3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

K&n

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
K&n

Anybody have the K&N part number for the 2015 FIT air filter?

Old 10-27-2014, 03:18 PM
took a quick measurement it's 7.75" X 5.5" X 1.5"
i don't believe K&N have test fitted on the 2015 model yet

previous model filter seems to be a bit smaller so probably have to wait until they make a new one

Last edited by kenji815; 10-27-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
What took you so long? lol Thanks Mr 815. You can have the rest of the day off.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:30 AM
K&n and other oil on filtrers really suck... Dust gets through and or send oily residue on airflow sensors.

Aww but they sound better and improve airflow by a few percent, however this is at the expense of longterm engine health.
Paper filters catch all the microns of dust.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Former Vendor
kenji815 is right, looks like K&N hasn't released anything for 2015 model yet. But you can go with Borla or Flowmaster, they have wide range of parts available.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Colonel Panik
Anybody have the K&N part number for the 2015 FIT air filter?
Couldn't find anything from K&N yet.

Mugen sells a filter though. --> Mugen GK5 Air Filter

Spoon has an air filter for the stock airbox --> Spoon Air Filter

I went ghetto and installed an HKS panel air filter by cutting it up and installing it in the stock airbox. Great Intake Thread

Just some options! Whether they are a perfect fit, I can't tell you. I made the HKS work but am not using it.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:06 AM
K&N has the GK spec filter listed on their site now. Part #33-5027

Found it doing the year, make, model search.

33-5027 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

Old 09-22-2015, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
So has anyone installed this and can report on mileage gains/loss? Don't really care about performance as let's be honest, this is a Honda Fit with a 1.5L engine...

Not really I'm sold on a K&N. It costs more than the stock filter. Apparently you only have to clean and re-oil after 50k miles. Not sure what this is saving you as you still have to buy a recharge kit for cleaning/oiling and then have to take the time to clean, dry and then re-oil. If I just buy a paper filter, it's cheaper and changing it out is a minute job and a 30 minute beer reward. Also have heard it can ruin MAF sensors. So, sell me why I should buy a K&N drop in air filter?

Old 09-24-2015, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
No one? Guess I'll stick to a regular filter...

Old 09-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
No one? Guess I'll stick to a regular filter...
Yea it sounds like you'd be happier with the OEM filter.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
So has anyone installed this and can report on mileage gains/loss? Don't really care about performance as let's be honest, this is a Honda Fit with a 1.5L engine...

Not really I'm sold on a K&N. It costs more than the stock filter. Apparently you only have to clean and re-oil after 50k miles. Not sure what this is saving you as you still have to buy a recharge kit for cleaning/oiling and then have to take the time to clean, dry and then re-oil. If I just buy a paper filter, it's cheaper and changing it out is a minute job and a 30 minute beer reward. Also have heard it can ruin MAF sensors. So, sell me why I should buy a K&N drop in air filter?
These K&N drop in filters filter better when it is dirty. There are no gains (that I noticed). I have one in my C30 and it has over 100k miles on it. I only cleaned it once. I don't think it's worth the hassle so I stopped cleaning it. There is no MPG loss either. Also the K&N does not increase sound or not that I know of. It's a great replacement if you intend to never replace it if you catch my drift. The whole MAF issue is if you over oil the filter. Just pull your MAF and clean it, if that happens.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:48 PM
Just a heads up - $10 rebate from K&N and Amazon giving $10 gift card with purchase of the unit so essentially $20 off through 11/30. And no, unlikely to have any measurable gains on a 1.5 NA engine. You need high CFM to make any difference. On my 3.5 V6 accord these yield about 2-3 hp, all at the top.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
I've always gotten a small bump in mileage with the K&N. FWIW ..
But for city driving,, I just use stock..

My racing and offroad rigs get K&N or Foam filters depending on availability..

Cheers

Last edited by dwtaylorpdx; 12-22-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:01 PM
got one in my Fit

I dropped one in my Fit while still waiting for a performance intake that makes sense. It might never come but my hopes are high. K&N are you listening ???

