2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

My JDM DISK BRAKE RS Rear Axle conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
Yes,

Using the part number, it is clear
That the mysterious leveling sensor is part of the HEADLIGHT Self Leveling System,
here are the list of parts connected to that ECU:

B-13-50

Old 04-29-2013, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator
well that figures it then. there is supposed to be an HID autolevelling headlight for the JDM Fits. still trying to find correct part numbers for the HID headlight and harnesses, ballasts. u think u can discover those. i think there is a minor difference between the HID and halogen lamps, but i want to see if there is a difference between light output, decent enough to compare it to projectors.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
well that figures it then. there is supposed to be an HID autolevelling headlight for the JDM Fits. still trying to find correct part numbers for the HID headlight and harnesses, ballasts. u think u can discover those. i think there is a minor difference between the HID and halogen lamps, but i want to see if there is a difference between light output, decent enough to compare it to projectors.

You ask for it,
I got it for you )

B-8 head light for Honda Fit frame DBA-GE8 - Genuine parts

and don't forget to buy the self leveling too, (link on my previous post),
cause I think the bracket for HID might be different cause they
are combined with self leveling... for RS model with the "S" package

WOW,
so my JDM Rear Axle came from RS with "S" Package !!!
no wonder they want me to pay more !!!
not that I need that sensor ... oh well...

Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
You guys figured it out already... other market Fits have auto-levelling headlights...

another thing we don't get here.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Checking in to see the status. Also how is the rear bumper project coming along?
The one question I have is why not buy the rear assembly off E-bay UK? I think I read where someone else did that but never installed could not find the thread.

HONDA JAZZ 2009 2010 2011 REAR AXLE BEAN | eBay

Thanks, should start a complete build thread.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Checking in to see the status. Also how is the rear bumper project coming along?
The one question I have is why not buy the rear assembly off E-bay UK? I think I read where someone else did that but never installed could not find the thread.

HONDA JAZZ 2009 2010 2011 REAR AXLE BEAN | eBay

Thanks, should start a complete build thread.
I just check that ebay UK listing link,
and that price is for just the Rear Axle Only,
without the Disk Rotor, without Brake Caliper, without brake pad, without brake pipe, without brake hose and without Parking Brake cable. and most likely it is WITHOUT Rear Hub/Bearing too...

The seller ask you to contact them directly for price of complete assy.

but I wonder how much is shipping from UK to US, perhaps cheaper then from Japan.

Oh, I just read it again, and the item is in POLAND !!!
and they do ship to UK but MAY NOT ship to US...

the good things is they have 4 available though...

And you have to be careful when buying used stuff because usually people replace their rear axle when the rear axle were bend or have alignment problem due to hitting curb or accident...
there are several post on Fitfreak about bent rear axle.
It would be suck to buy used rear axle and after you install it,
(and buy the rotor, caliper, brake pipe/hose, parking brake cable etc etc,
only to find that it is a BEND rear axle).

Also the mileage is unclear too, so they might had several thousands miles on them and
you might have to replace the rear bearing because of the mileage...
I mean, there must be reason why they are asking for that cheap price

a brand new axle in Japan (WITHOUT rotor, caliper, brake hose/pipe, rear hub/bearing and other item needed)
so just axle ONLY already cost around $537 to $696 and that is without shipping cost from Japan to US,
and without Import Duty that US Custom might charge you since you are buying new item.

here is the link to list price of JDM RS Rear Axle with disk brake (but this is for axle only):
http://honda.epc-data.com/fit/dba-ge...teering/36960/

Regarding,
My JDM rear bumper...
funny you talk about my rear bumper
because just an hour ago, I stop by at other body shop near my house
and they quote $600 to $800 for install and paint (including modification of the rear steel beam). But I still won't have free time to install it until
perhaps next month... all the body shop want me to leave my car with them for at least 3 to 4 days !...

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 05-01-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Not really looking to do the rear swap myself just was wondering why no one was buying any of the rear axles from e-bay UK since there seems to be a lot of activity on the forum about rear disc conversions.

Not a bad price from the body shop.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Not really looking to do the rear swap myself just was wondering why no one was buying any of the rear axles from e-bay UK since there seems to be a lot of activity on the forum about rear disc conversions.

