"FlyAudio" DIY In-Dash Navigation Install for GE8 ***PICS***

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 PM
"FlyAudio" DIY In-Dash Navigation Install for GE8 ***PICS***

I posted this in the SoCal forum, but a couple people suggested that I move it here. I found this product thru someone on the forum and HAD to have it. It's been great so far, I love it! I got it from this guy: store.automaxservice.com . He gave me a great deal and offered alot of help with the installation. So here it is!

Disconnect your battery before you start. Use plastic pry bar to remove trim piece below the radio/dash area.

Once you remove the bottom trip pieces you can look up into the bottom of the radio and there is a screw that needs to be unscrewed. It's hard to see in this picture, but the screw is up there and it needs to come out. It is totally unnecessary, but it "secures" the radio. As if the dash isn't doing a good enough job.

Pop the glove box open and get a plastic pry bar under the radio trim piece and pull up.

Now you want to pry from the bottom

Once you pop all the tabs, the radio should come out pretty easily. Just make sure to disconnect all the connectors in the back of the system.

AWW no radio!

One of the connectors has this little tab on it that you have to turn so that the connector releases.

Remove the Yield button and the passenger airbag/seat occupancy sensor. They each unscrew or unclip from the factory radio, you need those again. The yield button will fit into the new faceplate, but the seat occupancy sensor will not. You just need to plug it back into the Honda factory harness and zip tie it behind the radio. This will eliminate any warning lights, you just won't be able to see the sensor.

Time for the FlyAudio. Make sure to remove the 2 screws in the bottom of the DVD player.

Beautiful FlyAudio for Honda Fit!!

Before we put the FlyAudio in, I ran all the wiring for the FlyAudio Bluetooth microphone and FlyAudio GPS antenna (all included with the system). Remove side paneling on passenger side.

The wiring goes from the radio, behind/thru the glovebox, up the passenger side A-pillar, thru the headliner, and down behind the rearview mirror, to its final destination where I mounted the GPS antenna and bluetooth microphone. Also, make sure to run the iPod charging/syncing cable, USB cable, and RCA cables into the glovebox or wherever you want them.

Plug everything in to the back of the FlyAudio and re-connect your battery to test the system before you put everything back. All the harnesses are plug and play, so it makes it really easy.

If you test the FlyAudio and everything works fine, start piecing everything back together.

When you put the mini SD card in the 1st time you have to select "Browse" ---> OdyseeyNavi ---> Bin---> Odyssey.exe . Then check the box for "Auto Run Navigation Next Time" and then select "Run Navigation"

It wasn't a very difficult install, but if you wanted to have it done by a stereo shop, I can't see it costing more than $100. Here are some pictures of the FlyAudio installed.

Well that's about it, thanks to Monkeyboi for finding this!

Last edited by Sid 6.7; 10-29-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
wow...............that look better than the stock one

Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 PM
It really is cleaner than stock. It has way more features as well:

GPS
DVD
Bluetooth
iPod interface/cable
RCA cables/aux input
USB cable
option for backup camera
option for rear headrest monitors

I am loving mine! For the price, you couldn't buy a decent double din and have it installed.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
how much u pay for it?

*edit. nvm. jus made an account and saw the price.

looks similar to the one someone posted in my other thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...av-cd-etc.html

it was $312 plus $100 bucks to ship. dunno if it comes w/ a one year warranty. so at least ur good for that. i emailed the guy from china ($312 unit) and he emailed me a pic of the current unit which looks exactly like urs...so im assuming its the same.

hope all goes well with ur unit. still contemplating on whether or not to go this route. my previous car got broken into because they were trying to steal my double din.

Last edited by beangrower; 05-20-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Automax asked me not to post what I paid in an open forum like this. I will PM you. Anyone that wants to know can just contact Automax, they are really helpful and easy to get a hold of.

Mat - 714-720-2797
mat.weiss@automaxservice.com

Old 05-20-2010, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
got ur pm. thanks for the info.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by beangrower
how much u pay for it?

