3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

CVT Wide Open Throttle RPM Flash Stall

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
CVT Wide Open Throttle RPM Flash Stall

Simple question but may not be a simple answer.

When you floor the gas pedal in a CVT Fit, what dictates where the rpm needle jumps up to (Like the flash stall of a torque converter)? In other words, when I floor the Fit, the rpm needle jumps up to around 2200-2300rpm before it starts its normal climb to 6500rpm. What tells the rpm needle to stop at 2200rpm?

If possible, when I go WOT, I want the rpm needle to jump to an rpm that I'd prefer (Ex: 6200rpm). I'm not looking for answers as to the pros and cons of doing this. I just want to understand what makes the rpm needle stop where it does immediately after flooring it and how I may be able to change it to stop at a higher rpm. Thanks!

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 09-14-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
The CVT has a range of gear ratios and is fed by a torque converter. With your foot to the floor at zero forward car speed, the rpm can only jump to about the torque converter's stall speed, even with the CVT ratio at it's lowest (highest numerically). As the car speed increases, so will the rpm until it reaches 6,500 rpm (or so), at which point the gear ratio will begin to decrease numerically, to provide increasingly higher road speed at 6,500 rpm. From launch to 6,500 (or so), it's no different than any other automatic car.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
The CVT has a range of gear ratios and is fed by a torque converter. With your foot to the floor at zero forward car speed, the rpm can only jump to about the torque converter's stall speed, even with the CVT ratio at it's lowest (highest numerically). As the car speed increases, so will the rpm until it reaches 6,500 rpm (or so), at which point the gear ratio will begin to decrease numerically, to provide increasingly higher road speed at 6,500 rpm. From launch to 6,500 (or so), it's no different than any other automatic car.
BINGO! So, I should be able to modify the stock torque converter's stall speed to be higher and have the same pro's/con's as a normal automatic transmission's torque coverter with a higher stall speed? If yes, this is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Thanks so far for responding.

BTW: I just got off the phone with ProTorque to discuss this option but unfortunately they have yet to modify a torque converter that is utilized with a CVT transmission from any make (Ex: Nissan, Subaru, ETC) of vehicle. So the owner and I will discuss more if in fact the Honda has a modifiable torque converter flash stall speed.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 09-14-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Something I have noticed on other Honda CVTs (new version) is when you are rolling along at a reasonable city speed (30-40),,,then you floor the gas pedal the RPM may go to, say 4500 and then slowly climb.

But if you rapidly beat on the gas pedal ----Floor it, then lift up a half inch then floor it again and repeat that a few times in rapid succession--- the RPM will go much closer to redline right away.

Experiment with that and see what happens.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
Something I have noticed on other Honda CVTs (new version) is when you are rolling along at a reasonable city speed (30-40),,,then you floor the gas pedal the RPM may go to, say 4500 and then slowly climb.

But if you rapidly beat on the gas pedal ----Floor it, then lift up a half inch then floor it again and repeat that a few times in rapid succession--- the RPM will go much closer to redline right away.

Hrrmm... I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:49 PM

Ive done that but my 0-60 was actually a lil faster with just flooring it vs double tapping it.

9.2 vs 9.06 seconds

Old 12-06-2015, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
The delay in throttle input is because the car is drive by wire (electronic throttle) vs throttle by wire (traditional cable driven throttle). Manufacturers use it to increase mpg by adjusting drivers driving habits for them. if you want your throttle to go instantaneously to 100% throttle input, look into various aftermarket control units that modify throttle input. A few come to mind:

-Sprint booster
-Apexi SMART accel controller
-Pedalbox

This does not give you more power or anything. But depending on the 'stage' or mode you are on, it varies your throttle input. For example, if you set it to race or aggressive mode, any throttle input (touch the pedal gently) and your throttle input registers are 100% right away. Dangerous to use in traffic and not recommended.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member

I should've added a /sarcasm note above when I responded the way I did. My apologies. I had documented the double tap feature back in August 2014 and called it the Myxal Two-Step. I posted the info and video in a thread called --> How to gain quicker acceleration CVT.

Originally Posted by TofuShop
The delay in throttle input is because the car is drive by wire (electronic throttle) vs throttle by wire (traditional cable driven throttle). Manufacturers use it to increase mpg by adjusting drivers driving habits for them. if you want your throttle to go instantaneously to 100% throttle input, look into various aftermarket control units that modify throttle input. A few come to mind:

-Sprint booster
-Apexi SMART accel controller
-Pedalbox

This does not give you more power or anything. But depending on the 'stage' or mode you are on, it varies your throttle input. For example, if you set it to race or aggressive mode, any throttle input (touch the pedal gently) and your throttle input registers are 100% right away. Dangerous to use in traffic and not recommended.
I have a Sprintbooster on my RAV4 and it is awesome. I did testing for Sprintbooster on the Fit. I posted about it in this thread --> SprintBooster CVT It actually left me on the side the road, the same day I was heading to a Honda Day event (I won't forget it). I disconnected it and the car ran fine again.

Currently awaiting full Ktuner support to do what the SprintBooster does. I never did get back with the SprintBooster people to iron this issue out. Someone else will have to take the lead on it. They probably think the testing was a success, hence why they are now advertising that they support it --> Sprintbooster - 2015 Honda Fit I just sent Sprintbooster an email to let them know what happened. Oops!

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 12-07-2015 at 02:23 AM.