2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Recommendations on widest tire, Swift springs and shocks please for new owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Recommendations on widest tire, Swift springs and shocks please for new owner

I apologize if this info is elsewhere. Just bought a 2011 Sport which is completely stock.

Plan is to get either Eibach Prokits or Swift Sport Compact springs. It appears the Eibachs lower the car slightly more, but does anybody know which are stiffer? Can't seem to find the rate on the Eibachs.

Any recommendations of shocks a little stiffer than Koni ST.R? From what I understand the ST.R is just slightly stiffer than stock.

Lastly, what is the widest tire that will fit without rubbing, assuming proper offset. Will 225's not rub?

Thanks everyone.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Just get coilovers if you are wanting more of a drop. Or get swift springs. Thing is you don't want to drop more than 1.5 in on your stock struts because they weren't designed to be lower so over time say you mess them up and you couldn't go back to stock while repairing etc. And by rubbing it all depends on rim size, width and offset and same for tires. If you get coilovers you have more room to play with because you could adjust the height if it rubs. But if springs you have a tinier window to play with

Old 06-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by sukisenpai
Just get coilovers if you are wanting more of a drop. Or get swift springs. Thing is you don't want to drop more than 1.5 in on your stock struts because they weren't designed to be lower so over time say you mess them up and you couldn't go back to stock while repairing etc. And by rubbing it all depends on rim size, width and offset and same for tires. If you get coilovers you have more room to play with because you could adjust the height if it rubs. But if springs you have a tinier window to play with
Thanks for your reply.

I don't want more of a drop though. Prokits will give me the amount I want. Also, I did find out the rate of the Prokits. They are a bit stiffer than the Swifts.

Swift Sport Compact are F: 129 lbs/in and R: 117 lbs/in. with a drop of 1.2in and 1.0in respectively

Eibach Prokits are F: 164 lbs/in and R: 83-186 lbs/in (prog.) with a drop of 1.2in and 1.4in respectively.

I'm gonna call Swift on Monday to ask if they make the Spec R for the Fit. That's what I have on my S2k. Or, if the 1st or 3rd gen Sport springs with fit the 2nd gen, as they are both far stiffer, but still nothing like what usually comes with coilovers.

I don't want coilovers for several reasons.

The wife is gonna drive the car as well, so I don't want it too stiff, and I don't know of any coilovers that fit that bill.

Good coilovers are far more expensive than springs and shocks and won't last anywhere near as long.

As mentioned earlier, a 1.4" drop is enough.

I haven't found any references to max width of tires except one thread were there are quite a few running 205's, and one guy running 215's without rubbing, but he never replied back to verify what his other components were.

So...anybody running 215's without rubbing much?

Old 06-15-2016, 06:20 PM
I have the Swift's and Koni STR's, I find them too soft for my liking. I may see if Hyperco has some springs that will work with the Fit. But i'm not sure if the Koni's will like it.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Boostedtaco
I have the Swift's and Koni STR's, I find them too soft for my liking. I may see if Hyperco has some springs that will work with the Fit. But i'm not sure if the Koni's will like it.
As you can see from my earlier reply, the eibach are definitely a lot stiffer than the Swifts. In fact koni pairs them and sells them with the eibachs on their own website. There's another thread somewhere on this site that lists all the different brands of Springs and their rates.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:47 AM
whoops, sorry i didn't that post.

I haven't been in a eibach car, but my friend has a 09' with the RSR springs (i think) and 215/40/17 on 17x7 rpf1's. It doesn't rub on the street, but its super stiff ride on stock shocks.

What size tire/wheel will you be using?

Old 06-16-2016, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Boostedtaco
whoops, sorry i didn't that post.

I haven't been in a eibach car, but my friend has a 09' with the RSR springs (i think) and 215/40/17 on 17x7 rpf1's. It doesn't rub on the street, but its super stiff ride on stock shocks.

What size tire/wheel will you be using?
Cool. Thanks. This is exactly the info I was looking for. I want to put the widest Tire I can on the car, so I was trying to find out if two fifteens would fit. I'll be buying new wheels of course, but haven't decided whether 16 inch or 17 inch. They'll be off that's closer to stock. Lots of people have 205, but I couldn't find out if 2/15 would fit on a slightly lowered car. I'll look up to see how low the rsr Springs bring the car, and then decide. On that other thread, if I remember, the rsr Springs were pretty stiff.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Funny how the Koni's are considered soft,,, on the fit,,, on nearly every other make they take turns with Bilstein for being harsh.. Wonder how that came about..

FYI some koni's used to be adjustable OFF the car if you fully compress them, and turn the body and rod till you feel the rod drop into an internal detent. You can then twist it and feel 5 clicks. if I recall as viewed from the rod end of the shock fully counter clockwise is soft fully clockwise is stiff. (Compression Only) Supposedly this let them use 1 shock on more vehicles..

Old 06-16-2016, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by davidc1
Cool. Thanks. This is exactly the info I was looking for. I want to put the widest Tire I can on the car, so I was trying to find out if two fifteens would fit. I'll be buying new wheels of course, but haven't decided whether 16 inch or 17 inch. They'll be off that's closer to stock. Lots of people have 205, but I couldn't find out if 2/15 would fit on a slightly lowered car. I'll look up to see how low the rsr Springs bring the car, and then decide. On that other thread, if I remember, the rsr Springs were pretty stiff.
No problem. I haven't dug too far in it, but i think a 215/45/17 fit, its just the offset that needs to be right. the 215/40 has a overall diameter of 23.7, and the 215/45 is 24.6. It's almost a full inch. The 225/45 is 24.9

I might play around with different sizes, when my friend gets new wheels, i have some 225 and 215's laying around. No telling when that'll be though