2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Best price on Yokohama AVID Ascend Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Question Best price on Yokohama AVID Ascend Tires?

Trying to source the best 'drive out the door' price on a set of 4 Yokohama AVID Ascend tires. Looked at Tire Rack and Discount Tire. Prices range from $525 for Tire Rack (shipping to a local installer) to $615 for Discount Tire.

I'm including mounting, balancing, TPMS service, disposal fee, and road hazard warranty. This is a base 2012 Fit.

Any other suggestions for a reliable an cheap source for Yokohama AVID Ascend tires?

Old 02-09-2014, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Wait until Tire Rack offers a Yokohoma discount card (unfortunately, given the timing of your post, this seems to happen in the late fall; cards give you a rebate of around $50) and then have Walmart install them.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
Post Tire Coupon/Offer at Ford Dealerships

Found this:

A bit more per tire. Plus you must purchase the tires with a Ford Service Credit Card.

Website with details:
Tires for 2012 Honda Fit | Tire Finder

Old 02-12-2014, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Yokahama YK580

I just got a set of Yokohama YK580s' @ Discount Tire here in North Carolina. @ 30K miles the stock rubber was 'dodgy' in any standing water. Sales-guy knew I wanted the Conti DSWs and pitched them as Yokohama's competitor that and an apples-to-apples same tire. That is debatable but the price was right so I went for them. Looks like the YOK YK580 is a Discount Tire only product.

I went with a less expensive, readily available size from stock; 205/50-16. Have about 300 miles on them now. Certainly an improvement over stock but nothing earth shattering. Good, solid tire at decent price.

Here is how my bill ended up:
  • Tires: $436 ($109 ea.)
  • NC State Environmental Fee: $8.72 ($2.18 ea.)
  • NC Disposal Fee: $7.00 ($1.75 ea.)
  • Lifetime Spin & Balance: $64 ($16 ea.)
  • Yokohama Rebate: $60 (Prepaid Gift Card)
  • TOTAL: $485.62

PICS:

Old 02-12-2014, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Yokohama YK580s are not available in the base Fit size of 175/65-15. :-(

Old 02-12-2014, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
That's the point

Originally Posted by marklj
Yokohama YK580s are not available in the base Fit size of 175/65-15. :-(
Yup...you'll find very little in the stock size and when you do....it will be expensive. That is why I changed size. 205/50-16 is a pretty common size for an upgrade, you will find here. No rubbing, almost no change in speedo.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by StinklePink
I just got a set of Yokohama YK580s' @ Discount Tire here in North Carolina. @ 30K miles the stock rubber was 'dodgy' in any standing water. Sales-guy knew I wanted the Conti DSWs and pitched them as Yokohama's competitor that and an apples-to-apples same tire. That is debatable but the price was right so I went for them. Looks like the YOK YK580 is a Discount Tire only product.

I went with a less expensive, readily available size from stock; 205/50-16. Have about 300 miles on them now. Certainly an improvement over stock but nothing earth shattering. Good, solid tire at decent price.

Here is how my bill ended up:
  • Tires: $436 ($109 ea.)
  • NC State Environmental Fee: $8.72 ($2.18 ea.)
  • NC Disposal Fee: $7.00 ($1.75 ea.)
  • Lifetime Spin & Balance: $64 ($16 ea.)
  • Yokohama Rebate: $60 (Prepaid Gift Card)
  • TOTAL: $485.62
PS - Just drove these in the snow for the first time. First significant snowfall of the year here in North Carolina. 3-4" of unpaved roads, some lightly traveled. Never any blacktop showing. Granted the tires are only a month old but VERY IMPRESSED!

Lots of grip and very predictable in all situations. Made it home with no issues, weaving around other folks who were slipping and sliding. Certainly recommended at this price point.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
I work at a Dodge dealer. In 175/65/15, my system is showing Avid Ascend BWs listing at $102 each, Contiprocontact (Mini) BWs for $126 each and Dunlop SP Sport 01 (Mini) BWs for $154.80 each. They're all readily available.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
So I promised a long time ago to write a review of the Ascends, but I’ve been waiting until I drove them in the snow to do so. At the risk of hijacking this thread, I was up in Canada last week and drove in a lot of snow and so now, I think, is the time to write.

These tires are very good in snow, much better than the Sumitomos I had last time, and noticeably better than the stock Bridgestones that came with the car. They are also great in rain, both in terms of stopping and in terms of hydroplaning. In terms of noise, don’t expect miracles, but they are, I think, slightly better than the stock Bridgestones, and about the same as the Sumitomos. The treads seem as deep as they were when I bought them about 15k miles ago, although this is just an estimate from looking, not a measurement with whatever measures tread depth. But my guess is that we'll get well over 60k out of them.

Overall, I think these tires are much better than the stock Bridgestones, and a good value, especially given the limited selection available in the Sport size.

Edit: Oh, how could I forget? In terms of mileage, these tires seem to yield 1-2 mpgs more than the Sumitomos, and maybe 1 mpg better than the stock Bridgestones. Again, don’t expect miracles, but the mpg meter seems stubbornly to give a 1-2 mpg better reading per thankful than I remember with the Sumitomos (not sure whether this is because the Sumitomos were 205s or because of the tire itself), this after a full year of driving on them.

