove it?
I was able to install mesh guard without removing the bumper cover and did notice the welds on the bumper had some rust so sprayed those areas with rust oleum rusty metal primer. I have seen photos where the same thing happens to the rear bumper but I have not removed that cover either. My interest is in finding a good place to mount a bypass filter. I think I will do better if I have more access, hence the desire to remove the bumper cover. If you pull hard enough you can get plastic push together parts a part but I would like to avoid partially destroying them in the process.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Nooooooo!!!! Don't use duct tape everrrrr on paint! Unless you want to destroy the paint. Just use painter's tape (the blue or green stuff).

Old 06-27-2015, 04:33 AM
5 Year Member
The tape is to protect the bumper from scratching once the clips come loose.

To remove bumper cover you need to remove a screw in the fender well and then all the clips and a few 10mm nuts underneath. Then with help of a friend gently pull up and clips will release. Have a friend otherwise you will drop it and scratch it.