2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Temperature Control Dial too "clicky"

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Temperature Control Dial too "clicky"

Note: by segments I mean those little roughly rectangular markings around the circumference of the temperature control dial. There are 6 blue segments, and 6 red ones.

Anyone else having this same problem with the temperature control dial for the AC-heat, that I am having?: If I have the dial turned all the way to the left (cold) and move it slightly to the right, say 1, 2, 3, or 4 "segments," I can move it back all the way to the left just by turning it to the left; it turns reasonably smoothly, and stops at the last segment on the left. However if I turn it to the right about 1/3 to 1/2 of its total travel, when I turn it back to the left, it won't go all the way to the left. Instead, it stops about 1 to 2 segment from all the way. I can turn it all the way, but it "bounces" back a segment or 2 when you I let go of the knob. If I turn the knob about 3/4 of the way to fully all the way to the right, then when I subsequently turn it to the left, it will go all the way to the left, but it first makes a fairly loud click and firm "detent" about 1 or 2 segments from the end. Doesn't sound or feel too good.

I'm wondering if this may have something to do with the fact that if the temperature outside is higher than 90, the cabin temp is only down to about 80 degrees after driving 8 miles. Maybe the mixing flap that mixes warm air isn't closing completely? I don't trust the dealer to fix this properly and I could imagine them making it worse. So I'm wondering how on earth do I get the knob assembly out? Is the air mix flap connected to the knob just with a cable or mechanical linkage or is it "flap by wire"? Can I pop the assembly out or do I have to take the whole dashboard apart? Where exactly is the flap - so I can check that it isn't the flap that is clicking or hitting something before it closes, or that the knob isn't fully closing the flap before the knob is fully turned to the left - etcetera. Or so I can just put lube on things and make them work smoother.

Last edited by nomenclator; 07-02-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
With the glove compartment removed I saw it is a simple mechanical linkage with a wire cable. Not sure why it was hanging up but after turning it back and forth about 30 times it works smoothly now.