3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

SprintBooster - CVT

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
SprintBooster - CVT

**NOT RECOMMENDED**
See Post #11

**Updated 3-12-15**
Ordered a unit to test on the Honda Fit CVT LX on 3-10-15
Received on 3-12-15! It is awesome as I expected it to be. See Post #9

Sprintbooster was informed this works and will be updating their website to reflect it works for 2015 CVTs (I don't know about manuals) based on my testing.

SprintBooster

I have one of these for my RAV4 and it makes the throttle response and driving soooo much more fun. I want to get one for the Fit. I've been reading all over the net that for the CVT in particular, THIS is one of the modifications to have. I admit the price is a little high but I really want one.

I installed the one on my RAV4 on the Fit (It just plugs into the accelerator pedal) but it threw some check engine codes. Right now, I trying to get SprintBooster to work with me to make one for Fit. In particular, the CVT.

I know I'm gonna like it. Just Google SprintBooster and CVT. You'll see what I mean.

Meh....some people are just lazy. I'll post some quotes below from others that used their device on a CVT transmission.

Altima CVT + SprintBooster
Drive test:
GREEN LIGHT:Wow...the throttle performs in a snapier fashion. The engine is more responsiveness when I apply the throttle pedal. The RPMs up very quickly. With the CVT tranny, seems the acceleration never will end. This performance is more notorious above 40-50 Km/hr. From a stop light, seemed to me that the engine performance acceleration is the same with the SB turned off. The accelerator pedal requires less travel force to apply and respond.
RED LIGHT: I did not notice a big differences. I need to test this setting riding on a highway, passing cars or/and climbing a road upslope,then select the Ds tranny setting to test the CVT performance.

I want to clarify: the Sprint Booster module is made to get a snapier acceleration at will (2 settings), without modify the ECU parameters and, of course, no HPs gains.

Parcial conclusion: I'm very pleased with this electronic device, the Altima is avid to accelerate faster than ever.

Project Lancer CVT
No, the device pretty much helps your car launch faster off the line until the ECU kicks in and shifts tables. It doesn't hold. But, the experience beyond that is one that I can't explain. The car feels a lot smoother than it did before, you'd have to try it to experience it for yourself. To me it was worth every penny.

**Hint, Hint mike410b** --> Flooring the car vs having the SB install is virtually 2 different things. Flooring the car doesn't actually give you a smoother ride nor does it launch you off the line any faster due to the CVT's slow throttle response.

Audi CVT
I received and installed a Sprint Booster today. Easy install; the space above the accelerator pedal is a little cramped but everything disconnected and reconnected easily. In “drive” mode the SB noticeably improved the response; it didn’t totally alleviate the lag but I don’t use “drive” very much. “Sport” mode was a kick with the SB, fun but I don’t use “sport” that much either. I use manual mode most of the time and my car responded exactly how I hoped it would; the test drive was a rush!

Once upon a time I owned a Porsche and when I stepped on the gas, or turned the wheel, it responded without hesitation. So much so that I almost had to be careful of what I was thinking; the car was that sensitive! For me, it’s all about the “feel” and pressing harder on the accelerator doesn’t provide the same sensation. The effect from the SB wasn’t questionable, it was dramatic. The SB put the icing on stage II (APR ) and I can’t wait to get back into my car tomorrow.
Jeep Patriot CVT
It gets rid of the Drive-By-Wire throttle lag. The lag is bad with the CVT and the Sprint Booster eliminates the throttle lag which makes the CVT a bit snappy as compared to not having the Sprint Booster. Yes it is expensive, but to me it was worth it. Some people won't buy it but some might. I'm just saying that it does work so those of you that don't believe it, call the manufacturer and argue with them. I don't what to hash it out with people that are not going to buy it. THE SPRINT BOOSTER DOES WORK!!!!