Last edited by Eugene.Atget; 02-21-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
So I promised a long time ago to write a review of the Ascends, but I’ve been waiting until I drove them in the snow to do so. At the risk of hijacking this thread, I was up in Canada last week and drove in a lot of snow and so now, I think, is the time to write.

These tires are very good in snow, much better than the Sumitomos I had last time, and noticeably better than the stock Bridgestones that came with the car. They are also great in rain, both in terms of stopping and in terms of hydroplaning. In terms of noise, don’t expect miracles, but they are, I think, slightly better than the stock Bridgestones, and about the same as the Sumitomos. The treads seem as deep as they were when I bought them about 15k miles ago, although this is just an estimate from looking, not a measurement with whatever measures tread depth. But my guess is that we'll get well over 60k out of them.

Overall, I think these tires are much better than the stock Bridgestones, and a good value, especially given the limited selection available in the Sport size.

Edit: Oh, how could I forget? In terms of mileage, these tires seem to yield 1-2 mpgs more than the Sumitomos, and maybe 1 mpg better than the stock Bridgestones. Again, don’t expect miracles, but the mpg meter seems stubbornly to give a 1-2 mpg better reading per thankful than I remember with the Sumitomos (not sure whether this is because the Sumitomos were 205s or because of the tire itself), this after a full year of driving on them.

My experience on these tires after 2 winters agrees exactly with the above posting. The best thing I can say is we have had a lot of snow around here (over 70 inches so far), we plow our roads and I have not gotten stuck.

This is the road in front of my house. I have 450 feet of driveway that I
plow to get to it.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:16 AM
I think the Yokohamas are a quieter than the stock Dunlops on my GE and I seem to be getting better mileage, maybe 1 mpg better- but of course none of this was by measurement and my driving habits could've changed since I got the tires a couple of months ago (but I don't think so and haven't had any long highway trips to raise the avg mpg).

I'm happy with them, and I didn't like the Dunops. In fact I didn't wait for the Dunlops to wear out- I figured that I will have sold the car before the new tires are worn out, so why wait to make the change?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Trying to source the best 'drive out the door' price on a set of 4 Yokohama AVID Ascend tires. Looked at Tire Rack and Discount Tire. Prices range from $525 for Tire Rack (shipping to a local installer) to $615 for Discount Tire.

I'm including mounting, balancing, TPMS service, disposal fee, and road hazard warranty. This is a base 2012 Fit.

Any other suggestions for a reliable an cheap source for Yokohama AVID Ascend tires?
Just received an e-mail from Tire Rack saying they're giving $60 rebates on the Yokohamas...

Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Just received an e-mail from Tire Rack saying they're giving $60 rebates on the Yokohamas...
Excellent. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2014, 06:18 AM
5 Year Member
Excellent. Thanks!
Glad I could help. Btw, I drove from Philly back to NY on Sunday in a downpour. Some cars had spun out and were stuck in the mud in the median. But the Ascends cut through the pooling water without problem. I was able to maintain 70 mph confidently, sometimes a bit more.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Thanks. I've been watching for a rebate on these also. Rebate is not only for Tire Rack but all authorized retailers. Ordered today from DiscountTireDirect.com. Still ~6 months away from needing to install them but now I'll have them on hand when needed.They bettered Tire Rack's price of $92 + $14 shipping and I got a set of 4 shipped with sales tax included for $399. I wanted to order from Discount instead of Tire Rack anyway as expecting to get some pro-rated credit on the 75,000 warranty later.

_

Old 04-12-2014, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Went with Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

As much as I like the Yokohamas, I went a set of Bridgestone Ecopia 422. My complete out the door price was under $393.00 from a local Tires Plus store and I'll qualify for a $70 Visa rebate card.

Sad I only got 37k out of the OEM Dunlops and they were worn well into the wear bars.

Last edited by marklj; 04-15-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Just got the Yokohama Avid Ascend on my 2010 Sport. Already I notice they are much quieter than the OEM Dunlops.
Yokohama is offering a $60 rebate on these through the end of April. I am in Colorado and we get some snow so I appreciate Eugen.Atget and n9cv reviews of these tires in snow.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to dredge up this thread, but for those still considering the Yokohama Avid Ascends, I just received an email from Tire Rack announcing a $60 rebate on Yokohama tires.

I'm still loving mine after 1.5 years and 22k miles. Great in rain, surprisingly good in snow, a bit quieter than the stock Bridgestones, and a slight but noticeable improvement in fuel economy. They're also wearing extremely well.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to dredge up this thread, but for those still considering the Yokohama Avid Ascends, I just received an email from Tire Rack announcing a $60 rebate on Yokohama tires.

I'm still loving mine after 1.5 years and 22k miles. Great in rain, surprisingly good in snow, a bit quieter than the stock Bridgestones, and a slight but noticeable improvement in fuel economy. They're also wearing extremely well.
I've got about 35 k so far on mine and they appear to be about half worn. I did not actually measure the tread depth. I got less than 30k on the original Dunlops.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
We have the 402s' on the base '11 FIT with the 5 speed auto . Got those for under $60 each through G.M. tire offer. They're wearing very well . I think they've been on for about 3 years . Use BLIZZAK for winters . The 402's usually go on in mid April and off by end of November .

Quick Reply: Best price on Yokohama AVID Ascend Tires?