2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

T1R S-coil springs - rubbing issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
T1R S-coil springs - rubbing issue

i lowered my car on T1R S-coils last june/july. love the drop, love the way the car handles and feels. my only issue is that my 195/55R16's rub on almost all bumps. along with that, my winters that i'm running now, 175/65R15's rub on big bumps.
i've searched around on the forum, and see people are lowered on these springs, and are running different rims, with different offsets to stock, and they don't seem to be complaining about rubbing issues. i want to get a set of 16x7 +40 konig retracks for my car, but i don't think my car can handle it. which is odd, due to there being at least two 2nd gen fits on here running those exact rims, and no issues reported.
i'm pretty frustrated with this, and not really sure what to do.

thoughts?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
anything under +45 will rub

Old 04-04-2011, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds to me like you might be running an incorrect offset on the car. May I ask what spec you are running?

Regards,

Jason @ AJR

Old 04-04-2011, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
I'm running 16x7 +40 and I'm T1R s-coils and I do rub on the front but only on big bumps, very hard turns, but nothing serious. The rubbing I experience is rare, it's just perfect IMO.

Oh my tires are 205/45/16

Old 04-05-2011, 01:23 AM
OP's 195/55R16 are on stock wheels so offset is not the problem. If I'm not mistaken, the OP lives in a not so good condition roads. An aggressive lowering springs on such road conditions will kill struts in no time... so my guess is you're already bottoming.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member
Yea, I'm running 195/55's on stock rims. Ill get the struts checked out, or maybe buy some new ones regardless.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Im lowered on stock wheels with the same tires and i rub on t1r springs since the first day. My inner fender wells have been eaten up a bit, i love the look but I hate the rubbing and that with one person in the car. When my friends and when people are with me its worse. I think I will be removing them soon. a&j racing did not want to do anything for me when I brought this to their attention.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Never had a problem with rubbing issue on mine, maybe cause I left the bump stop on?.?.?

Only rubbed one day while auto-xing with 17x7 / 215/45R17 tires.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:50 PM
no offense but... Swift Sport Mach springs FTW!!!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
I'm running 16x7 +40 and I'm T1R s-coils and I do rub on the front but only on big bumps, very hard turns, but nothing serious. The rubbing I experience is rare, it's just perfect IMO.

Oh my tires are 205/45/16
I am running the T1R B52 coil-overs and my car is about an inch lower than the S-coil springs with running 17x7 +52 offset +15mm spacers which makes it +37 and I have no rubbing issue.

Which part of the car is it rubbing against ?

Im lowered on stock wheels with the same tires and i rub on t1r springs since the first day. My inner fender wells have been eaten up a bit, i love the look but I hate the rubbing and that with one person in the car. When my friends and when people are with me its worse. I think I will be removing them soon. a&j racing did not want to do anything for me when I brought this to their attention.
We have never receive any emails, PMs or calls about your issue. I am sorry BUT we cannot respond or help if you don't contact us for your issue because we don't know !

From what you are mentioning, it sounds like when you turn the steering all the way to one end, it will rub against the wheel wall. It happens to a lot of cars that is lowered more than 1.25-1.5" and this is not a spring issue. If you don't force to turn the the steering to the very end, you will reduce the rub.

If you go with another spring that has about the same ride height, it will do the same thing.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
heres some shots of what i'm talking about.....

this is my drivers side ride height

here you can clearly see where its rubbing, and even rubbed a few times on the way home from work...the mud is gone

this is where my fender used to be attached to my inner fender....clearly gone....lol

this is my actual fender...its kinda bent from getting rubbed so much, and more than likely turning while driving and hitting bumps. also, the inner fender liner is gone....the fender is on the right side...its a vertical pic turned horizontal

next is my passenger side ride height.

same as the drivers side, heres the passenger side, with the attachment gone

and lastly, is my fender, my hand on the bottom blocking the sun, you can see how its right down to bare metal.

tires are, once again, 195/55R16's.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like a lower profile tire is in your future. like a 205/45/16. Has it been getting worse and worse?
I'm getting ready to drop my GD3 and this is what I don't want to happen. but i'm going mild on my drop 1.5" front and .9" rear on gf 210's
There is "bthasht" here and he's good with drop and rims give him a shout.

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 04-12-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:56 PM
that kind of drop? on just springs???

definitely check those struts out and get better springs that will fit your driving conditions or you'll end up tossing struts 1/4 their life expectancy or... do it the proper way and go coilovers.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by sandblasted
heres some shots of what i'm talking about.....

this is my drivers side ride height

here you can clearly see where its rubbing, and even rubbed a few times on the way home from work...the mud is gone

this is where my fender used to be attached to my inner fender....clearly gone....lol

this is my actual fender...its kinda bent from getting rubbed so much, and more than likely turning while driving and hitting bumps. also, the inner fender liner is gone....the fender is on the right side...its a vertical pic turned horizontal

next is my passenger side ride height.

same as the drivers side, heres the passenger side, with the attachment gone

and lastly, is my fender, my hand on the bottom blocking the sun, you can see how its right down to bare metal.

tires are, once again, 195/55R16's.
Did it ever rub with stock tires ? Does your suspension makes any sound ?

