Adding Bluetooth to stock stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by johnalex731
Sadly, no. It does pause and resume if you get a call, and you can do next/previous songs and volume up and down. But you cant just pause and play songs. It's a trade off for bluetooth in my car that I'll Take.
Okay, how about switching between input sources or turning the stereo on/off, does that switch the audio off on the phone?
If not, I wonder if that bluetooth module is something that can be upgraded with new firmware from the company/custom.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Old 09-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Well I decided to got ahead and get the unit and I installed it yesterday. Thank you to johnalex731 for the installation tips. That screw is definitely tucked up in there, I was able to see it through the small hole the screwdriver goes through but just barely (smaller headed person may have better luck there lol). Getting the dashboard plastic off was harder than I thought it would be, feels impossible to get off right before for the plastic clips finally start to come out a little. I made sure to push the plugs tightly in and tested the stereo with new unit while it was still pulled out before I put it all back together. For the mic I placed it in the top middle of the windshield. For the wire, I just pushed it up under the 'foam' interior of the car and hid it behind the black rubber on the interior of the door and then into the dash of the car (can't see the wire anywhere).

Functionality wise it does exactly what I was looking for, turns on/off your most recent audio app (android) when you switch inputs or turn off the stereo. Occasionally this doesn't happen (fails to turn off the playback) when switching sources. I also found it doesn't when you turn off the car but that's solved by switching the source before turning off or turning off the radio first.
Music quality and talk quality appear to be good, I thought I heard some distortion listening to music but I believe it went away when I turned the bluetooth volume on the phone up.

Thank you to johnalex731 for being the initial guinea pig! If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tk3
Originally Posted by jnesselroad
Just throwing this into the mix, but Honda offers an accessory Bluetooth module that goes in front of the map lights. It's not "for the fit" but you can search and see thr others have added the Odyssey sunglasses holder on here, then the bt unit replaces the sunglasses holder. Just an FYI.
That's called Blueconnect and it was mounted on the sunglasses holder on the Accord and Odyssey (here's a link to the more recent version). It's quite expensive and doesn't seem to have a lot of the features I want.
There seems to be one from Honda itself (probably rebranded) that looks exactly like the BlueConnect. I investigated both and the STUPIDEST thing this outdated device didn't do is audio-streaming. NO AUDIO-STREAMING!!!! It's just for bluetooth phone call via the flimsy provided mini-speakers. Why would anyone want to buy a bluetooth solution that doesn't provide audio-streaming!!!!! This BT35-HON seems to be the way to go. I wish I had known about this BT35-HON before I bought this CLUMSY SCOSCHE's motorMOUTH II (motorMOUTH II stereo - Handsfree & Streaming Audio Car Kit) that has wires hanging out of it all over the place! And you have to press a bunch of buttons to make the damn thing work.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
from looking at the installation instructions with the instructions for the Honda USB interface, I cant have both. Looks like this will replace that.
They probably meant for the old Fits that don't have the USB port and looking to add both the bluetooth and the USB port, then they can't add both. If anyone looking to add both the bluetooth & USB port (for the old Fits), then the GROM (GROM USB, Android Smartphone, iPod, AUX, Bluetooth Hands Free Integration to a factory car stereo) devices might be the way to go.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Underneath shot of the mounting

Honda Fit Gallery - My '12 Fit/IMG 0723

where I mounted BT35 under Glove box

Honda Fit Gallery - My '12 Fit/IMG 0720

THE MIC

Honda Fit Gallery - My '12 Fit/IMG 0718
Hey JA, thanks for being the guinea pig. How do you switch to bluetooth? Do you have to press the [CD] or the [AUX] button?

Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by sumtingwong
Hey JA, thanks for being the guinea pig. How do you switch to bluetooth? Do you have to press the [CD] or the [AUX] button?
On my '09 fit you press the [AUX] button which will toggle between CDC, USB, and AUX in (if plugged in).

