3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Roof Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
I'm curious as well seeing as how there is a Moon roof on mine.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Coopdy
I have an appt tomorrow for a custom install of a roof track system, but this is permanent so I don't know if this is what you're looking for. It is a clean looking system and I've seen it on other cars, so I'm optimistic. The track allows the podium feet to slide along anywhere within the track though I've never moved my other bars once set...
What brand is it? Do you have a pic or manufacturer's link? I understand the track system is permanent but is the rack itself removable?

What I need is a removable unit so I can still get good mpg's when it's not being used. It should have attach points that are flush or at least not too terribly ugly. Tracks that mount flush or very flat to the roof would be ideal. I don't like the clip-on style racks because those can jack up the paint and the weather stripping on the door.

This is my top priority mod. Winter is coming and I have to be able to haul my 8 foot toboggan and passengers!!!

Any help or tips would be most appreciated!!!

Old 09-25-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm going with a Thule system. Yes, the rack can be removed from the track supposedly very easily. Cut and paste is not currently working with my phone with the new iOS so I can't paste a link but if you Google Rack Attack naked roof Honda Fit you should get a visual. I'll post pics tomorrow after the install.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fat_man
What brand is it? Do you have a pic or manufacturer's link? I understand the track system is permanent but is the rack itself removable?

What I need is a removable unit so I can still get good mpg's when it's not being used. It should have attach points that are flush or at least not too terribly ugly. Tracks that mount flush or very flat to the roof would be ideal. I don't like the clip-on style racks because those can jack up the paint and the weather stripping on the door.

This is my top priority mod. Winter is coming and I have to be able to haul my 8 foot toboggan and passengers!!!

Any help or tips would be most appreciated!!!

I passed an older Fit today, and it had a rack with brackets wrapping from the roof into the door areas. Maybe they attach inside the door opening on each side, and tighten to the rack. That would hold them in place.

Edit: Thule makes this anchor kit.

Robot Check Robot Check

Last edited by SilverEX15; 09-25-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Honda Australia offers an OEM roof rack for the 2015 Fit. I have a buddy in Australia that purchased Australian spec Accord parts for my previous vehicle for me. If anyone is interested, I can see if I can get him to purchase several racks. maybe a group buy to reduce shipping?

Old 09-25-2014, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fox944
Honda Australia offers an OEM roof rack for the 2015 Fit. I have a buddy in Australia that purchased Australian spec Accord parts for my previous vehicle for me. If anyone is interested, I can see if I can get him to purchase several racks. maybe a group buy to reduce shipping?
I wonder if Honda Australia contracted with a rack maker and had "Honda" stamped on it.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I wonder if Honda Australia contracted with a rack maker and had "Honda" stamped on it.

They most likely have. Most manufacturers do this. My old Porsche had OEM accessories on it that were actually manufactured by Tech Art.

Like Honda's tent for the CR-V.

here is a link to the Jazz accessory page on their sight which shows the rack.
Official Honda Jazz Site

Old 09-25-2014, 07:02 PM
They most likely have. Most manufacturers do this. My old Porsche had OEM accessories on it that were actually manufactured by Tech Art.
The OEM crossbars (while not obvious and I really had to look around on the product for confirmation) for my MINI were made by Thule.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:28 PM
I'm going with a Thule system. Yes, the rack can be removed from the track supposedly very easily. Cut and paste is not currently working with my phone with the new iOS so I can't paste a link but if you Google Rack Attack naked roof Honda Fit you should get a visual. I'll post pics tomorrow after the install.
^^^
Cool!

I can't wait to your pics!!! I found a Thule track system that looks very good. It may be the same as the one you have and I think I'm gonna get it:

Rack Attack product page: Thule TP42 42 inch Top-Track with Flare-Nuts - Thule Permanent Base Racks

Rack Attack installation video: http://www.rackattack.com/player/rac...m-rack-install

Old 09-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Yep, that's the system. Are you installing it yourself? I'm still nervous about even the professionals drilling into the roof and they do a lot of these installs. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/imag...ies/ohnoes.gif

Here are some pics of it installed on older model Fits:
Honda Fit Roof Rack - Hitch, Bike, Ski, Snowboard, Canoe, Kayak, Cargo

I think it's the closest to a factory looking bar system I can find.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:35 PM
dsl
Yakima racks

I've been waiting for Yakima to come out with brackets for roof racks for the 2015 Fit -- they have them for previous year's models. I wrote to them today asking when that might happen and here's the reply:

"Unfortunately the 2015 Honda Fit is a 'No Fit'. The frames of the vehicle are too weak and our clips will end up damaging the roof, leading to roof rack ejections. Your best bet is to take the 2015 Fit into a custom installation shop that can customize a roof rack for you."

