I bought my SiriusXM stand alone unit.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 02:39 AM
Thumbs up I bought my SiriusXM stand alone unit.

Well guys I may be in the minority on the forum. I had XM since 03'. I loved it because they offer a good group of Progressive house/trance/club offerings. Ever since my spinal cord injury, im BIG in various political views so I loved being able listen to FOX "NOISE" (he you got to know where my republican friends are coming from otherwise u look ignorant and I will NOT hold a political conversation with someone that does not know where the other side is coming from), MSNBC, CNN and other news sources. I digress.

I called XM telling them I bought a car with no XM and need to purchase a stand alone model. They advised me that since I was a current customer, they could offer me the XM Onyx EZ for FREE (msrp is 49.99) just pay 1st month subscription, shipping, activation...

XM Onyx EZ with Vehicle Kit - Shop - SiriusXM Radio

I stated I wanted the Onyx Plus which is top of the line. record up to 1hour of music if you pause and album art. I got that one own from 99.99 to 37.99 for a recondition one. Both units have a remote offered which is great because I'm strapped it in order to keep my balance and cannot reach the center dash touching small buttons to change channel...

SiriusXM Onyx Plus with Vehicle Kit - Shop - SiriusXM Radio

Ok so then b4 I gave them my card, the CSR said did you know you had a 37.00 credit? I asked when. He stated in 2004 (the year I was injured). Wow. I've 08 Accord EX-L NAVI & 07 TL TECH. Both of which had XM activated. Why no one said anything is beyond me but it paid my first 2 months of service. ill have it here in 8 days. BTW this offer is good until dec. Also put a friends car on my account. Every add-on gets 30% off or equal to 1mo service free.

I hope all this rambling made sense. If not ask away

Old 01-29-2015, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
i too have the onyx plus. i mounted it above the center console cup holders using heavy duty velcro. it seems though (cause i live in a place where roads are never bump/pot hole free) that vibration shakes the antenna connection loose... i think thats its only flaw on an otherwise really nice and affordable system

Old 01-29-2015, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
I am on the fence about getting XM-- would like to see photos of how you folks have it mounted.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by sooznd
......on the fence about getting XM-- would like to see photos of how you folks have it mounted.
Here's one on my GK Fit. It's a regular Onyx XM.

Attached Thumbnails I bought my SiriusXM stand alone unit.-ac7b0e2d-81d5-472d-aef3-6e4e5b2688d8.jpg  

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 01-30-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by sooznd
I am on the fence about getting XM-- would like to see photos of how you folks have it mounted.
No matter where you mount, all the Onyx radios can use the accessory remote control. I mounted mine temp using the vent clips. When I get it hard wired and hide the Aux and antenna cables, it'll sit top dead center of the vents above the radio or top center of gauge cluster. Those clips are flimsy as Hell but they'll do for now so I can enjoy BP 😂.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
I know that this is an old thread but I will post this for anyone researching the Onyx Plus XM radio. This is where I mounted mine. Although FM modulation input works well, I decided to go with plugging it in to the AUX input. First, I replaced the AUX cable with a longer 6' one. Then, I ran it under the dash. I drilled a small hole in the back of the top glovebox and then brought it out at the bottom, left corner, just like the USB cable.

Although XM recommends against it, I mounted the antenna on the dash, in the center, about an inch from the front of the windshield. The glass is so big, and angled, so that you get a clear view of the sky.

Although it looks like it might, the bracket does not affect the left side defroster operation.

Attached Thumbnails I bought my SiriusXM stand alone unit.-img_1405.jpg  

Last edited by garyhowie; 03-26-2016 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old 03-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by garyhowie
I know that this is an old thread but I will post this for anyone researching the Onyx Plus XM radio. This is where I mounted mine. Although FM modulation input works well, I decided to go with plugging it in to the AUX input. First, I replaced the AUX cable with a longer 6' one. Then, I ran it under the dash. I drilled a small hole in the back of the top glovebox and then brought it out at the bottom, left corner, just like the USB cable.

Although XM recommends against it, I mounted the antenna on the dash, in the center, about an inch from the front of the windshield. The glass is so big, and angled, so that you get a clear view of the sky.

Although it looks like it might, the bracket does not affect the left side defroster operation.

All that is too distraction. I have NAV. i put mine above I've the vents and have a remote foe the XM Onyx Plus. I use the USB thumb for the 32gb thumb drive. Can you use use iPod with voice?

Old 03-27-2016, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
All that is too distraction. I have NAV. i put mine above I've the vents and have a remote foe the XM Onyx Plus. I use the USB thumb for the 32gb thumb drive. Can you use use iPod with voice?
I don't have the Nav. It's not distracting to me at all. I don't change channels a lot on the XM and the GPS is positioned perfectly so that I can still see what's happening on the road while looking at the screen. Plus. I share the GPS and XM with my truck. I just keep separate docks in each vehicle and then it is easy to switch between the two. Your setup would be more distracting to me. But to each their own.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Installing Sirius standalone in EX workaround

Originally Posted by garyhowie
I don't have the Nav. It's not distracting to me at all. I don't change channels a lot on the XM and the GPS is positioned perfectly so that I can still see what's happening on the road while looking at the screen. Plus. I share the GPS and XM with my truck. I just keep separate docks in each vehicle and then it is easy to switch between the two. Your setup would be more distracting to me. But to each their own.
Searched the forums for how to wire in Sirius in a 3rd gen EX and the solutions all were a compromise (built-in FM that is awful at best) or installing the inline FM module. Did not see but have tried with ease a Bluetooth transmitter (Aukey C3 unit for $25) that has the benefits of the inline unit without the $ or mess in installing. Plugged the unit into the audio jack, plugged the USB power cord into the USB plug right above, synced and voilà, semi-integrated Sirius that can move cars as I do. Bonus was the $20 - 5 month offer to come back to Sirius (SAVE20M).