Not a bad price from the body shop.
Yes,
There are many people who is interested in doing rear disk brake conversion but most people have budget below $800.
Because if they have budget above $800,
then many will have bought the FastBrake.com rear disk conversion which currently sold for $825.
some people say that the Fastbrake conversion is only for GD,
but I think they also have for GE because the title clearly say
2007 to 2011 brake conversion... and from 2009 all Honda Fit are GE.

and if you want to do a rear axle swap, it most likely will cost more than $800.

but if people really want to do a DIY rear brake conversion by them selves,
I think it is possible to get it done around $600 only,
provided that you are willing to do all the bracket measurement your self,
go to machine shop your self and install everything your self,
You also had to avoid buying brand new parts and buy USED or Non OEM rotor and Rebuilt Caliper with standard brake pads, and using Non Stainless Steel brake hose, and of course some used parking brake cable. A stainless steel brake hose like Goodridge will bump up the price too much...

still if I were to do a rear disk brake conversion without swapping rear axle,
I would just buy a complete kit from FastBrakes.com which already include " Fastbrakes designed 11" rear drum to disc conversion for Honda Fit. Uses the factory calipers with 11" slotted/drilled rotors. Kit comes complete with all the needed parts: Rotors, remanufactured calipers, adapter kit, braided steel brake lines, park brake cables, performance pads."

That Fastbrakes kit is really a good value for money !!!
and came from RESPECTED/PROVEN Vendor and the size it self is very generous 11 in, so if you upgrade your front brake, it will be perfect !!!
come to think about it, I really CONFUSED on how fastbrakes.com make money on that kit !!! I mean the most they make on that kit is maybe only $100 to $150 per kit..., if they are lucky to get cheap parts,
maybe they are making $200 max per kit... which is a Fair Price...

and yet, I still have not see any GE owner bought the FastBrakes.com rear kit...(at least from what I read so far in this forum) so that show how sensitive budget is when it came to rear brake conversion... for GE !
I mean $800 could almost buy you a new T1R coil over and a new exhaust... for Honda Fit owner...

even T1R stop making their rear disk brake conversion...
which can only mean, they don't make too much money for it to be worth it...

Regarding the body shop quote,
I got another shop who quote me $500 but located further from my home.. so we will see when I have free time to let my car stay at the body shop...

Old 05-01-2013, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
The general consensus on the reason the fastbrakes kit wont work on the GE's is because the USDM GE8's have a welded rear hub/spindle. The GD's were bolted. That's what I remember from those threads...

Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
The general consensus on the reason the fastbrakes kit wont work on the GE's is because the USDM GE8's have a welded rear hub/spindle. The GD's were bolted. That's what I remember from those threads...
Well, alltrac101 show it can be done, so I am sure it is not a problem.
I think I read somewhere on fitfreak that some one here did contact fastbrake.com and I think fastbrake did confirm it can work on GE...

anyway,
the best thing to do is to Call or Email Fastbrake.com directly and ask whether their kit work for GE or not.

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 05-01-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
I bought several Caliper Paints, Brake Cleaner, Lubricant and also Wire Brush
hopefully tomorrow I can start painting the Caliper and the rotor ...
I had started doing a little wire brushing on the rotor, but not finished yet...

still I am now confused if I am going to keep the rear rotor or not,...
I had finished doing some research and several possible larger rear rotor
ranging from OEM Honda rotor to other brand rotor (Mazda, Mini etc),...
but I think the best choice would be the 2 piece rotor and hat combo from Wilwood !!! which is 11.4 inches !!!
but of course I am going to keep the original caliper so it won't be too powerful,
and I am going to buy this only after I buy the front Big Brake Kit that I had in my mind, so it will be BALANCE between front and rear braking !

The Front Big Brake Kit that I had in my mind is the 355mm rotor with 6 piston Brembo caliper as part of the Brembo GT Turismo Kit for Subaru BR-Z.
Because that kit had a PCD of 5x100 and a center bore of 56.1...
so if I have to modified, I only need to redrill to 4x100 and machine the center bore of the Brembo hat to sit perfectly on the Honda Fit front hub

hmmm... because of this, I might not install this rear axle until I had the front Big Brake Kit because it is easier to do the measurement for the rear Wilwood rotor with this JDM rear axle on my living room then installed under the car

but let's see... I am not sure yet...

