2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Making TPMS Sensors Operational

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Making TPMS Sensors Operational

heres another letter i got from honda about the tpms. hope this helps

danny-brickell honda

TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

Please be sure to complete the TPMS procedure, “Making TPMS Sensors Operational” on all 2009 Honda Fits.

The following procedure must be done at every Honda PDI. If this procedure is not done during the PDI, the TPMS indicator will come on after driving about 20 miles and create a new car customer comeback. The TPMS control unit sets one or more of these DTCs: 32, 34, 36, 38, or 41. The repair of any of these DTCs at PDI, or shortly after, is not warrantable if the PDI procedure was not done properly.

• Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).
  • Use a tire pressure gauge with a bleeder valve to quickly lower the pressure in one tire to 18 PSI or less… Note: The tire pressure must be lowered quickly, at least 3 PSI within 15 seconds, or the TPMS sensor in the wheel will not be activated.
  • Inflate the tire to the cold inflation pressure listed on the driver’s doorjamb sticker. Note: If you are in a cold climate region, make sure the tire is at the same temperature as the outside air before adjusting the pressure; otherwise, the TPMS low tire pressure indicator may show low tire pressure in cold weather.
  • Repeat the above steps for the other three tires.

To ensure accuracy, periodically check your tire pressure gauge against the Honda recommended tire pressure gauge, P/N 07AAJ-000A100, H/C 8298457. This tool was sent to all dealerships in August 2006 and is very affordable @ approximately $30.00 suggested retail.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Retired Moderator
More good gouge.... thanks!!

Old 10-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
More good gouge.... thanks!!
"gouge" ... did you mean to say "gauge" or was that a comment on charging (gouging) $30 for a tire gauge?

Old 10-16-2008, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone know how to disable it? It'll make buying aftermarket wheels a lot easier if you can turn it off and on.

Last edited by hanzo; 10-16-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by hanzo
Does anyone know how to disable it? It'll make buying aftermarket wheels a lot easier if you can turn it off and on.
Well, you could always just ignore the tpms indication.

What troubles me is the statement "not warrantable if procedure is not performed at PDI".

WTF, a mistake made by the dealer is not covered???

BTW, PDI means Pre-Delivery Inspection".

What does "DTC" mean? - Diagnostic Trouble Code is my guess

Old 10-16-2008, 10:53 PM
My TPMS light is on and has been since I took delivery 1-week ago. The light came on approx. 20 miles into my drive home.

If I follow the above sets will this clear the TPMS light? I do not have the time to screw around with the dealer pointing fingers as to who's problem this is.

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitmojo
My TPMS light is on and has been since I took delivery 1-week ago. The light came on approx. 20 miles into my drive home.

If I follow the above sets will this clear the TPMS light? I do not have the time to screw around with the dealer pointing fingers as to who's problem this is.

Thanks.
Reread the first post of this thread.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
So is there a way to actually set which PSI you want it to monitor or do you just deflate quickly and inflate to desired operating PSI and it will monitor that?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Retired Moderator
Question

Originally Posted by TWGE08
So is there a way to actually set which PSI you want it to monitor or do you just deflate quickly and inflate to desired operating PSI and it will monitor that?
Looks to be possible...?? not too sure though

"The TPMS control unit sets one or more of these DTCs: 32, 34, 36, 38, or 41."

I would think that these are tire pressure options..??? No ..??

Old 10-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by TWGE08
This is VERY interesting that there may be a way to reset them to different values. This doesn't really match info I found in a 2007 Honda service bulletin, but looks promising. Here's stuff from ServiceNews, Nov 2007:

* According to NHTSA regulations, the low tire pressure indicator must come on when the tire pressure is 25 percent below the listed recommended cold inflation pressure. To guard against tolerance variations, the low tire pressure indicator in Honda vehicles with TPMS is set to come on when the tire pressure drops to around 20 percent.

* To make things right, first check the tire pressures. If they’re lower than the recommended cold inflation pressures, fill the tires to their recommended pressures. If the low tire pressure indicator stays on after you’ve done that, drive the vehicle over 30 mph for about 1 minute—the indicator should go out.

* And although one or more of the low tire pressure TPMS DTCs (11, 13, 15, or 17) will have been set in the TPMS control unit, don’t bother clearing them—they just stay in memory.

