2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Christmas comes early. Redshifts Koni/Groundcontrol Coilovers

Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Order the rear shocks for my 12 Sport today actually running down tomorrow to pick them up about one hour drive want to get to install over the weekend.
Sweet!

I have a tracking number for my rear's too Looks Like I will be the first GD to give them a spin... Going to AutoX this Sun without them, and then next Sun with and should have a COMPREHENSIVE review ready to go!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
I was wondering on the chamber bolts is this worth doing on my GE I only have Eibach Pro kit on it? Would I notice really any difference in handling and do you need a alignment after installing?

Old 06-20-2013, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
Sweet!

I have a tracking number for my rear's too Looks Like I will be the first GD to give them a spin... Going to AutoX this Sun without them, and then next Sun with and should have a COMPREHENSIVE review ready to go!!!
Great glad there is interest Chris is a good guy had him install my Eibach pro kit last year.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Oh MAN!

Camber FTW!!!

Even on a stock Fit, -1.0 or more camber greatly enhances handling. -1.5 is even better, and -2.0 is great for daily an AutoX use. You MUST get an alignment to have it accurately setup, and as soon as you go to negative camber, you need to adjust toe settings as well. I HIGHLY recommend setting the front toe to zero. Zero toe and negative camber will not effect tire wear (daily drive that way and have for 3+ years.) It WILL increase turn in response and over all grip. Go to a shop you can trust, or find a Firestone and get the life time alignment!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks I know Chris sells the bolts was thinking while I was down there getting a set.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
He also stocks the Progress RSB, and if you don't have one that is a MUST have as well!!! Still need to order one for the GF's GE, but she's getting tires first

Old 06-20-2013, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks brought BlueBoogers last year when he was parting out his Fit. I do notice a difference and hope the chamber bolts and rear shocks just add to it. Eventually may consider rear spacers to widen the track currently running OEM sport wheels will need tires later in the year will have around 30k within a year and a half of ownership.

Last edited by cjecpa; 06-20-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Thanks brought BlueBoogers last year when he was parting out his Fit. I do notice a difference and hope the chamber bolts and rear shocks just add to it.
They SO will! Looking forward to your review

Old 06-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Man thanks to you guys I will be able to get some good feedback on several mods I'm considering as well

I may do the yellows for the rear or the STR.T all around when they are available.
I'm leaning more toward the rears only at this time.

I have Swifts and rsb now and love the improvement over stock.My ideal set up for my spirited driving would be to add the following.

light weight 15" wheel
camber bolts -1.5
BFG Rival 205/50/15
Koni yellow rear shocks

That ought to get this baby to rotate!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Basically trying to do the same improving on the car's attributes of handling.

Per Koni website

Frequently Asked Questions

General

Q: What is the difference between KONI STR.T (orange) and KONI Sport?

A: First of all there is a difference in basic shock design: KONI Sport is adjustable, Koni STR.T is not. A second difference can be found in the valving: where KONI Sport is developed to provide an overall sportier performance, KONI STR.T is best described as semi-sporty: improving the road handling to a considerably sportier level than standard (also suitable for lowering), with an overall comfortable feel.

Last edited by cjecpa; 06-20-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 PM
I ran Koni Streets on my 2011 Mustang 5.0 with Eibach Pro Kit springs and loved the handling and feedback.

I know we are talking two different animals but the Streets work well with lowering springs and they are much improved over stock dampers.I'm sure this will apply to the Fit as well.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Koni STR.T's in the front is ideal. They should be roughly the same dampening as a Sport on it's softest setting.

Koni Yellow's in the rear is perfect as it allows a higher rear spring rate and the adjustment allows you to go from comfy to tail happy in a few seconds.

zilla8: I like your list... but on a GE, those are some TINY tires! they are 4% smaller than stock (23.1 compared to stock 24.0)... Limiting the speed you could hit in 2nd for AutoX to something like 54mph... Using a 225/50R16 tire would let you get to 58mph in 2nd on a manual 09+ Fit... That's what GRM did all the testing on (well bench racing) for the Street Touring FWD comparison article... And that is ON the redline of 6800RPM... The Rival does come in that size: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes And there are lite 16"s out there...

I have the 205/50R15 Rival's on my GD and will be putting them to the first test this Sun!

Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
I have nothing against the Koni Street just with the yellows having the capability to adjust the ride firmness is what I like. For the fronts I would probably like a set of the streets because if the adjustment on the yellows is on top it will be a pain to adjust based on the location. If most cases would never adjust it.

On my GE I have consider 15" based on some of the pictures I have seen did not look bad.

Name:  DSC_0012.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  145.9 KB

Old 06-20-2013, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Nothing wrong with 15's on a GE! I happen to REALLY like that look.... You just have to keep in mind the accompanying tire size diameter 205/55R15 has a 23.9" Diameter which is close enough to not terribly throw off the speedo/odometer. It's a 4.4" side wall as opposed to a 4" one so it would look a bit chunky, but that is WAY better than being almost an inch smaller in diameter than the OEM tire!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
I was using the wheel calculator you posted in another thread comparing tire size it can make a big difference one actually made the speedo off 10%.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 PM
.... i have some interesting info...

I was just talking to Lee Grimes at Koni the other day. He is one of the lead development guys there, and we were discussing how something things are changing a bit at Koni about their capability with various things... looks like things may be improving in the next couple years. Lee was involved in the development of the Fit... they had a development car they were using, and they came up with valving on the STRT shocks they really like... and as Lee put it... it's a big improvement over stock. The STRT will be a full strut in front (no fabrication required)!!! So, what is awesome is that the STRT in front would be fine and would match well with the Sports in back. Usually on a FWD car, it's more important to be able to turn the rear shocks up... I usually run softer in front than in the rear because FWD car need as much traction in front, and softer is better for that.

So, Koni will have the STRT shortly I think... and we'll have the Sports for the rear. It's a truly great option... and if you really want better performance, then coilovers with front and rear Sport Yellows is also available.

I think the performance suspension outlook for the Fit has gotten hugely better in the last few months with all the Koni stuff available now.

Chris

Old 06-21-2013, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
^
THIS!!!

I actually have a friend who just finished working with Lee to get a set of double adjust sports made four the rear of his Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Can't wait to have Koni's on MY Fit!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 02:46 PM
The great thing is with any of the Konis you will have more suspension then power with a stock Fit lol

With just Swifts/RSB and tires I can push my car to the absolute limits and still not overpower anything with the massive 117hp

as far as going down to a 15" wheel with the 205/50 no problem for me infact I'll welcome the gear ratio effect on my A/T and acceleration improvement.

coming from a big V8 Mustang that got 9-10 mpg any mpg hit will not be noticed on the Fit.I can deal with the speedo being off so I'm good.

The cool thing about handling mods is you can go back to stock real easy if that's what you want to do.

Big thanx again to all of you guys for the feedback and updates.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 PM
you need a sprintex supercharger kit on your fit...... probably would be a hoot with an extra dose of hp....

Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zilla8
as far as going down to a 15" wheel with the 205/50 no problem for me infact I'll welcome the gear ratio effect on my A/T and acceleration improvement.

coming from a big V8 Mustang that got 9-10 mpg any mpg hit will not be noticed on the Fit.I can deal with the speedo being off so I'm good.
Oh, DUH AT... You guy's have the taller final drive, I did all the calculations based on a manual

Soooo... You could still hit 61mph on the 205/50R15's... Sounds actually ideal to me

Haha you can EASILY use all the ponies in these poor little cars!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Christmas comes early. Redshifts Koni/Groundcontrol Coilovers