Before I went with coil-overs, I just rock on T1R springs, camber bolts and with 205/40/17 with x7.5 +43 offset. I didn't have any issue rubbing at the track and doing harsh figure 8s.

Never had a problem with rubbing issue on mine, maybe cause I left the bump stop on?.?.?

Only rubbed one day while auto-xing with 17x7 / 215/45R17 tires. 04-06-2011 05:53 PM
Just a note, I am always running a bumpstop uncut. It is not necessary to cut the bumpstop. The bumpstop works as a stopper from preventing the shocks to bottom out.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
when i had my stock 185/55R16's, i rubbed on big bumps if i didn't slow down, or they caught me by surprise. i drive to avoid bumps. i'm all over the place when it comes to potholes and shit. my suspension doesn't make any noise whatsoever, and there is no "bang" or anything when the suspension compresses telling me i'm "bottoming out". i've driven on a blown strut before(different car) and these don't sound anything like it. its clearly the tires rubbing my inner fenders/fenders period.

i seem to be the odd man out on this somehow? could it be a faulty spring set? i love the look of the car and the stance it has, theres no complaints there. i just don't get how people with the same springs, on the same car, are running 17's, or an offset of 40, when i have no option of even going with wider tires on my stock rim for jesus sake. lol. needless to say, i'm a little frustrated.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Edit: I had a fairly long post but I dcided to say this.

Your tires are too tall for the springs. When you had stock tires, they should've only rubbed the fender (in that area) if you doing a "hard turn" when hitting those big bumps. Now that you tires are wider and therefore taller (same aspect ratio), you increase the likelyhood of rubbing.

I have Swift spring, lower than stock offset wheels (+43) wider tires, but the aspect ratio of the tires makes the height the same as stock. And I do only rub on "hard turns" WITH big bumps. I can only guess the Swifts have a stiffer effect than your springs, limiting the upward travel).

Last edited by Goobers; 04-13-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by sandblasted
when i had my stock 185/55R16's, i rubbed on big bumps if i didn't slow down, or they caught me by surprise. i drive to avoid bumps. i'm all over the place when it comes to potholes and shit. my suspension doesn't make any noise whatsoever, and there is no "bang" or anything when the suspension compresses telling me i'm "bottoming out". i've driven on a blown strut before(different car) and these don't sound anything like it. its clearly the tires rubbing my inner fenders/fenders period.

i seem to be the odd man out on this somehow? could it be a faulty spring set? i love the look of the car and the stance it has, theres no complaints there. i just don't get how people with the same springs, on the same car, are running 17's, or an offset of 40, when i have no option of even going with wider tires on my stock rim for jesus sake. lol. needless to say, i'm a little frustrated.
PM me your phone number and we will get back to you shortly. If there's any defect, we are more than happy to replace them for you

Edit: I had a fairly long post but I dcided to say this.

Your tires are too tall for the springs. When you had stock tires, they should've only rubbed the fender (in that area) if you doing a "hard turn" when hitting those big bumps. Now that you tires are wider and therefore taller (same aspect ratio), you increase the likelyhood of rubbing.

I have Swift spring, lower than stock offset wheels (+43) wider tires, but the aspect ratio of the tires makes the height the same as stock. And I do only rub on "hard turns" WITH big bumps. I can only guess the Swifts have a stiffer effect than your springs, limiting the upward travel). Today 02:00 PM
My opinion is, if you drive through pott holes like few inches deep, the lowered suspension will bottom out for sure.

Like I said, I have ran the springs with 205 tires and a +43 offset and I never had any issues.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AJ PwR Jr.
PM me your phone number and we will get back to you shortly. If there's any defect, we are more than happy to replace them for you

My opinion is, if you drive through pott holes like few inches deep, the lowered suspension will bottom out for sure.

Like I said, I have ran the springs with 205 tires and a +43 offset and I never had any issues.

you have a pm my friend!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 PM
so do you still rub or was it a defect of the springs?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboDatFit
so do you still rub or was it a defect of the springs?

changed out my rims. rubbed more. rolled my fenders and it stopped. swapped out my springs for coilovers this summer. was not a spring defect or anything like that. just how the springs sit. springs and stock struts were all fine after the swap. i'm lower now, and rub even more. LOL.

Quick Reply: T1R S-coil springs - rubbing issue