Non-CVT
Crossfire
Gets rid of all throttle lag - much MUCH faster throttle response - makes the car feel like it has at 10-15% more power (though, of course, that is really unchanged) due to the quickened throttle-engine response. I believe that this is much the same feeling that one would get with a "chip" flash. It chirps tires in 1st and 2nd without trying to do so and the backend squirms as the power is "put down" faster... Impressive for a plug-and-drive device.
Backed out of the garage & driveway, shifted to first and it was like being shot out of a cannon!!! 2nd gear was the same!!! Got to the stop sign, pulled out on the highway...and I almost immediately turned around to go back and uninstall it, as it was nearly undriveable. People joke about the car looking like a dog squatting...well if you want to make it squat, and I mean RIGHT NOW, ON DEMAND...then this is the thing that will make it do it. Anyway, I decided to take a little drive through town and find as many stop signs/lights as I could. After about 5 minutes of learning how to re-drive my car, it started to feel pretty good as I learned to control it. THE ONLY WAY I CAN DESCRIBE IT IS...ALL OF THE HORSEPOWER AND ALL OF THE TORQUE...IS THERE FROM IDLE TO 4,000 RPM. After that, there is no difference than before. You definitely have to learn how to drive this thing all over again. The lightest touch on the accelerator will launch you immediately...there is no delay. Cruising on the highway, and in the higher gears, you will notice no difference at all. Shifting is easier and much smoother...with no hesitation in acceleration/deceleration.
The SB makes a BIG difference - well worth the money. I cannot imagine any other inexpensive mod making such a profound difference in the car. You notice the difference the first time you push on the accelerator and before you even get out of the driveway. Power hits right away and the car just wants to GO. Plants your butt in the seat and puts a smile on your face. When passing (auto tranny), the RPMs come up faster and the car downshifts sooner. I will definitely have to pay a little more attention to the speedometer.
I just got back from my first ride after installing my sprint booster - First off my kick-down works fine. I gotta tell you I don't know what makes that thing tick but it's kick-***. Before I installed this I use to feel as if I had a four banger. I know just reset the computer but after a few hundred miles it was back to the same old slow take-off. After installing this, it feels like a V-8 at low speeds and take-off. This is the best $280.00 I've spent on my car. I'll write back after a few hundred miles to let you know if it gets sluggish. I'm thinking it won't because I did not reset the computer after the install.
Mazda6
I decided to give the sprint booster a try. I know LBV personaly and trust his judgement and I know this guys know his shit..so I figured what the heck I'll try it.
I drove over to JRP today and they were totaly cool about the sprint booster. When I asked "does this thing really work"? They all just laughed and said..JUST try it. They installed it in my car and told me to go for a 5 min drive..No deposit lol just go well see u on 5 min.

I went out and made a left onto this long street..1st gear nail it and BAM!!! holy tourqe!!! I honestly COULD not believe it so I nailed it again and into 2cnd and the car just felt ALIVE!! Most of u know I have a fast speed 6 300 whp 330 t/q . NONE of my mods (maybe the downpipe ) gave me this initial reaction that I got from this thing..
I walked in they looked at my face and all yelled out "TOLD U SO!!" I didnt even bother asking them to take it out they left it in and I just paid.

Honestly I went in closed minded about this product after reading all the negetaive posts in the original thread but I promise u this thing works..TRUST me ( I don't get anything for this I just want to share a good product for fellow speed 6 owners). I want to thank LBV for this one personaly!
BTW- Jrp told me that I have 30 days MONEY back gauranteed!! If I decide I don't want it..they offered to take it out and go for a back to back test drive but I said no way..
I highly recomend this to everyone here. On another note I will be completly honest with u and tell u that on the highway and or higher gears you DON'T feel it nearly as much as u do in 1st and 2cnd gear but you do still feel it. It makes the car a much better and easier car to drive as a daily driver in the real world..imho
Pontiac Solstice and RX8 Story