I do think I should finished the first project of mine which is the JDM RS Rear Bumper...
it sucks to have a nicer (for me personally) rear bumper in my garage with my car still wearing the "stock" USDM bumper...

Name:  DSC06209_zpsc96a3ff6.jpg
Views: 2768
Size:  182.4 KB

Name:  DSC06208_zps6c4c5061.jpg
Views: 2765
Size:  147.9 KB

Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Here is the picture of the Rotor and Caliper of the Brembo for Subaru BR-Z.

Notice that the rotor hat only have 5 holes for the lug nut and NO OTHER HOLES,
so this make redrilling much easier. and hopefully I can even fit the 2 little holes for the centering screw like in Honda Fit standard rotor

Also the position of the Caliper on Subaru BR-Z is in FRONT Of the front axle just like Honda Fit,
so the Bleed Nipple will have the same orientation like our Honda Fit and would not give me problem when I am bleeding the brake !

Imagine that Brembo Brake on a Taffeta White Honda Fit Sport but with Yellow Color (instead of the red like in the picture) on the Caliper

it will make my car go slower for sure, but I really love the looks

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 05-01-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
An even better looking one is the kit from Audi RS5
because the caliper had the word "RS" written on it !!!

I know the RS for Audi is RennSport while for Honda RS is Road Sailing LOL (Big Different) hahaha

but hey, RS is RS right ? hahaha

unfortunately, from the pictures, looks like the offset of the Audi RS5 might be too small (wheel had to be push outside more) and I don't think Honda Fit offset can accommodate this, a pity since the new WAVE rotor is also very nice looking !!!

The PCD and Hub can be modified too by redrilling and hub centric ring for the hub...
The Caliper for this RS5 kit are 8 piston caliper !!! (Brembo of course)
and the price is even cheaper than the Brembo for Subaru BR-Z kit !!!
yes it is CHEAPER, by several hundreds dollars !!!

oh, do I mention that the rotor for this RS5 kit are 365mm which mean it is bigger then Brembo for Subaru 355mm and still can fit under 18in wheel !!! yes a Wave style rotor at 365mm will looks the best !!!

too bad the offset... !!!

here are the pictures:

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 05-01-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
When I am sure that I am going to buy the Brembo Front Big Brake Kit,
well I am pretty sure that I want to get it, but have wait for the "budget" to be approved hahaha (if I can get my budget to get approved hahaha)...

then I need the Wilwood upgrade for my rear rotor and here are the Perfect Wilwood part to balance the front BBK:

(note, I update the part number for the Wilwood since I just found a better fitting parts,
here it is:

For the Hat:
http://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNo...temno=170-6288

Rotor material Super Alloy:
http://www.wilwood.com/Rotors/RotorP...emno=160-12155

Rotor material Iron:
http://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNo...temno=160-1601

Bolt for mounting Rotor on the Hat:
http://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNo...30-8390&vpnf=1

Hubcentric Adapter, Rotor Registration Ring, 2.438 inches Axle Register Internal Diameter
(I am not sure whether this hub-centric ring will be perfect fit or not, but since it is cheap, might as well try it)
http://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNo...0-12761&vpnf=1

(the part number are the last 8 digit on the web link above,
but sometimes wilwood website that show this part seems to be down because of error)...

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 05-02-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Correction on Wilwood Part Number
Old 05-02-2013, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Old 05-02-2013, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Is that a solid rear disk rotor?
if it is then it might work.