It's my 3rd or 4th K&N filter and if you go on their site, there is a right up on how it flows more air than the paper counterpart. I might not gain anything in power but I can keep the filter for the life of the car and I like that. The cleaning thing is not complicated at all but a lot of people don't understand how it works or don't want the hassle so they pass. With the proper maintenance kit, keeping the filter clean is a piece of cake. There are numerous youtube videos that show how to clean and re-oil the filter.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:58 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by JN2k108
These K&N drop in filters filter better when it is dirty.
I have heard this a lot over the years. I am not sure how it started but it is not true. A clean filter will flow AND filter better. Always.

I'm not a fan of these filters on a small displacement, naturally aspirated engine like the Fit. Not only do I believe there is zero power gains, but they are letting considerably more dirt through, fouling oil and accelerating engine wear. Here's an interesting test on these filters. I have no plans to add a cone filter intake or an oiled drop-in filter. I truly believe you're wasting your money installing them on the L15b engine:

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

Last edited by jhn; 12-27-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Lots of myth and legend around K&N and other filters..

Old 12-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by jhn
I have heard this a lot over the years. I am not sure how it started but it is not true. A clean filter will flow AND filter better. Always.

I agree.

I'm not a fan of these filters on a small displacement, naturally aspirated engine like the Fit. Not only do I believe there is zero power gains, but they are letting considerably more dirt through, fouling oil and accelerating engine wear. Here's an interesting test on these filters. I have no plans to add a cone filter intake or an oiled drop-in filter. I truly believe you're wasting your money installing them on the L15b engine:

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)
This test shows that there is a direct relationship between better flow and air restriction. There is nothing more to this report and no surprise. Less restriction equals better air flow but a propensity to let in more dirt. What else is new ? I don't think that K&N advertised their filters as being "cleaner" than stock paper filters. They do mention that flow is better and it is.

What do you think about AEM reports on power gains through cold air intakes on cars that are stock (with papers to prove it) ? Do you think that is all myth/lies also ?

Old 12-29-2015, 12:27 AM
jhn
Originally Posted by mikeDF
This test shows that there is a direct relationship between better flow and air restriction. There is nothing more to this report and no surprise. Less restriction equals better air flow but a propensity to let in more dirt. What else is new ? I don't think that K&N advertised their filters as being "cleaner" than stock paper filters. They do mention that flow is better and it is.

What do you think about AEM reports on power gains through cold air intakes on cars that are stock (with papers to prove it) ? Do you think that is all myth/lies also ?
It's not a surprise to me. I don't believe they increase power when used with a GK engine.

The minute gains in power (I doubt any in the Fit application) is not worth ingesting potentially 18X more dirt through the filter. Also, the only time in this test the oiled filter flowed better was when it was absolutely clean. It clogged up 3X faster and then the gains were gone, yet it still passed more dirt.

I stand by my belief these oiled filters are a waste of money on a NA small displacement motor like the Fit has.

As for AEM reports on CAI gains...

I don't know enough about the test to comment. The intake made for the GK is not in anyway a cold air intake since it draws from under the hood. That's misleading.

All I've seen about the dyno results is test temps that were in the 50's or so? If you have more info, post it up. I'd like to know what the engine temps were(heat soak)? hood open? Closed? dyno cylinder weight? Strap tension? Base test OE filter clean?

My spidey senses tell me the AEM intake gains (4hp) advertised for the GK are not "real world" gains.

Last edited by jhn; 12-29-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:59 AM
jhn
It's also worth noting that there is no easy way to tell when a filter has surpassed its claimed benefits due to contamination.

It appears based on the test that weight of the filter before/after contamination is the method used, so 100grams puts the oiled filter on the same performance plane as paper, all while retaining the oiled filter liability of passing more dirt. Keep in mind, the oiled filter took on 100grams 3x faster too.

So change an oiled filter every 50,000mi? I don't think that's a good idea.

If I were to do it, I'd get 2-3 of them and have one prepped at all times and probably swap them out every couple of weeks.

The performance gains (?) on a Honda Fit engine are not worth this trouble.