When I use RackAttack's fit tool, I get this:

"A search of our database did not find any base roof rack recommendations for a 2015 Honda Fit / Fit Sport."

I need racks for kayaks. They are not heavy, but do make for considerable wind resistance and torquing.

Custom installation sounds expensive. I'm discouraged. U-haul installed the hitch for the bike rack today without any problems, so at least that's taken care of.

Debbie

Old 09-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by dsl
I've been waiting for Yakima to come out with brackets for roof racks for the 2015 Fit -- they have them for previous year's models. I wrote to them today asking when that might happen and here's the reply:

"Unfortunately the 2015 Honda Fit is a 'No Fit'. The frames of the vehicle are too weak and our clips will end up damaging the roof, leading to roof rack ejections. Your best bet is to take the 2015 Fit into a custom installation shop that can customize a roof rack for you."

When I use RackAttack's fit tool, I get this:

"A search of our database did not find any base roof rack recommendations for a 2015 Honda Fit / Fit Sport."

I need racks for kayaks. They are not heavy, but do make for considerable wind resistance and torquing.

Custom installation sounds expensive. I'm discouraged. U-haul installed the hitch for the bike rack today without any problems, so at least that's taken care of.

Debbie

Sounds like mumbo jumbo fro
Yakima. The roof strength on the 2015 Fit is stronger than previous years thanks to the ace body structure. Manufacturers don't go backwards in regards to structural rigidity and steel strength.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member

Like Honda's tent for the CR-V.

here is a link to the Jazz accessory page on their sight which shows the rack.
Official Honda Jazz Site
I wonder if they have sport pedals for the manual transmissions

Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Check the link. They do!

Old 09-26-2014, 02:43 AM
Yep, that's the system. Are you installing it yourself? I'm still nervous about even the professionals drilling into the roof and they do a lot of these installs.

Yes I think I will install the track system myself. And yes the thought of it IS nerve racking.

I have one question though about locating the tracks. They will be inside the existing roof seams. The seams are not parallel to each other. They start wide apart and then get closer together. The Rack Attack guy on the phone said the tracks should be mounted parallel to each other. But, my instinct says that they will look better and be stronger if they run parallel to the seams. My instinct may be wrong... I dunno... It is probably easier to adjust the rack feet and cross bars if the distance between the tracks is always the same. But then again, will I really be moving those cross bars around much? Prolly not...

I will be interested to see how they do it on your car.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:38 AM
If the tracks are not parallel to each other, the towers will be canted away from each other when they're square with the track, and the holes/mounts for the crossbars possibly won't line up properly. It may not work if there isn't enough slop designed into the system to compensate. (I don't know precisely how the towers and track mount together and how squarely they are forced together...but that may be the concern with non-parallel tracks, not just ease of adjustment.)

Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by DrewE
If the tracks are not parallel to each other, the towers will be canted away from each other when they're square with the track, and the holes/mounts for the crossbars possibly won't line up properly. It may not work if there isn't enough slop designed into the system to compensate. (I don't know precisely how the towers and track mount together and how squarely they are forced together...but that may be the concern with non-parallel tracks, not just ease of adjustment.)

Yes... this sounds right. You're right... if the tracks are not parallel then the towers would be at an angle to each other and this could be a problem for the cross bars. Now I understand why they need to be parallel...

Thanks for enlightening me

Old 09-26-2014, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
I think if you get the Thule system, it will be right. They make the attaching kit for each model car - no drilling.

Here's a great video that explains the whole process.

Last edited by SilverEX15; 09-26-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:59 AM
dsl
Thule racks

And here's today's word from Thule, in answer to the question of when they'll have racks for the Fit:

"It could still take a couple of Months before the fit is completed and in stock."

I think I'll just be patient. It makes me nervous to think of drilling into the roof for channels. I keep my cars a long time and would worry about the potential for leaks and/or structural breakdown over time.

Debbie

Old 09-26-2014, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dsl
And here's today's word from Thule, in answer to the question of when they'll have racks for the Fit:

"It could still take a couple of Months before the fit is completed and in stock."

I think I'll just be patient. It makes me nervous to think of drilling into the roof for channels. I keep my cars a long time and would worry about the potential for leaks and/or structural breakdown over time.

Debbie
Smart. Never drill into any part of a car. When rustproofing kits were popular, the only place rust appeared was around the holes drilled to spray in the rustproofing. Unless the part is plastic, I don't drill.

I wouldn't want to have those racks mounted all the time, but they might come in handy once in a while.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack?