2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Proper Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 04:21 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zardiw
It says 44 psi max pressure, so that's what I run mine at.

I don't give a crap about the ride. I get much better mileage that way.

My question is.....can the TPS be set to say 40 lbs by the dealer, or some other way?

z

lol... you're going to burst or bubble the tire on a big enough impact. it's not meant to be driven on at 44psi.
who the f- cares about mpg if the car's not safe and you'll be wasting more money on tires vs using correct psi.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:22 PM
It says 44 psi max pressure, so that's what I run mine at.

I don't give a crap about the ride. I get much better mileage that way.

My question is.....can the TPS be set to say 40 lbs by the dealer, or some other way?

z
Assuming you don't have a new Fit, TPMS (so far as I know) cannot be set to different pressures. Possibly different senders would have different trigger pressures—I'm not sure if they communicate the actual pressure or just an over/under indication.

At any rate, TMPS only complains if the pressure is too low.

(The new version uses an entirely different TPMS system that works by comparing rotational speed of the wheels to each other; a low tire would turn faster because it's a bit smaller diameter. Once reset, this should work approximately as accurately for any pressure you use.)

By the way, by running your tires at 44 psi, you're most certainly reducing your car's handling, particularly in an emergency situation. It will not corner or brake as well as with the proper pressure.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Have you looked at the sticker on the driver's doorjamb? That's the factory recommended pressure. Regardless of tire size, that's what will work for the car.
That is so wrong it hurts to read. It's the factory recommended pressure for the factory recommended size.

Originally Posted by kenchan
lol... you're going to burst or bubble the tire on a big enough impact. it's not meant to be driven on at 44psi.

who the f- cares about mpg if the car's not safe and you'll be wasting more money on tires vs using correct psi.
My tires actually say 44 psi on the sidewall, but who the f-cares? Honda recommends lower pressure for ride characteristics, but Dunlop says 44 is fine. I've been at 44 for more than 12k miles and I'm happy with it.

Drew is right that a harder tire won't grip as well. I'm happy with the grip at 44, though.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the handling is not affected because looking at the tire, it doesn't change the footprint that contacts the road.

I don't plan on a big impact.....and if I have one that bursts the tire, that will be the least of my concerns....lol

Planning on upgrading to higher quality tires with a 51 max pressure....and I'll run those at 51 too.

I've run at max pressure on every vehicle I've owned...for many many years with no problemas

BTW. If they wanted you to run at a lower pressure than the max.......wouldn't the tire companies state on the tire what the recommended pressure is?

And this is a 2013 FIT....fwiw.

z

Last edited by Zardiw; 08-22-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm pretty sure the handling is not affected because looking at the tire, it doesn't change the footprint that contacts the road.

I don't plan on a big impact.....and if I have one that bursts the tire, that will be the least of my concerns....lol
The best way to tell if it affects handling is to run some controlled experiments. If you have a skid pad nearby, that would be an ideal way to see...but too high a pressure definitely does affect handling. (It's not merely a question of contact patch, though that does come into play. There's also differences in how the tire conforms to minor irregularities in the road and to loads that are not perfectly vertical.)

BTW. If they wanted you to run at a lower pressure than the max.......wouldn't the tire companies state on the tire what the recommended pressure is?
They can't do that because the best pressure to use depends upon the load placed on the tire (among other things). If you examine the tire, it will usually say something like "max load xxx lbs at xxx psi." For lighter loading, a lower pressure is better. A typical passenger car, particularly a small one like the Fit, is not going to get anywhere near the max load of the tires. On bigger and heavier vehicles (such as trucks or motorhomes), the maximum tire load may well be the limiting factor in what you can carry, and the maximum inflation pressure for the tire is thus the recommended pressure and there's much less room for error.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
My tires actually say 44 psi on the sidewall, but who the f-cares? Honda recommends lower pressure for ride characteristics, but Dunlop says 44 is fine. I've been at 44 for more than 12k miles and I'm happy with it.

Drew is right that a harder tire won't grip as well. I'm happy with the grip at 44, though.

do you know wat MAX means? do you know psi increases as the tires heat up due air expanding inside?

never mind, just get off the road and out of people's way when you have a flat or crash into something.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Quoted from Tire Rack.
A tire's maximum inflation pressure is the highest "cold" inflation pressure that the tire is designed to contain.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian
Quoted from Tire Rack.

A tire's maximum inflation pressure is the highest "cold" inflation pressure that the tire is designed to contain.
well, if you're going to post that, you forgot the 2nd part of the quote from TR:

However the tire's maximum inflation pressure should only be used when called for on the vehicle's tire
placard or in the vehicle's owners manual

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=196

check your door jam for the recommended pressure.. i know it doesnt say 44psi. 44 psi is higher than the psi i use to hibernate my hobby cars during the winter...and those tires have maxes higher than 50psi.

44psi is just rediculously high.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Just run 35 front and 35 back. Best combination of comfort and mpg.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
I felt like I was driving through a thick soup last week. Kind of like the 77 Sedan deVille I had in high school. Over the weekend I checked and the left front was down to 41.

It's good to have that light, crisp feeling back.