3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Projector headlight install

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Looking really good superfly. I notice u removed the anti glare whatever u call it piece where the blinkers are and u painted that area black too. No issues with glare using the VLEDs? And isn't it bright enough with the turn signals now that its not reflective ? And are u using the TRS morimoto ballasts/relay harness etc? I just read blkprl posting the Fit has a canbus system so curious what kit or may e ddm pnp you're using and if its affecting anything.

Last edited by noripwr; 09-29-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:30 PM
Bad ass how did you wire the switch back for DRL? Directly to battery?

Old 09-29-2014, 11:48 PM
nice!

so how much was the overall cost of this? i was thinking of doing this to my GK5...also...were did you buy them from?

Old 09-30-2014, 12:31 AM
You got me thinking about doing this with angel eyes as DRL. Gotta stop spending money !! Lol

Old 09-30-2014, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator
Looks awesome.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:13 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
hnmmmm

did you just paint the reflectors black?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, I removed the clear diffusers and painted the reflectors black. The Vled’s are so bright that they work fine without a reflector. I used semi-gloss paint which still gives a decent amount of reflection, not that reflection is needed. I still need to hook them up so that they dim 50% at night as they are actually too bright at night for someone in an opposing lane. The Xenon’s are TRS Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III DS2 with 4300k bulbs. The LED’s are V3 Triton. The V3 switchbacks plug directly into the factory turn signal harness. I don’t have them running as DRL yet. I need to hook the positive to an ignition source for that to happen. Just haven’t got to it yet.
The V3’s were $145 and the Xenon kit was about $320. I bought the V3’s directly from Vled and the Xenon’s directly from TRS.
5K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM | 1 PAIR - Switchback - Bulb System - V3 Triton
Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S)

Old 09-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Did you got Wheels on too??

Old 09-30-2014, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bbigmouthh
Did you got Wheels on too??
Yes. Momo Revenge 17x7 with Cooper RS3-A 205/45-17 tires.
Next up, tint, lowering springs and a new stereo system. Damn, I feel like a teenager again. Then again, I've never really stopped since I was a teenager. Oh, the money I could have saved.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Superfly
Yes, I removed the clear diffusers and painted the reflectors black. The Vled’s are so bright that they work fine without a reflector. I used semi-gloss paint which still gives a decent amount of reflection, not that reflection is needed. I still need to hook them up so that they dim 50% at night as they are actually too bright at night for someone in an opposing lane. The Xenon’s are TRS Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III DS2 with 4300k bulbs. The LED’s are V3 Triton. The V3 switchbacks plug directly into the factory turn signal harness. I don’t have them running as DRL yet. I need to hook the positive to an ignition source for that to happen. Just haven’t got to it yet.
The V3’s were $145 and the Xenon kit was about $320. I bought the V3’s directly from Vled and the Xenon’s directly from TRS.
5K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK V3 TRITON LED SYSTEM | 1 PAIR - Switchback - Bulb System - V3 Triton

Great idea with removing the diffusers. It gives it a really clean look, but I was afraid that it would be too bright at night for oncoming drivers which seems true in your case.

I plan to do the retro on mine this Friday since its my only day off, and hopefully I get the garage and kitchen to myself. I originally wanted to do square LEDs on the panasquare shrouds I got, or an LED switchback strip on the "check mark" portion of the Fit's headlights. But the idea of taking things apart if the LEDs fail a few months down wasn't something id like since my apartment doesn't have an oven or garage, and I only come home once in a blue moon. So I'm with you with the same idea of using switchbacks and disabling the HID "DRL" by pulling the fuse. I intend to switch the parking lights on if I need "DRL".

How's the cutoff so far and do you have any plans on upgrading the bulbs to Phillips or osrams down the line? Seems u got the regular 4300K morimoto bulbs?

Old 09-30-2014, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by noripwr
Great idea with removing the diffusers. It gives it a really clean look, but I was afraid that it would be too bright at night for oncoming drivers which seems true in your case.

I plan to do the retro on mine this Friday since its my only day off, and hopefully I get the garage and kitchen to myself. I originally wanted to do square LEDs on the panasquare shrouds I got, or an LED switchback strip on the "check mark" portion of the Fit's headlights. But the idea of taking things apart if the LEDs fail a few months down wasn't something id like since my apartment doesn't have an oven or garage, and I only come home once in a blue moon. So I'm with you with the same idea of using switchbacks and disabling the HID "DRL" by pulling the fuse. I intend to switch the parking lights on if I need "DRL".

How's the cutoff so far and do you have any plans on upgrading the bulbs to Phillips or osrams down the line? Seems u got the regular 4300K morimoto bulbs?
Cutoff is good, I need to adjust the drivers side up a little this evening but that's it. I'm not used to the slopes in the cutoff, if that's what you want to call them. My explorer had HID but I never noticed any defined slope like that. There is quite a bit of purple hue at the edge of the cutoff when I see it shining on the back of a car in front of me or something like that. I guess that's normal???? Otherwise the light output looks good.
I don't think I'll change bulbs unless one burns out. Yes, they are the newer XB35 Morimoto bulbs.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, that blue section is normal. Looks good!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Cutoff is good, I need to adjust the drivers side up a little this evening but that's it. I'm not used to the slopes in the cutoff, if that's what you want to call them. My explorer had HID but I never noticed any defined slope like that. There is quite a bit of purple hue at the edge of the cutoff when I see it shining on the back of a car in front of me or something like that. I guess that's normal???? Otherwise the light output looks good.
I don't think I'll change bulbs unless one burns out. Yes, they are the newer XB35 Morimoto bulbs.
Yea the hue is normal. Its just the projectors reflecting the colors of the HID spectrum. The more distinct the hue the better the projector it seems. That "slope" I'm assuming you mean the _/ _/ kinda hard to type that on the phone, but it's normal too. Unless you're getting something like _/---\_ which isn't. For us LHD it should be __/ __/ and not \__ \__

Anyway really love what u did there and it looks sharp with the Apollo shrouds. Blacked out headlights , diffuser removed, and HIDs with those VLEDs look really amazing especially in your white Fit.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by noripwr
Yea the hue is normal. Its just the projectors reflecting the colors of the HID spectrum. The more distinct the hue the better the projector it seems. That "slope" I'm assuming you mean the _/ _/ kinda hard to type that on the phone, but it's normal too. Unless you're getting something like _/---\_ which isn't. For us LHD it should be __/ __/ and not \__ \__
Sounds like everything is normal then.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:05 PM
So when are you coming over to do mine??

Old 10-01-2014, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member

Which base adapter did have for the V3 led? Im thinking about getting the LEDs.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by payluder
Which base adapter did have for the V3 led? Im thinking about getting the LEDs.
the 7443 7440

Old 10-01-2014, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Looks great. Did you have to do any trimming on the shroud or back of the housing?

Old 10-01-2014, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
Looks great. Did you have to do any trimming on the shroud or back of the housing?
Thanks. Yes, quite a bit of trimming on the shroud which I probably trimmed too much but you have to be right up on it to notice.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
dude awesome job man.. I got the retro done for my ge and I've been saying from the beginning that this is one of the best upgrades to do on the fits!!!!!!!I will never go back !!!! i love it!!! I was actually trying to see if and how would it work out to use the new LED headlights that come on the acuras and toyotas now in days.. but back to the topic awesome job man looks great! I too used the retrofit source and got the fxr state 3 kit 4300 with the apollo 2 shroud... good job man.. I hope more people read up on this post and get away from the cheap hid kits that are out and understand the true function of it .. kudos to you my friend

Quick Reply: Projector headlight install