If you look up the manual for the unit it mentions what to do if you have an XM satellite radio, the USB control unit works exactly the same for wiring. I assume that means then we couldn't have this unit, usb, and an XM unit.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by sumtingwong
The AUX button, also, just a reminder, you can get the perfect view of that stereo screw if you pop open the bottom glove box like you were replacing the cabin air filter. Made it much easier to get it out.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Cool. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Underneath shot of the mounting

Honda Fit Gallery - My '12 Fit/IMG 0723

where I mounted BT35 under Glove box

Honda Fit Gallery - My '12 Fit/IMG 0720

THE MIC

Honda Fit Gallery - My '12 Fit/IMG 0718
Sorry for digging up and old thread. Johnalex731, thanks for taking the time to take photos and showing us your set up.

I have a question about the integration of this module. I never ever use my phone for music streaming and such and the main purpose would be for phone calls and I listen to the radio a lot. If I'm listening to the radio and someone calls, will it ring thru the car speakers? Or do I have to hit AUX first and then accept the call?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM
It doesnt use the AUX to play, it creates the eqivalent of another input masquerading as the CD, but since it connects automatically if the bluetooth on your phone is on, when you get a cll it switches over and when you hang up it goes back. At least mine does.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Oh okay, that makes sense... And sorry I'm a complete n00b at this.. I have the stock radio, no nav screen or anything.. will it be any issue with getting a new plastic frame to mount a big stereo like that into my car?

http://image.automotive.com/f/2010_h...ment-panel.jpg

That's the instrument panel I currently have in my car.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 PM
No problem man. Not a bother, that's what the forums are for. The bt module doesn't effect the front of the stereo. I have the stock CD player. I don't think you even need the aux input.

Last edited by johnalex731; 12-04-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone have pics on where they mounted the mic? I have a BT35-HON on order and just planning out my install. I was thinking of getting the Navi maplight base/lenses and hiding the mic in the middle slot with the holes where the navi mic would sit. However, looking at the parts website it looks like they sell this middle piece as an assembly with the mic for $105 and not just the plastic part which should cost no more than $3-$4.....can anyone confirm this? Would make for a cleaner install but dont feel like paying $100 for a mic I wont use.

I have a roadster 2 and have officially given up on it given the amount of static that is constantly interrupting the FM feed.....

Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 AM
This unit is great. I installed it today on my 2008 Fit. As stated on other threads here, and on a few other forums, the audio quality suffers when the file is less than 320kbps, which is the highest iTunes will encode an mp3 at. An equalizer on your audio app will help the lower quality files.

The phone I'm streaming from is an HTC EVO LTE, which has a Beats Audio sound enhancer for all songs' playback. The difference is night and day. The distortion is significantly less when playing tracks under 320kbps.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Quick post to throw my opinion on the BT35-HON.

I got it, and installed it on my Fit Sport '09. While the installation is certainly easy, as mentioned here before, I've had some issues with the audio output from an iPhone.

Before I have used either the AUX or the USB port, when installed the BT35 I immediately noticed an echo on audio playback. Not only on the music, but I tried it with text dictation and the echo is definitely present.

My brother got the BT35 installed on his Ridgeline '07 and there was no echo on his car.

Finally, I contacted the manufacturer of the BT35, USASpec.. which they claim "crystal clear audio" on the product page. After a few emails, they responded with:

The echo sound is normal (to a certain level), this is due to wireless audio transmission (different from FM MOD). It is more noticeable in smaller vehicles, since the acoustics is different. You will see when you put your brother's BT35 in your vehicle...
After putting my brother BT35 on my car the echo, in fact, was persistent...
Just informing you about this, and asking if you guys also have this same issue.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Smile BT35-HON WOKRS in 2012 Honda Fit Sport (No NAVI)

I recently installed the BT35-HON by USA spec to add bluetooth to a stock (non-navi) stereo in my wife's Honda Fit Sport. The install was very simple and the unit works perfectly. With the steering wheel factory buttons we now have a fully functional Bluetooth as if it came from the factory.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by boardz
I recently installed the BT35-HON by USA spec to add bluetooth to a stock (non-navi) stereo in my wife's Honda Fit Sport. The install was very simple and the unit works perfectly. With the steering wheel factory buttons we now have a fully functional Bluetooth as if it came from the factory.

I was wondering if it's just plug and play or do I have to splice into cables?