3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Auto-folding mirrors ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Auto-folding mirrors ?

I think they exist on the JDM fits but does anyone know if they could be easily swappable on our USDM? I assume only the motorized base is needed?

Old 10-14-2014, 03:18 PM
it would probably require some additional wiring
it would not be plug and play

Old 10-14-2014, 03:48 PM
That's good to know because my parts allowance is starting to fade out fast......hehe

@ Noripwr - Not sure how those folding mirrors work but I would think you'd need the base and the mirror housing. I'm guessing the folding operation is gear driven? Maybe? No?

Just thought of another thing, the JDM lane watch camera would be on the driver's side right? Maybe you can carryover the USDM lane watch portion. Don't know.........

Old 10-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Yea wiring wouldn't an issue and I figure I can just mod a button for the folding on/off if I needed to one of the panels next to the Econ button. I mean I've gone through enough mods to know things are most likely not pnp.

I figured the JDM one probably has the lane watch on the LHD so if the motorized portion is just the base, I had this little idea that maybe we could just tak the bases (since they probably the area that's motorized) and swap it in o our USDM models. Maybe mod our mirror housings a little if they don't fit right. I just don't know if it'll work cuz I haven't seen any 100% image video link or fact the JDMs have power folding not have I seen any second hand ones up for sale. :-T

Old 10-14-2014, 07:49 PM
Problem with JDM mirror is its a different size mirror so the base may not even work with usdm side mirror
It's a gamble

JDM mirror is smaller than usdm

Old 10-14-2014, 10:52 PM
@ kenji815 - Wow, that is really surprising to hear the USDM and JDM mirrors aren't the same size. On a cheap(er) car such as a Fit you'd think they would be the same to reduce manufacturing cost. I know Japan has some pretty strict regulations on vehicle width and such...

Old 10-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by GTtoGK
@ kenji815 - Wow, that is really surprising to hear the USDM and JDM mirrors aren't the same size. On a cheap(er) car such as a Fit you'd think they would be the same to reduce manufacturing cost. I know Japan has some pretty strict regulations on vehicle width and such...
Yea that kinda blows my mind. For cutting costs and all, changing the side mirror size? That's one thing that I immediately noticed when shopping for the Fit, was the really big side mirrors.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:22 AM
much was changed in US models to follow safety regulations.
it's not about cutting cost.. rather than following regulations in US

Old 10-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
strange how USDM and JDM mirrors are different sizes... any visual/photo confirmation?

all the GE variants have the same size mirrors pretty much including the fit shuttle and hybrids.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
LHD and RHD mirrors reflect at a different angle as well. You wouldn't be able to see correctly.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by TofuShop
LHD and RHD mirrors reflect at a different angle as well. You wouldn't be able to see correctly.
If the mirror housings were the same size, he may be able to use the USDM mirrors (glass portion) in the JDM housings? Not sure...

Old 10-17-2014, 12:38 PM
It's really not about the housings that would be swapped. If i had my hands on a pair of auto-folding mirrors, I'd likely just see if the base can fit into the USDM mirrors, swap the base out, and then do the wiring from there. If not, I'd likely take out the motors and see if I can mod mount the motors into the USDM base and see if I can make a mechanism to allow the motor to fold the USDM mirror housing in.

I mean, I already know I can't use the JDM mirror housings because of lane watch & LHD/RHD differences. But I'm specific about the JDM GK because I wonder if the auto-folding button is separate or if it's part of the GK window controls, and because the size of the base looks similar enough to our USDM Fit that it's probably best to start with the JDM Gk. Otherwise this could be a fun project if the parts were easily accessible in the US.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
message Maxair. he's from the brazilian fitfans forum. maybe they have gotten some headway with the autofolds. they did a pretty extensive DIY for the GE, now they have the GK.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
I've done this mod on my 2nd gen. I just bought the motors from Japan, direct swap for the manual rotation piece, works like a charm. I installed the JDM turn signals on the mirrors while I was at it.

I also bought an auto fold module from ebay so the mirrors tuck in when I lock, and unfold when I unlock....

Oh and just a quick edit....there are different part numbers for LHD and RHD vehicles to account for the angle...... I ordered the LHD versions

Last edited by k-man; 11-12-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
My parking situation would be a lot less stressful if my mirrors automatically folded-in at power-down. After reading about the auto-folding mirrors on several sites, it seems it may be incompatible with lane-watch feature and strictly a project for owners ready to fearlessly do surgery on their cars. I wish there were after-market shops able to add this feature.