2009 GE8 radio Wiring harness/pin layout

Old 05-18-2009, 01:30 PM
2009 GE8 radio Wiring harness/pin layout

I have searched and searched and found a couple of good links about deciphering the GE wiring color codes (kimonostereo seems to be the only one who has found this info out) for the stock radio:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...es-cables.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...rt-wiring.html

But I need to see if anyone has mapped out the actual PIN locations for each color on the main radio harness.

By that I mean - in kimonostereo's coding, he kindly lists out his coding as such:

Battery
Wire Color PINK
Polarity (+)
Location RADIO HARNESS
Pin # 24

Accessory
Wire Color ORANGE
Polarity (+)
Location RADIO HARNESS
Pin # 14

Ground
Wire Color BLACK
Polarity (-)
Location RADIO HARNESS
Pin # 12

Illumination
Wire Color GRAY
Polarity (+)
Location RADIO HARNESS
Pin # 13

Dimmer
Wire Color RED
Polarity (-)
Location RADIO HARNESS
Pin # 1

Power Antenna
Wire Color BLACK
Polarity (+)
Location RADIO HARNESS
Pin # 3

Speaker 1
Front Left
Wire (+)
Wire Color LIGHT BLUE
Pin # 23

Wire (-)
Wire Color LIGHT GREEN
Pin # 22

Front Right
Wire (+)
Wire Color BROWN
Pin # 19

Wire (-)
Wire Color RED
Pin # 18

Rear Left
Wire (+)
Wire Color GRAY
Pin # 11

Wire (-)
Wire Color BROWN
Pin # 10

Rear Right
Wire (+)
Wire Color BLUE
Pin # 7

Wire (-)
Wire Color ORANGE
Pin # 6
....But there is a set of Red (pin #1 and #18) wires and I believe 2 brown wired (Pin #19 and #10) and black (#3 and #10)...and this can create some headaches. Plus others....

I am looking for the correct accessory tap (orange) as well as the rear L/R speakers - if I know how to read the PIN's, I think I can figure this out with the color dupes above.

Last edited by thebluepotato; 05-18-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Anyone have any thoughts? It may be that no one has mapped this out yet....here is a sample form a Subaru page for what would be what would be helpful (for the archive):

Subaru Forester radio harness pin-out

Old 05-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Are you trying to vampire-tap the existing wiring to add something like an external amp as opposed to replacing the headunit with a harness adapter? I have the Metra harness adapter that everyone has been using for their Pioneer AVIC F installs, but those colors don't match up with what you indicate above.

Looking face-on at the Metra adapter, reading from left to right, top row: (this is the same orientation as the picture above, and includes the four large pins on the corners in the count):

Top Row (l-r) - lock mechanism above
01 Black - Ground
02 empty/small index hole
03 Green - Left Rear +
04 Green/Black - Left Rear -
05 Red/White - (no description)
06 Gray/Orange ? - (no description)
07 Violet - Right Rear +
08 Violet/Black - Right Rear -
09 Green/White - (no description)
10 Green/Red - (no description)
11 Brown/White - (no description)
12 Brown/Orange ? - (no description)
13 Orange - Illumination

Bottom row (l-r)
01 Yellow - 12V battery/Memory
02 White - Left Front +
03 White/Black - Left Front -
04 Blue/Orange ? - (no description)
05 Blue/Black - (no description)
06 Gray - Right Front +
07 Gray/Black - Right Front -
08 Blue/White - Amp turn-on
09 Black/LtGreen ? - (no description)
10 Gray/Green - (no description)
11 Red - 12V ignition/ACC
12 empty/small index hole
13 Orange/White - Dimmer

That's my best shot at it - use at your own risk, etc., etc.

Colors with a ? were hard to distinguish as to absolute tone, but should give an idea. For example, is that an orange or red stripe against a brown wire?

I should be installing my unit in the next couple of days, so I might be able to map the Metra colors to the Honda harness then.

Last edited by SteveInNC; 05-18-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Steve - yes, trying to add on SAS tube and need left and rear +/- lines as well as accessory line (or power antenna lead) for turning on the amp in the tube. Your info was for a 2009, correct?

The confusion is that no one has done a correct PIN out yet on this harness - I see some pin #'s above, but you have to actually look at the harness and guess if they do not have some kind of reasonable or logical layout. I have yet to look at my PIN out.

But I think with your info, it may be enough for me to find what I am looking for - which unfortunately does not match up with kimonostereo's coding.

03 Green - Left Rear +
04 Green/Black - Left Rear -
07 Violet - Right Rear +
08 Violet/Black - Right Rear -

and
08 Blue/White - Amp turn-on
or
11 Red - 12V ignition/ACC

Old 05-21-2009, 12:31 PM
ARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

Frickin Amazon sent me a Metra 71-1729 instead of a 70-1729. Looking at the package, someone slapped on a sticker claiming it is a 70-1729, complete with barcode, over the original sticker. FWIW, a 71 is the MALE version, the 70 is the FEMALE version, which is what we need for adapting an aftermarket HU to the OEM wiring. Of course, I only discovered this after wiring up the harness. That'll teach me not to pull the head unit first...

Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Well that stinks! I will hopefully get to the wiring here this weekend and will post my findings...I took some time on wiring up the SAS tube harness so it should be a clean look. More soon...

Old 05-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Ok, after a weekend of stereo surgery, I figured out most of the 2009 pin out. Much of the info I found here on FF.net as well as online, but honestly - I have yet to see anyone figure an actual Pin Out for the stock wiring harness on the standard stereo. There are a couple here that are still not identified - maybe someone can figure these remaining few out.

Thus - The information I am providing is do at your own risk and is only to show what I found in terms of pin out on the stock harness on a 2009 Honda Fit Sport. Some pin out locations still need identifying (see below).

Recap: I was trying to identify the proper pin outs on the stock harness to add a bazooka tube (especially for running high level inputs and accessory/switched).

As mentioned in the OE install instructions for adding the USB extension, the removal of the radio face plate is a very slow and patient process. Tape up everything like you see:

Carefully prying out from the top bin (see notch below), carefully pry around teh faceplate in very small amounts - using a credit card as something you pry against with your pry tool:

And working to the left side - continuing to gently pry away in small amounts. Use your fingers at some point to pull it away from the dash and carefully let it rest on the lower dash. It is important to double up on the tape here so that the metal frame of the din bracket does not mar or damage your dash:

Now that it is free - look from on top and you will see the main wiring harness with a harness lock (white lever shown). Carefully use small flat blade screwdriver to pry the swing arm towards the front of the car to release:

Main harness should be free - and looking straight on at the harness, you will see two main rows of pins as well as a blank groove at top and above that you will see the locking mechanism. This is how I will help identify the pin out:

Here is TOP row - loking at it from upside down:

And the bottom row - looking at it upside down:

You will also notice that there are 4 bigger pins on the outside (2 on left and 2 on right). Some wires are marked by a silver dot or paint mark and I mention these below.

My pin out findings:

Now in the pin out above, I classifide the 4 bigger pins as A, B, C and D. The pin out numbers I have above do not reflect or correleate with any actual numbers provided in previous threads or actual info from the factory manual - they are my numbers.

After it was all said and done, I simply tapped into fuse block for switched 12v and just went for rear speaker outputs.

Anyway - hope this helps someone down the road as I did not see a complete document on identifying the pin out on the 09 harness.

Last edited by thebluepotato; 05-25-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: picture added
Old 05-26-2009, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
nice work +rep

Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the comments. Hope it helps others.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Great stuff helps a lot ,thanks guys

Old 08-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Awesome post. Thanks for the instructions and pictures thebluepotato.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
does anyone know where the vss wire is?

Old 09-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Question Question

Call me amatuer (and I am) but why is the pin out so important.

the reason that i ask is that i am a new honda fit owner but i'm looking to swap out the stock HU and replace it with something else. Essentially what i want to do is add an amp for some more bass. Although I am worried that i will lose the USb adapter funcion located in the glove box.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

Old 09-04-2009, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DJ_EDDIE_G
Call me amatuer (and I am) but why is the pin out so important.

the reason that i ask is that i am a new honda fit owner but i'm looking to swap out the stock HU and replace it with something else. Essentially what i want to do is add an amp for some more bass. Although I am worried that i will lose the USb adapter funcion located in the glove box.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

i suppose the pin out is just a good reference guide. like when i upgraded to a double din pioneer navi avic z110bt, it was nice to know each wire that i was soldering.

regarding the USB. you will lose that function with the stock HU, but if you get a aftermarket HU with usb capability, its essentially the same thing. just if u want to keep your USB function, just find an aftermarket HU with a usb function too. my pioneer avic z110bt has that capability and ipod compatability.

if you want more bass, adding and amp to your speakers arent gonna be enough. you would need to find a subwoofer.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Question

Originally Posted by chubbykai
i suppose the pin out is just a good reference guide. like when i upgraded to a double din pioneer navi avic z110bt, it was nice to know each wire that i was soldering.

regarding the USB. you will lose that function with the stock HU, but if you get a aftermarket HU with usb capability, its essentially the same thing. just if u want to keep your USB function, just find an aftermarket HU with a usb function too. my pioneer avic z110bt has that capability and ipod compatability.

if you want more bass, adding and amp to your speakers arent gonna be enough. you would need to find a subwoofer.
sorry i should have mentioned that i have an amp and sub from my old car. you mentioned that i could purchase a HU with usb capability. Do you think that I would be able to use the wire that is preinstalled in the 09 FIT sport and will it still charge the ipod when its plugged in? Also what is this i have read about and Add an amp adapter as well as a sousche (or something like that) Line out adapter? might that work for me for the time being so that i can simply keep the Stock HU for now and still be able to get that extra bass

