3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Visual garage shark fin antenna

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by luismycorreo
I installed that antenna in my Fit Sport 2013 and in my wife's car Mitsubishi RVR 2014 and we are very happy, for the RVR we got a better reception than the OEM antenna, no problems with the car wash (no contact car cash), for the Fit keep it the same level of reception.

Luis

Honda Fit Sport 2013 - Blue
Wow Luis, loved your pictures! I had the 2008 Fit in Milano Red, but seeing your Blue makes me appreciate that color. My Daughter chose the passion Berry pearl for her 2015 Fit, which is pretty, but a bit "reflective" for me. We live on a farm with a gravel entrance road, and the dust is horrendous on the paint finish. It is almost like having a Black car. Looks great when just washed, but any dirt stands out.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nullxposur
What's the problem with brush car washes? Is it really prone to break? I've taken it twice and taken my previous car with a similar antenna through many brush car washes without any problems.
As nullxposur says, I think the shark antenna will support without issues a car wash with brushes, if you follow the instructions to clean the contact surface of the car before to paste the antenna, I'm pretty sure it will stay close fitting and does not loosen for nothing.

Luis

Old 08-28-2014, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
What's the problem with brush car washes? Is it really prone to break? I've taken it twice and taken my previous car with a similar antenna through many brush car washes without any problems.
I'm not sure about the antenna breaking so much (even though the owners manual suggests removing it prior to entering the car wash), as I am concerned with swirl marks on certain paint finishes from the rolling brushes. Some paint finishes show more than others. My wives silver Mazda CX-5, won't show swirl marks like my daughters "Passion Berry Pearl", will. It is my understanding a black car is the worst for this type "injury" to the paint finish. I prefer the "touch less" car washes (water jets only), or doing it myself at home.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Wow Luis, loved your pictures! I had the 2008 Fit in Milano Red, but seeing your Blue makes me appreciate that color. My Daughter chose the passion Berry pearl for her 2015 Fit, which is pretty, but a bit "reflective" for me. We live on a farm with a gravel entrance road, and the dust is horrendous on the paint finish. It is almost like having a Black car. Looks great when just washed, but any dirt stands out.
Thanks for your comments, if you live in a farm, try to use something to avoid the rust, use as much wax as you can keep a protective film between the paint and the dust or mud, try to wash the car as much as you can if you want to keep a nice look for years.

Luis

Last edited by luismycorreo; 08-28-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Oh definitely! I used to detail cars and would never get a black, blue, or red car just because swirls show up really fast.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Oh definitely! I used to detail cars and would never get a black, blue, or red car just because swirls show up really fast.
I read that silver is the most popular color right now, overall. I think I know why, as our silver Mazda CX-5 never looks dirty! We just lucked into that color, due to it being on sale. We were not smart enough to do it on purpose.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
The condo car wash parking space - complete with soaker hose - is 7 spaces away from my space, so I have all my supplies handy to do it right at home. I do it monthly, but have yet to wax the car. Since it's still so new, I'm not sure when I should wax it. Any advice?

Old 08-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by exl500
The condo car wash parking space - complete with soaker hose - is 7 spaces away from my space, so I have all my supplies handy to do it right at home. I do it monthly, but have yet to wax the car. Since it's still so new, I'm not sure when I should wax it. Any advice?
They normally put a paint sealant on new cars to protect them against bird poop and the like. You're probably good for a bit. Probably should look into "claying" it if you feel sand and other particles stuck on the paint.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Just ordered mine

Just ordered my shark fin antenna still waiting for a couple more packages to come in mail for some of my mods.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
What is important is not so much what you wax the car with, but what you wash it with. Don't use household dish detergent. Use something designed for washing a car like Meguiar's Car Wash (right on the label it says "Shampoo & Conditioner, that Washes and conditions paint in one step. Rich, luxurious suds"). Who could argue with that!

I used Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax (pure synthetic polymer), but only because I had never used it before and it looked cool (but very expensive). I normally use "Mothers paste wax", but hate it if any gets on the black trim, as it is hard to get off. The Meguiar's I mentioned does not leave any white trace on the black trim, so I like it better.

Having said that, everyone on this forum will have a personal preference for waxing their car.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, I use Meguiar's to wash the car and I have a great wash mitt that I use. I have good microfiber cloths for drying. I'll get the Meguiar's wax in a few months time.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, I use Meguiar's to wash the car and I have a great wash mitt that I use. I have good microfiber cloths for drying. I'll get the Meguiar's wax in a few months time.
I also tried something new for drying our cars......

Amazon.com: California Car Duster 20083 Red Jelly Blade: Automotive Amazon.com: California Car Duster 20083 Red Jelly Blade: Automotive

I still need microfiber cloths, but not as many. This thing gets the bulk of water off the car quickly, before it has a chance to dry and spot. I had never used one before, but love it! I like this one the best because it does "not" have a solid "spine", as some others do. I find it much easier to use.

You might also want to consider a "California Car duster" for daily touch-up. I have used these for years to dust our dash (small version that fits in glove box), and an original large version to dust off the outside of the car.

I also have a really nice wash kit, that feels like fur. I just make sure I rinse it out well and there is no dirt particles in it that might scratch the surface of the paint.

It feels like I spent as much on washing/waxing supplies as I did on the car sometimes!

Old 08-29-2014, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
I just ordered one for my Silver. My son is waiting a bit. It would be nice if it were half the price. I love the look. Much better than that stick.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, that's it, California Car Duster after every drive.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Jaws 4- Great Blue Shark

Got my shark fin antenna from Visual Garage a few days ago. It took less than two weeks from the day I ordered it. Installed it today. The color is a perfect match and radio seems to have the same reception as with the oem antenna. It comes with good installation instructions. So easy, even I could do this mod
Name:  shark1.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  shark2.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  116.6 KB

Name:  shark3.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  142.4 KB

Last edited by sooznd; 09-04-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
That looks great. Mine should be here in a little over a week.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=sooznd;1261365]Got my shark fin antenna from Visual Garage a few days ago. It took less than two weeks from the day I ordered it. Installed it today. The color is a perfect match and radio seems to have the same reception as with the oem antenna. It comes with good installation instructions. So easy, even I could do this mod

What kind of trailer hitch did you get? I'd like to put one on mine to pull a small flatbed for lumber and large, light things. I guess I'll have to wait for them to develop one for the 2015.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
I got mine from the local uhaul. I think it is the Draw-Tite brand -the same kind as you can buy from etrailer.com

I have not towed anything but have a hitch mount bike rack.

2010 Honda Fit Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

Last edited by sooznd; 09-04-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
I got mine from the local uhaul. I think it is the Draw-Tite brand -the same kind as you can buy from etrailer.com

I have not towed anything but have a hitch mount bike rack.

2010 Honda Fit Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com
U Haul is the biggest installer of hitches. I bought a hitch for my Nissan Cube, but never put it on. Now the Cube is gone, but I'm sure adapting it to the Fit would be out of the question. If I were a welder, it would be different.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Looks pretty slick, but they could have made installation so much easier by just embedding a couple of neodymium magnets in the plastic shell! I really don't like gluing things to my paint.

I hand-wash my cars so I think I'll pass on this one.

Quick Reply: Visual garage shark fin antenna