Corvette
I won't review the install there are other posts with that info. I will say its easy and the hardest part is laying on the floorboard.
I noticed an immediate difference in the throttle response. I would say this has the most effect in the zero to 1/2 throttle position. It makes the car feel more responsive, a lot more responsive! I run it on its highest(red) setting. I tried green and didn't like it as much. there are three settings off, green and red as denoted by a light on the little wired switch. It feels as far as throttle response goes at low speeds like it lost 500 pounds off the car weigh. For me it makes starting from a stop much easier as I don't bog the car as I let out the clutch. I mention this benefit because I've never read it in a review of this before and to me it is very pronounced. Between taking the clutch assist spring off and this mod I feel like my clutch and throttle response is much more linear and easier to modulate. It makes my launches that much smoother.
I know this does not make my car have any more horsepower so it won't make it faster. I find however that my throttle application between shift is faster and as such I feel I accelerate faster. I DO NOT have empirical data to support that. I've never run my car at the track so I don't have 1/4 times to back it up. If I ever get to a track I will test it both on and off.
The other thing I notice is when cruising on the highway say in 4th or 5th gear turning 2000 rpms or so if I give it some gast it responds better and I don't need to downshift as much to get it to respond. I think this is because it only seems to effect the first half of throttle application and really effect the first 1/3 or so of throttle travel and since the throttle is barely open at 2000 rpms or so it "jumps" better with the Booster installed. I know "jump" is a relative term at 2000 rpms and to really make it jump slamming it down a gear or two is a real "jump"
I am perfectly happy with the $300 bucks I spent on it and will not exercise my 14 day money back guarantee. I got it from Neal at Corvette Mods and he told me they have never had any returned. Please keep your questions and comments civil, especially if you have never driven a car with one installed.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 04-17-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
**Updated 3-10-15**

Called Sprintbooster and talked to 'Norman'. I was trying to setup a date/time for someone to test the 2015 Honda Fit with them. Turns out they have Sprintbooster for the 2015 Honda Fit CVT. Only two where available and they haven't updated their website. Sooooooo........

I ordered the unit! Will update with more info on how the car drives with it. I really liked what I've read online about other CVTs that use Sprintbooster. I know I love it on my RAV4. This will be a different and new experience I'm looking forward too.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Why don't you just press the pedal further?

Old 03-10-2015, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Why don't you just press the pedal further?
Mike I know you know better. I won't take the bait. I've heard this over the years. We both know how the argument goes.

As for the other folks, please take the time to see this video to get a better idea on what the SprintBooster does. ENJOY!

How to Install a MINI Cooper Sprint Booster CVT Automatic Transmission

If you are in a hurry, just start the video at 3:30.

And again, don't take my word for it. GOOGLE Sprintbooster and CVT to see what others have to say about their experience with it while using a CVT on several other car makes/models. Hell, even read reviews of the Sprintbooster on any vehicle make/model on any transmission.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-12-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
No, I really don't understand these.

If you want 15% throttle at 5%, why not just press the pedal 15% of the way?

I mean, this thing is one way to waste gas :thumbup:

Old 03-10-2015, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
No, I really don't understand these.

If you want 15% throttle at 5%, why not just press the pedal 15% of the way?

I mean, this thing is one way to waste gas :thumbup:
Mike, you see how this manual transmission Honda Fit reaches a 15.2 1/4 mile running 8psi of turbo boost?

I'm going to teach you the art of efficiency and how it's done on a fuel efficient, economy driven, non-performance CVT with only an intake and exhaust. **Oops...done already**

THEN I'm going to show you how to hit high 14's with a device that don't even give you extra hp/tq. Just to rub it in. And I'll do it pushing on the gas pedal with less effort. Keep rowing them gears my friend.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-10-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Mike, you see how this manual transmission Honda Fit reaches a 15.2 1/4 mile running 8psi of turbo boost?
Honda Fit Turbo 1/4 Mile 15.2 - YouTube

I'm going to teach you the art of efficiency and how it's done on a fuel efficient, economy driven CVT with only an intake and exhaust. **Oops...done already**

THEN I'm going to show you how to hit high 14's with a device that don't even give you extra hp/tq. Just to rub it in. Keep rowing them gears my friend.
You realize CVT are inherently less efficient than a classic manual transmission, right?