Old 09-04-2009, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
ah ic ic. my pioneer does charge my ipod while on and what not. i dont think there is a way to still use the stock USB adapter with an aftermarket HU unless you do some wire stripping and soldering. i was thinking about that however, say i want to sell my car but want to keep my pioneer for my new car, that means i cant install the stock USB into the Stock HU anymore. and i would have to tell the buyer, "sorry, the USB cable doesnt work anymore" will take a picture of what i did later today, but essentially i took out the stock usb wire and tucked it behind the dash and wired the new pioneer USB cable through the same hole so its in the same exact place.

as for the add an amp, its called a Line Converter. essentially when you add an amp to an aftermarket HU, you have to connect a RCA cable from the HU to the amp. However, on a stock HU, there is no RCA. what you do is take the line convertor and tap it into one of the rear speaker wires. this "acts" like an rca. so yes. you would need a line convertor from Scosche or any aftermarket company to add a sub to your stock HU for the time being.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by chubbykai
ah ic ic. my pioneer does charge my ipod while on and what not. i dont think there is a way to still use the stock USB adapter with an aftermarket HU unless you do some wire stripping and soldering. i was thinking about that however, say i want to sell my car but want to keep my pioneer for my new car, that means i cant install the stock USB into the Stock HU anymore. and i would have to tell the buyer, "sorry, the USB cable doesnt work anymore" will take a picture of what i did later today, but essentially i took out the stock usb wire and tucked it behind the dash and wired the new pioneer USB cable through the same hole so its in the same exact place.

as for the add an amp, its called a Line Converter. essentially when you add an amp to an aftermarket HU, you have to connect a RCA cable from the HU to the amp. However, on a stock HU, there is no RCA. what you do is take the line convertor and tap it into one of the rear speaker wires. this "acts" like an rca. so yes. you would need a line convertor from Scosche or any aftermarket company to add a sub to your stock HU for the time being.
A picture of what you have done will help illustrate what you have done. I am pretty savyy with sound. I installed the HU in my old car along with the amp and sub. so i kind of have an idea as to how to get it done its just that i am not to familiar with the equipment like the converter and things like that. My question is where would i place the converter? and would i have to tap in to the stereo side of the harness or the part of the harness that is actually attached the car (if that makes any sense)

Old 10-28-2009, 03:03 PM
hello

Originally Posted by thebluepotato
Ok, after a weekend of stereo surgery, I figured out most of the 2009 pin out. Much of the info I found here on FF.net as well as online, but honestly - I have yet to see anyone figure an actual Pin Out for the stock wiring harness on the standard stereo. There are a couple here that are still not identified - maybe someone can figure these remaining few out.

Thus - The information I am providing is do at your own risk and is only to show what I found in terms of pin out on the stock harness on a 2009 Honda Fit Sport. Some pin out locations still need identifying (see below).

Recap: I was trying to identify the proper pin outs on the stock harness to add a bazooka tube (especially for running high level inputs and accessory/switched).

As mentioned in the OE install instructions for adding the USB extension, the removal of the radio face plate is a very slow and patient process. Tape up everything like you see:

Carefully prying out from the top bin (see notch below), carefully pry around teh faceplate in very small amounts - using a credit card as something you pry against with your pry tool:

And working to the left side - continuing to gently pry away in small amounts. Use your fingers at some point to pull it away from the dash and carefully let it rest on the lower dash. It is important to double up on the tape here so that the metal frame of the din bracket does not mar or damage your dash:

Now that it is free - look from on top and you will see the main wiring harness with a harness lock (white lever shown). Carefully use small flat blade screwdriver to pry the swing arm towards the front of the car to release:

Main harness should be free - and looking straight on at the harness, you will see two main rows of pins as well as a blank groove at top and above that you will see the locking mechanism. This is how I will help identify the pin out:

Here is TOP row - loking at it from upside down:

And the bottom row - looking at it upside down:

You will also notice that there are 4 bigger pins on the outside (2 on left and 2 on right). Some wires are marked by a silver dot or paint mark and I mention these below.

My pin out findings:

Now in the pin out above, I classifide the 4 bigger pins as A, B, C and D. The pin out numbers I have above do not reflect or correleate with any actual numbers provided in previous threads or actual info from the factory manual - they are my numbers.

After it was all said and done, I simply tapped into fuse block for switched 12v and just went for rear speaker outputs.

Anyway - hope this helps someone down the road as I did not see a complete document on identifying the pin out on the 09 harness.

ive been searching these threads for answers and im installing an apm to my factory stereo.. i cant seem to find.. the remote wire for the amp.. does any one know the answer to this or have an alternative

Old 11-09-2009, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mycullb
ive been searching these threads for answers and im installing an apm to my factory stereo.. i cant seem to find.. the remote wire for the amp.. does any one know the answer to this or have an alternative
I used the power antenna b+ wire for the remote. Seems to be working just fine.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
does anyone know the part number of the wiring harness? ive been looking for one so that i can take 2 pins and use it for my DIY audio controls

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 GE8 radio Wiring harness/pin layout