2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Anyone repair OEM wheels with curb rash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone repair OEM wheels with curb rash?

So after two years of ownership, all four wheels have some curb rash. Some wheels have it pretty bad. I was wondering if anyone took the task of repairing their own wheels and which items they used. I want to make it look as close to the original condition as possible so I need to figure out the right paint to use for touch up.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jy1129
So after two years of ownership, all four wheels have some curb rash. Some wheels have it pretty bad. I was wondering if anyone took the task of repairing their own wheels and which items they used. I want to make it look as close to the original condition as possible so I need to figure out the right paint to use for touch up.
I have a 2009 Fit Sport and I used a Honda Stout Silver wheel paint. It is a perfect match with 2009 Sport wheel after I top coated with clear wheel paint. Since your car is 2013, I am not sure if the wheel color will match. The 2013 has black paint on the inside part of the wheel.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kimi808
I have a 2009 Fit Sport and I used a Honda Stout Silver wheel paint. It is a perfect match with 2009 Sport wheel after I top coated with clear wheel paint. Since your car is 2013, I am not sure if the wheel color will match. The 2013 has black paint on the inside part of the wheel.
It's polished on the outside part and a darker gray inside the spokes.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone repair OEM wheels with curb rash?-mzq4llbbk0ygnarjy5uonuq.jpg  
Old 01-09-2016, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
Our old Acura's wheels got gouged (2mm deep) by that 'other driver' in the family. It also had polished facing surfaces as yours appear to be.

So, I sanded the gouges down smooth, then used progressively finer sandpaper until they polished up fine. (I think I had to swirl them to imitate the machined look from the factory.) Then, I put three coats of clear on the repaired areas, for protection.

My job was not perfect, but the repair was barely noticeable. The clearcoat held up for the four years we kept the car.

+++++++++++

As an alternative, you could have them professionally refinished. A wheel shop will do a "perfect' job. I've used Wheel Collision Center in PA if you are close by.
Wheel Collision Center Bath PA- Excellence in Refinished/Used Factory OEM Aluminum Alloy Wheel Rim Sales & Alloy Wheel Rim Straightening Repair Refinishing & Recycling! - www.oemfactoryrimwheel.com Excellence in Refinished/Used Factory OEM Aluminum A

If not, ask at a BMW dealer or Forum who THEY use, near you.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Our old Acura's wheels got gouged (2mm deep) by that 'other driver' in the family. It also had polished facing surfaces as yours appear to be.

So, I sanded the gouges down smooth, then used progressively finer sandpaper until they polished up fine. (I think I had to swirl them to imitate the machined look from the factory.) Then, I put three coats of clear on the repaired areas, for protection.

My job was not perfect, but the repair was barely noticeable. The clearcoat held up for the four years we kept the car.

+++++++++++

As an alternative, you could have them professionally refinished. A wheel shop will do a "perfect' job. I've used Wheel Collision Center in PA if you are close by.
Wheel Collision Center Bath PA- Excellence in Refinished/Used Factory OEM Aluminum Alloy Wheel Rim Sales & Alloy Wheel Rim Straightening Repair Refinishing & Recycling! - www.oemfactoryrimwheel.com Excellence in Refinished/Used Factory OEM Aluminum A

If not, ask at a BMW dealer or Forum who THEY use, near you.
I admit I lightly curbed one rim, but the other three were the "other driver" lol. And they were some serious curb rash. What type of sandpaper did you use? I'm looking to use bondo to fill up the area and paint over. Don't need to be perfect but just enough so it's not noticeable.