You also realize the GK has more power than the GD, correct? And that that poorly driven GD probably had similar power numbers to a GK?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
You realize CVT are inherently less efficient than a classic manual transmission, right?

You also realize the GK has more power than the GD, correct? And that that poorly driven GD probably had similar power numbers to a GK?
You'd probably make good convo over a barbecue! I could talk shi* with you for hours over a cold beer (if I drank it). I'm just passing time with my responses.

**So manual peeps don't take them seriously***

I'll update though with results though. If it works ok, I'm sure I'll love it.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
**3-12-15**

I ordered the unit on 3/10/15 at night.
It was shipped on 3/11/15.
Arrived at my door 3/12/15.
**Excellent**

Install took less than a minute. Unplug wire from accelerator pedal. Plug wire into Sprintbooster. Plug Sprintbooster into accelerator plug. Plug wire connection to accelerator pedal that operates the SprintBooster button settings.

Performs just as I expected.

I'm not going to fall into the trap of trying to explain how this works. If you want to know, research on the net. I've provided a tiny bit of links. Just type Sprintbooster and look up any vehicle you want. Read up on how it works and people's experience with it.

1) If you are within the Delaware Valley and want to test it out, I'll be happy to plug it into your accelerator pedal so 'we' can go for a test drive (You are NOT going to drive way with my baby). I won't even comment. You just drive and go by your own observations. That's it! Don't even ask me if it is worth the price.

If you do, I will say NO but this is the 2nd one I've purchased. Feel free to figure that one out. I've already emailed Sprintbooster back since I'm the guinea pig and told them they can update their website. I'll go out and drive now. L8Rs

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-23-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
It seems like people who use sprint booster likes it. But if you search the review on the web, you will see people who breaks down the technology and explain what is behind the scenes.

I studied automotive in college and I understand that all ECU reading are base on voltage from the sensor. If they are just modifying the sensor signals and trick the ECU thinking you are press the pedal harder, to me that is nothing different then press the pedal harder yourself.

With the sprint booster, instead of pedal to the metal, you just pedal to the middle. You can take a look at the review at the following pages if you have time.

Sprint Booster ? Is It Worth It? | outbackjoe

http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/spr...intBooster.pdf

I guess what sprint booster did unlock is the driver's capability but not the engine potential. I doubt you will see any gain in a dyno tuning, but if it make the driver happy, then by all means go for it.

Just my 2 cents

Old 04-17-2015, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
**DO NOT PURCHASE**

On 4/12/15, while heading to a race track, this device disabled my car. While hitting the accelerator pedal, I could not move. The engine revved freely but the car did not go forward (CVT Transmission) I thought it was my transmission. I coasted to a stop. After checking my engine codes, I had a code (That I didn't write down, my apologies) that referenced an error with my gas pedal voltage. I removed this device and was able to drive again.

I do not recommend this until further notice.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 04-17-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Wow, glad you were alright.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
bump from the dead

were we able to troubleshoot what caused the issue? and was there a resolution? (short of, removing the device

Old 08-07-2018, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
bump from the dead

were we able to troubleshoot what caused the issue? and was there a resolution? (short of, removing the device
Through my conversation with them, they simply told me that their other customers didn't have the same issue as I did. They asked for the part number and it matched all the ones they stated they were selling to other folks that had no issue. That's where we left off. I never re-installed it.

Also, with it installed, I didn't feel any difference with throttle response, no matter what setting I chose. This device on my RAV4 makes a BIG difference in feel. LOVE IT! I didn't notice a difference on my Fit. Perhaps my piece was defective. I couldn't tell you.