This mentions different DTCs. I wonder if the original procedure in this thread is just to initialize the sensors and perhaps automatically set the sensors IDs? If that's the case, that might open possibilities for those running winter tires, etc. From the manual, there are both a low pressure idiot light and a TPMS fault idiot light.

Anyone able to look up these DTCs?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
I had this issue. Tires were at 40 psi. I filled them to 50. didn't matter, light still on. Called dealer. deflated them to 32. light went off right away.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:38 AM
My pressure gauge light is usually on now that it seems to be colder out. Tire pressure is about 33 all around. The light drives me crazy.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by anastasia3a
My pressure gauge light is usually on now that it seems to be colder out. Tire pressure is about 33 all around. The light drives me crazy.
Pull the light out from the cluster.... problem solved

Old 11-12-2008, 06:56 AM
my tpms light is been on since the day i got my honda fit.. the light was off after i got the free oil change from them then next day it was on again..after that i didnt care if its on.. i got used to it

Old 11-12-2008, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Looks to be possible...?? not too sure though

"The TPMS control unit sets one or more of these DTCs: 32, 34, 36, 38, or 41."

I would think that these are tire pressure options..??? No ..??
These are not tire pressure options. DTC's 32,34,36 & 38 indicate "tire pressure transmitting failure" (one DTC for each wheel position). DTC 41 indicates "abnormal signal receprion error".

Bottom line is that if the PDI procedure was not done correctly, then you should take your car back and have the dealer correct the problem. The "not warrantable" issue should be between the dealer and Honda, or, more likely, between the dealer and the tech that performed the PDI. No way should the customer have to pay for something that the dealer failed to do.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:44 PM
I just read this and my fit got the tpms light on from the dealer.....
Im gone try the first post procedure

Old 02-22-2009, 10:11 PM
So I just got my Fit and sure enough, the stupid TPMS light comes on after I got home with it. Thank goodness for this forum because I was going to be pissed that something was already wrong with my brand new car. Turns out it is the result of strange requirements by Honda for this system to be activated and someone not doing their job.

Is this function supposed to be done by the dealer prep guys or before even the dealer gets the car? I ask because when I called up to my dealer to get it fixed, they told me that 20-30% of their cars have this issue and that it takes an hour to service. An hour to let the air out of the tires and fill them back up? On top of that, 20-30% is a HUGE issue. How would any manager of that dealer find that acceptable? Talk about time and money wasted because of someone not doing their job. It is going to cost my dealer a day's use of another car while they fix mine.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:31 PM
I wish they didn't include this feature.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by ep3dan
heres another letter i got from honda about the tpms. hope this helps

danny-brickell honda

TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

Please be sure to complete the TPMS procedure, “Making TPMS Sensors Operational” on all 2009 Honda Fits.

The following procedure must be done at every Honda PDI. If this procedure is not done during the PDI, the TPMS indicator will come on after driving about 20 miles and create a new car customer comeback. The TPMS control unit sets one or more of these DTCs: 32, 34, 36, 38, or 41. The repair of any of these DTCs at PDI, or shortly after, is not warrantable if the PDI procedure was not done properly.

• Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).
  • Use a tire pressure gauge with a bleeder valve to quickly lower the pressure in one tire to 18 PSI or less… Note: The tire pressure must be lowered quickly, at least 3 PSI within 15 seconds, or the TPMS sensor in the wheel will not be activated.
  • Inflate the tire to the cold inflation pressure listed on the driver’s doorjamb sticker. Note: If you are in a cold climate region, make sure the tire is at the same temperature as the outside air before adjusting the pressure; otherwise, the TPMS low tire pressure indicator may show low tire pressure in cold weather.
  • Repeat the above steps for the other three tires.
Has anyone tried this (with Tire Rack TPMS mounted sensors e.g.)? Does it work? The service manual describes a more elaborate method using a device to make the system recognize each sensor.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
The dealer fixed my TPMS light this morning. When I showed up I explained to them that it was the TPMS light and not just that the tires were low on pressure. But the guy said "No problem, we will air them up and be done in 5 mins." I guess it was good that he thought that. When the guy took it back he saw the real issue and called back up to the front to ask if he should work on it right away. Since I had just bought the car 2 days prior, he told him to do so. It was done in 15-20 mins.

I like the fact that the car has this feature because I was never good at remembering to check my tire pressure. At least not until you could visably see that one had low pressure. But from what others are saying, the sensors are too sensitive and show the warning light if the pressure deviates even 1 pound. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Making TPMS Sensors Operational