The key for the rotor to work with stock Fit RS rear caliper is
the rotor thickness must be between 8mm to 9mm,
then if you don't want to remove the rear backing plate,
the offset of the rotor better be less then 18.7mm
and the rotor hat thickness better be less then 6mm.
so total of offset and rotor hat thickness will be around 24.7mm or 25mm give or take.

from the picture the mazda miata rotor look like it have total offset and rotor hat thickness of less then 25mm so i think this might work.

of course you can always make it work with rotor that had deeper offset but you got to remove the rear hub in order to be able to remove the backing plate.

the pcd is already 4x100 on this rotor, but the centerhub might be smaller
then Honda's 61mm center hub (for the rotor not the wheel),
but you can always machine the diameter larger...
so this is not a problem too...

the only problem is,
will the vendor sell this rotor and hat only,
or they require you to buy the complete kit?
and what is the price?

the wilwood rotor and hat combo can be bought ala carte,
and they might even getaway without using the centering hubcentric ring
because on the wilwood hat, it already have holes for 2 mounting bolt
that should center the rotor ala Honda OEM rotor !

although me personally will still machine a hubcentric ring just to be sure

here is the wilwood hat pictures:

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 05-12-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
That rotor looks to be a Disc Brake Australia piece, so definitely can buy just the rotor and/or top hat separately or as 1 unit with both pieces already together.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Last Week I apply the Primer Coat VHT Paint to the Caliper and Rotor (face), (VHT Paint Code SP118 Flat White Primer)
and since the instruction said to wait for 7 days for paint to cure,
that is why I only bake it in oven today.

Here are the pictures after I bake it in the oven:
Name:  DSC06289_zps51bcc2cf.jpg
Views: 2783
Size:  149.8 KB

Then I wash them, clean them and dry them,
then I paint the caliper YELLOW
(VHT Paint Code SP738 Bright Yellow)

Here are the pictures:
Name:  DSC06291_zpsc0aa60f2.jpg
Views: 2929
Size:  126.8 KB

For the Rotor Face, I paint them Aluminum color
(VHT Paint Code SP735 Cast Aluminum), but I need to paint the rear face of the rotor tomorrow since I had to flip it, and I cannot do it now since it will ruin the front face paint... (don't have room/place to hang them with coat hanger)...
after this, I will wait another 7 days to cure and then bake them again in the oven, then I will apply clear coat to the caliper only, and wait another 7 days and bake them again... still long long way to go

I don't think I will use this rear rotor though cause I plan to install a larger 2 piece 11.44in diameter Wilwood rotor, but since I already bought the paint, so I had to use it anyway, otherwise it will be a waste...

here are the rear rotors:
Name:  DSC06292_zpsbcf6fa52.jpg
Views: 2705
Size:  135.6 KB

Old 05-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Banned
Paint is looking good. It will be hard to miss the conversion in this color.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
Paint is looking good. It will be hard to miss the conversion in this color.
The short story:
hehehe, that's the point of the yellow color

the long story:
as you know I was also interested in the 8 piston Audi RS5 caliper,
and the RS5 caliper had the "RS" emblem with some Square part of it in Red Color,

at first I want to paint my rear brake caliper Red,
but if I paint it red then if I buy the Audi RS5 caliper, and paint the Audi RS5 in matching Red,
the Red "square" part of the "RS" emblem will blend/disappear with the background Red Color.
(yes I don't like the Black overall color of the RS5 caliper and want to paint it either Red, Yellow)...
so I figure if I paint the Audi RS5 caliper in Yellow,
then the Red Square part of the RS emblem will still show up since it is Red emblem against Yellow overall color, that is why I end up buying the Yellow paint...

but after some thought,now I think that I should not buy the RS5 caliper,
because the RS5 caliper is for 34mm thick rotor and I think a 32mm thick rotor of the Subaru BR-Z Brembo GT Turismo kit will be better for Honda Fit since it is lighter and narrower...

Beside the 6 piston Brembo Caliper from the Subaru BR-Z kit is actually
larger in overall size compare to the 8 piston Audi RS5 caliper !!!
plus the 6 piston design should be easier on our Honda Fit master cylinder... (hopefully, otherwise I had to find a bigger master cylinder)...

Since I don't want to waste the yellow paint that I had bought,
so I will stick with Yellow now instead of red...

and when I buy the Subaru BR-Z Brembo GT Turismo kit,
I will buy the kit with the Brembo caliper with the yellow color...

I know, complicated story hahaha...

but it is even more complicated to allocate the budget to buy the Subaru BR-Z Brembo GT Turismo kit hahaha
still don't know when... oh well...

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 05-18-2013 at 04:56 AM.

Quick Reply: My JDM DISK BRAKE RS Rear Axle conversion