3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

J's Racing Ram Air Front Grille

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 PM
jhn
Yeah, that's disappointing. You'd almost be better off just opening up some vents in the factory grill or just pick up the sport grill. It has better ventilation.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
It's all good for testing purposes. It'll be interesting to see if I can get closer to ambient air temps while driving. So far, I can consistently get 4-5F above ambient. No lower! Even at highway speeds.

Also, going to see if my maf sensor g/s will get over 110 while going wide open throttle. Max I've ever been able to get is 108g/s. Currently it seems to stay around 104-105g/s.

Perhaps I'll do a test run after dinner.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
well u took it for the team. at least u verified that JDM grill does not fit USDM bumper.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Looks ok not as bad as I was thinking, but nice job going out on the limb, I would just invest the little extra for the rs front bumper, in spoons thread just the bumper support had to come off to fit so if you can live with out that you'll be set ha, but I'm almost wondering what if ya just take the stock front grill and utilise the dam piece from the js grill, and cut the same style air dam in the front of the stock one and see if that could match up

Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cleangd3
Looks ok not as bad as I was thinking, but nice job going out on the limb, I would just invest the little extra for the rs front bumper, in spoons thread just the bumper support had to come off to fit so if you can live with out that you'll be set ha, but I'm almost wondering what if ya just take the stock front grill and utilise the dam piece from the js grill, and cut the same style air dam in the front of the stock one and see if that could match up
Good idea! But it's a done deal. I only got it for function even though it did look cool 'before' installation. I'm already moving on. I'm not to hard to please. I have work to do. I'll return it back to stock if I ever sell the car.

I just got back from driving around a bit and doing some testing. Nothing is conclusive so nothing to report. I need to get to the track.

What I have found amazing about this engine is that no matter how much air I put through the maf sensor, it keeps the air/fuel ratio at 12.0:1 or so. Only when I either bypass the maf sensor or go with a larger diameter does it go lean. It's almost as if it accounts and adds fuel for any extra air that may come through. Tonight, air/fuel ratios stayed right at 12.0:1 or thereabouts during full throttle. Always have!

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 04-03-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
It appears the GK follows along with the previous Fits and the fitment of JDM body pieces to non-JDM types. Similar looks, but quite different. Well the GE looked VERY different with that long snout.

Why not, just have it reshaped. It is fiberglass afterall. Some cut here and added material and resin there and some paint and you can get it to fit the Fit.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 03-29-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:10 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
time to take the stock grille and apply one of these.

DIY- Titek Air Duct - MY350Z.COM Forums

Old 03-30-2015, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
time to take the stock grille and apply one of these.

DIY- Titek Air Duct - MY350Z.COM Forums
That's pretty cool (Pun intended). Thanks for sharing that.

In the meantime, the GK'ers can simply remove the rain splash guard inside of the cold air inlet. Once that is removed, you can see clearly down to the bottom of the front of the radiator. Cool air gets up in there. I was just being greedy and wanted cool 'ram' air.

I did some testing last night but am not convinced of what I'm seeing. I'll do some runs at the same track I was at a week ago (Cecil County). I was only able to muster 15.5's@88mph. The trap speed is my focus, not the 1/4 mile time since that varies with how I'm flooring the CVT (Myxal Two-Steppn').

I need to get my exhaust back to the pre-J's Racing cat delete setup where I had smaller piping (I think) to be able to hit the 15.2's to 15.4's. I think the 2.5" B-pipe is hurting me some. Saying this just in case people are wondering why I'm not running my previous best times.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-30-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:32 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Damn dude.

You are the man for pioneering the grille fitment question tho. Sorry to read.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:33 PM
This might be a dumb question..but would driving in heavy rain on something like the interstate be of concern with the grill funneling air like that? I guess it concerns me because I feel like honda may have it drawing from behind the stock grill for a reason. I would hate to ram a lot of water up in the intake system. Props on your mods so far though!

Old 12-11-2015, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by D33DsY
This might be a dumb question..but would driving in heavy rain on something like the interstate be of concern with the grill funneling air like that? I guess it concerns me because I feel like honda may have it drawing from behind the stock grill for a reason. I would hate to ram a lot of water up in the intake system. Props on your mods so far though!
Nope! It's not a concern at all.

Yes, I'm sure Honda had it funneling like that for a reason and they even included that rain guard in between it all. I drive it through downpours, uppours and everything in between. Even took it through a car wash today (as I always do). No issues!

It doesn't fit properly though so I couldn't recommend it to anyone. I'm just crazy though. And thanks!

Old 01-02-2016, 12:40 AM
With 3D printing technology coming on-line, perhaps you can make what you want out of card board and then get it printed in the plastic you want. Not sure what the proper procedure is, never done it but considered it once. Just an idea.

3D Systems Quickparts Solutions

Old 01-02-2016, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yovtecjustkickedin
With 3D printing technology coming on-line, perhaps you can make what you want out of card board and then get it printed in the plastic you want. Not sure what the proper procedure is, never done it but considered it once. Just an idea.

3D Systems Quickparts Solutions
Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 05-23-2017, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Don't run out and buy these yet. Looks like there may be some fitment issues (As you should expect). The insides of the grilles are not the same. The Japan one doesn't have the same clippings (or any clippings) to attach to the bumper. I only had enough time to remove the front bumper (using pointers from the video link I posted above) and taking a picture or two before leaving my house to take care of business.

Here is a picture of the back of the J's Racing vs stock grille.

The J's racing grille has 2 points to attach the top portion, one on the left side and another on the right side for a total of four points to connect.

The stock grill has 11 on the bottom to connect and 3 on the top. I may have to ghetto rig this to make it work. I'll look more into it tomorrow after work. I'm beat!

**Update** Couldn't sleep yet. Needed to know if I could get it fitted on. Some preliminary spy photos.
Installed the ram air piece

Placed hose to PRM air filter in place to see how it'd suck up the air.

Then put the J's racing grille on that did not seem like it would fit at all.

Hrrmm...not perfect but I'll take it. Need to put the bumper on tomorrow and see how all of this is gonna come together. NOW I'm beat!
arhhhh no pics!!

Old 04-30-2018, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TougeMonster_GK5
arhhhh no pics!!
+1

so much good knowledge.... so little pics

Old 05-15-2018, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
I had pics up! It looked horrible (Was tolerable for me though but it was less than perfect and noticable). I wouldn't recommend it.

Would I do it again...hell yeah. It worked great for what I was trying to do but I'm nuts. It was perfect even. Sorry!