2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Warped rotors....again

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 01:44 PM
Warped rotors....again

I've read a few threads on this and didn't really want to start my own thread but this seems to be a reoccurring problem with the cars I own. I swear I don't drive that hard and do not race and I really try to go easy on the brake peddle, but on 2 of the last 3 vehicles I have owned I have warped the rotors. My Taurus SHO, which was known for warped rotors, but my I30 not so much. The only ones I did not warp were the brakes on my 2004 Mustang Mach 1 which had 13" rotors. I had put some hawk pads on my I30 and those seemed to help but I did not own the car long enough to see if that fix was permanent.

What options do I have for larger rotors? Seeing as I have the base Fit with the smaller wheels, I see even some of the sport Fits have trouble with clearance? Does someone make better then OEM rotors in the same size? Does anyone have experience with pads alone? Specifically Hawk hps. I've read a few places people replacing the rear drums with rotors. Does that really help take some load off the fronts?

Thanks for any input...

Last edited by DavefromCA; 03-26-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:17 PM
common problem with fits. Faulty hardware above the caliper slips off causing constant fraction causing you to fuck your rotors quick.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by FITtedREY
common problem with fits. Faulty hardware above the caliper slips off causing constant fraction causing you to fuck your rotors quick.
Wow really? On a newer car? Thats news to me.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:39 PM
Yea its bullshit there is no TSB out on it tho but you see honda fits with a buncha miles come into my shop all the time with brake issues over and over again. Best to replace ALL hardware with brake service and install property without bending or there you go again.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:24 PM
Yeah I don't think it's a design issue. Either there's a defect with the rotors or pads, hardware issue, or you need to be easier on your brakes. You don't need to brake hard to warp rotors... braking slightly and for a long time will warp them just as well, especially on grades.

It may not even be your actual rotors physically warped, just pad deposits embedded in the rotors. Get some decent quality pads, rotors and hardware and start from scratch. If it continues to be an issue you need to look at your braking habits... I know a lot of people on here want to point at the car and not at themselves, but there's nothing wrong with a little introspection, especially if you've had this issue with your other cars, I mean that constructively

Hawk HPS are okay daily driving pads and not much more than some of the better quality parts store pads. Not a huge performance improvement but decent quality. Centric Premium rotors are made the same as Stoptech rotors, just without the slots, and are good quality at a lower price.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Yeah I don't think it's a design issue. Either there's a defect with the rotors or pads, hardware issue, or you need to be easier on your brakes. You don't need to brake hard to warp rotors... braking slightly and for a long time will warp them just as well, especially on grades.

It may not even be your actual rotors physically warped, just pad deposits embedded in the rotors. Get some decent quality pads, rotors and hardware and start from scratch. If it continues to be an issue you need to look at your braking habits... I know a lot of people on here want to point at the car and not at themselves, but there's nothing wrong with a little introspection, especially if you've had this issue with your other cars, I mean that constructively

Hawk HPS are okay daily driving pads and not much more than some of the better quality parts store pads. Not a huge performance improvement but decent quality. Centric Premium rotors are made the same as Stoptech rotors, just without the slots, and are good quality at a lower price.
Really helpful response, thank you. The weird thing is I am constantly aware of how hard I am on the brakes, and really make an effort not to abuse them. I REALLY miss my Mach1 brakes, but I fear the cost of doing something similar on my Honda would be too high. The I30/Maxima community really have a positive view on the hawks. I think at this point I may just have the rotors turned and try the Hawks.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Ah, do not turn rotors, just replace. If they really do have runout and are warped, they will just warp again due to thickness variation across the rotor. I suggest checking for runout or if you don't have the equipment to do that or don't want to take it to a shop, just replace them. If it is just pad deposits turning them might fix them though. Rotors are so cheap, just start fresh, that is my advice here.

Hawk HPS are not bad pads by any means, I think a lot of people just expect more out of them than what they are designed to give, which is a low dust, low noise, low cost slight improvement that you can drive every day. I have had them before and was not super impressed, but that was track driving... on the street they were fine.