does 2013 base model have a built in amp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 03:12 PM
does 2013 base model have a built in amp?

so i removed the OEM head unit so i can do a nexus 7 install on it.

i was planing to use a small amp that i have to power the speakers. but after reading some stuff Im confused if the car still have a amp separate from the CD player and the FM unit that i just pulled out.

i just hooked up a couple of wires from my phone to the front Left speaker through the harness(i did not cut it, just jammed the wires in to the pin holes)

and i could hear the music ever so slightly from the speaker.

my question is, does my car have a amt that has to turned on with the remote amp turn on wire and how much voltage i have to put through it to get it to work and not burn anything out.

thanks

Old 04-28-2015, 06:37 PM
The amp is built into the head unit; there's no separate amplifier. What you're hearing is just the headphone amplifier on your phone powering the speakers in the car. Since this is not a very powerful amplifier, you don't get a great deal of volume. (The headphone amplifier might max out at something like a quarter watt per channel. That means it can produce roughly 25 or so dB less than the factory radio through the car speakers—not too loud, but certainly audible.)

Old 04-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by DrewE
The amp is built into the head unit; there's no separate amplifier. What you're hearing is just the headphone amplifier on your phone powering the speakers in the car. Since this is not a very powerful amplifier, you don't get a great deal of volume. (The headphone amplifier might max out at something like a quarter watt per channel. That means it can produce roughly 25 or so dB less than the factory radio through the car speakers—not too loud, but certainly audible.)
thanks you Drew, yes i knew why i could here the music when i connected the phone, i was not sure if it was because the amp was turned off.

now its all cleared up. ill be hocking up a amp to the setup.

thanks again.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:12 AM
hi, did I just read that correctly? You're installing a Nexus 7 in place of your stock HU? Would you mind posting some pics? I have a nexus 7 just lying around and is planning to make it a mainstay in the car to act like a cheap audio system that looks a bit cool. 'Cept that I'm stumped with ideas other than letting the tab sit down in the middle with an AUX plugged in.