*edit. nvm. jus made an account and saw the price.

looks similar to the one someone posted in my other thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...av-cd-etc.html

it was $312 plus $100 bucks to ship. dunno if it comes w/ a one year warranty. so at least ur good for that. i emailed the guy from china ($312 unit) and he emailed me a pic of the current unit which looks exactly like urs...so im assuming its the same.

hope all goes well with ur unit. still contemplating on whether or not to go this route. my previous car got broken into because they were trying to steal my double din.
I have contacted a number of those Chinese companies before jumping on this one as well. It is definitely NOT the same product. Anyone can rip off a product and make it look the same, but what's inside (the hardware components), the warranty, and the support is what matters. Also, the system on eBay has no brand name and the system itself (the back of it) is totally different than the FlyAudio. FlyAudio has a US headquarters in Washington, provides support, and a warranty. I didn't want to just buy something because it was the cheapest thing out there (I am sure you wouldn't either), especially if I plan on keeping my car for awhile. I would just hate to see someone get ripped off. For me, I am willing to pay more if I get phone support, a warranty, and a quality product. Also, I got a great price compared to other systems that do all the same things. Anyways, that is just my experience and why I went with this product.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:05 PM
question

Does this have RCA pre outs?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Yes it does. I didn't use them, but if you have an aftermarket setup with sub's/speakers, you can use the pre out's they give you with the FlyAudio.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:34 AM
I stopped by Automax the other day to ask them a question about my FlyAudio and they are having a sale on the Honda Fit FlyAudios ($499 with FREE shipping). That is pretty unbeatable for this system!

Old 10-28-2010, 11:40 PM
How is the sound Quality and processor speed? Has the the system had any hiccups or required a restart since installation? I am interested and await your feedback.

@kman
I emailed Automax to ask when they'd have it on sale again for $499, and Mat stated they've never had it priced as such. Too bad

Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Looks sweet, but wrong forum.

Moved.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:30 PM
The sound quality is better than the stock system. I have had my car into the dealership for some maintenance and even the Service Advisor/Tech's are impressed with the fit and finish of the system. I am not sure what you mean when you say "hiccups," but it has worked the exact same since the day I bought it. This system is on par with any Pioneer/Kenwood system in terms of quality, but offers way more features and the in dash/plug and play feature. I paid more than $499 for this system and I am super happy with it. I can't imagine my car without it.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Does this HU have a connection for Satellite radio?

Old 12-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Hey guys

For the people being intrested in the prodcut but are from Europe like me.

I was lookign for an Europe esteblishment of FlyAudio and i and ordered my unit trough them.

Flyaudio indash Systems
info@flynav.nl

You can also check their reseller page but they have no honda product resellers at the moment so i was able to order directly trough them!

Also my unit is a little diffrent from the one in this forum post.
FlyAudio Europe inproved some things regarding radio reception/features (RDS) and navigation it seems.

PS: Im really happy you posted such a detailed instal manual (Since i'm not so good at instalation shit :P)

Last edited by kavvers; 12-02-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
interested! now i just need the cash, and wiring for a sub!

i need one but not for 700, if i could get it for 500 id be down

can you bypass to have video play while driving?

i think this is going to be the next thing i purchase

flyaudio
jdm hazard
rear view camera
amp wiring it

Last edited by cfran55; 12-03-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Yes you can easily take the brake check of by going to the configuration panel of the unit

Old 12-05-2010, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by kman
The sound quality is better than the stock system. I have had my car into the dealership for some maintenance and even the Service Advisor/Tech's are impressed with the fit and finish of the system. I am not sure what you mean when you say "hiccups," but it has worked the exact same since the day I bought it. This system is on par with any Pioneer/Kenwood system in terms of quality, but offers way more features and the in dash/plug and play feature. I paid more than $499 for this system and I am super happy with it. I can't imagine my car without it.
I know you love your new toy, yes it look nice but come one... sound quality better? on par with Pioneer or Kenwood??? and only $499???

Sorry, but I call BS.

Very nice write up tho.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Wow thats really cheap altough I think 500$ is a little to low , i mean even for the chinese FlyAudio Version. I Also think its bullshit.

Mine cost 800 Euro's is a little more expensive but i don't regret it!

I already mentioned the upgrades Flyaudio Europe have done with my European unit and i think its a big inprovement in comparision with my friends Chinese version , My extra investment is defintly wort it!

OFF TOPIC: Anyone know a good rearvieuw camera for my Honda Jazz?

Old 12-19-2010, 03:50 AM
Does this get American Digital TV stations? I know similar units have the digital TV tuner as an option... can't seem to find that info.

Quick Reply: "FlyAudio" DIY In-Dash Navigation Install for GE8 ***PICS***