3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Body Moldings Just Arrived

Old 11-17-2014, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Body Moldings Just Arrived

I just got my vinyl body moldings from bernardi Honda. Fast delivery. Now I have to wait for the temperature to rise to 60°.

I thik light application of a heat gun will do the trick. I'll have to make sure I don't melt the paint.

It would be nice if they made these easily removable, so we could change colors occasionally.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
...pics?

you should just have a build thread instead of making new threads.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
You may be waiting until spring to install them, as cold as it is already. I have them also, and am now wishing we had installed them the last time my daughter was home from school. I even went as far as purchasing the roller tool the installation instructions call for. Perhaps when she is home for thanksgiving, we will have a warm afternoon. If so, I will attempt the project then.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
You may be waiting until spring to install them, as cold as it is already. I have them also, and am now wishing we had installed them the last time my daughter was home from school. I even went as far as purchasing the roller tool the installation instructions call for. Perhaps when she is home for thanksgiving, we will have a warm afternoon. If so, I will attempt the project then.
I have a tool like that from putting up wallpaper. Keeping the molding indoors and warm will help. I guess bringing the doors inside wouldn't be a good idea, though.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:38 PM
I put installation pictures on the mods /accessory's thread. I didn't use the roller, just a damp cloth.

You could leave the heater on to keep the panels warm.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mecevans
I put installation pictures on the mods /accessory's thread. I didn't use the roller, just a damp cloth.

You could leave the heater on to keep the panels warm.
What a coincidence! I just came in from putting them on my car. The toughest part of the job was removing that red backing tape on the adhesive. I slit it with a blade, and it was much easier to start.

The temperature was in the 60's today, and probably tomorrow, too, but it will be raining. I'll put them on my son's car tomorrow. His car is in a parking lot all day.

Name:  Ki2uPHV.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  389.3 KB

Old 11-23-2014, 04:21 PM
They reccomend not letting.them get wet for 24hours I think.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
They reccomend not letting.them get wet for 24hours I think.
That's going to be tricky. Tomorrow will be warm but rainy. When will it start, when will I put them on, and when will he have to leave in his car? If it's going to be a day full of rain, I'll do it another time. The molding is in the house - warm. I can use a little bit of heat gun to take the chill off the body of the car.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
That's going to be tricky. Tomorrow will be warm but rainy. When will it start, when will I put them on, and when will he have to leave in his car? If it's going to be a day full of rain, I'll do it another time. The molding is in the house - warm. I can use a little bit of heat gun to take the chill off the body of the car.
Is that a door edge guard I see? (solid plastic or clear film version)? Did you use masking tape to tape the templates on? Did it stick ok? They look good.....I like them. exl500 told me once he thought they looked worse than the dings they were designed to prevent, would. I still laugh about that statement.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Is that a door edge guard I see? (solid plastic or clear film version)? Did you use masking tape to tape the templates on? Did it stick ok? They look good.....I like them. exl500 told me once he thought they looked worse than the dings they were designed to prevent, would. I still laugh about that statement.
The door edge guards are the same type they have been selling for fifty years - plastic with an adhesive inside.

The templates line up with the bottom edge of the doors, and a little flap folds into the door joint. The top of the template is the bottom of the molding. Very easy. I put masking tape of over the rectangular holes and stuck the templates onto the doors. Easy!

Old 11-24-2014, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
I thought the edge guards looked like the plastic ones (color matched). I noticed now they also sell a clear thin piece that is installed much like paint protection is. It is also good to know the masking tape will hold in colder climates, at least long enough to get the guards installed. I assume you used rubbing alcohol to prep the surface. I think they included two alcohol wipes with my order, but I can't find them now. I guess I will use cotton balls instead. I think they look great! I can't wait to get ours installed. I need to get them on before my daughter parks next to the wrong person! In a college town, people are not very concerned with their parking abilities.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:25 AM
. exl500 told me once he thought they looked worse than the dings they were designed to prevent, would. I still laugh about that statement.

Good thing about opinions then... I suspect exl500 was referring to the fact that those moldings won't stop any door dings from any normal car striking the door of the Fit

Most cars, including other Fits… The door will strike well above what does moldings attach...stray shopping carts would strike above that zone too.

So, what exactly does the bodyside molding protect against? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quikser
Good thing about opinions then... I suspect exl500 was referring to the fact that those moldings won't stop any door dings from any normal car striking the door of the Fit

Most cars, including other Fits… The door will strike well above what does moldings attach...stray shopping carts would strike above that zone too.

So, what exactly does the bodyside molding protect against? Inquiring minds want to know.
Well, I can only speak to our own cars. When we first received these, and were still within the return period, we taped them on the side's of our Fit with masking tape, then pulled both our Honda Odyssey and Mazda CX-5 up alongside. In each case, the moldings prevented the other cars doors from hitting the Fit anywhere but the moldings themselves.

So I guess we are back to your opinion on opinions. I do have doubts they would stop a shopping cart, but I will test that once we permanently install then this week, when my daughter returns from school (weather permitting).

And for exl500, I'm pretty sure he said that because he thinks they are ugly. Myself, I think they bring out the folds already in the Fit door, and I like them.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
I thought the edge guards looked like the plastic ones (color matched). I noticed now they also sell a clear thin piece that is installed much like paint protection is. It is also good to know the masking tape will hold in colder climates, at least long enough to get the guards installed. I assume you used rubbing alcohol to prep the surface. I think they included two alcohol wipes with my order, but I can't find them now. I guess I will use cotton balls instead. I think they look great! I can't wait to get ours installed. I need to get them on before my daughter parks next to the wrong person! In a college town, people are not very concerned with their parking abilities.
Yes, the door edge guards are clear, so they work with any color car. The cut easily and will outlast the car. I've been using them for years. I even put a strip on the bottom edge of the hatch. My only concern with that is having moisture accumulate there and causing rust. I don't think they will let water in, though. I'm keeping an eye on that area.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quikser

These are 2" wide strips, not body armor. They are at the widest point on the car doors, so it is most likely that another door will strike there. A Fit owner posted a picture of a ding in the molding, but not in the door. The molding worked.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
These are 2" wide strips, not body armor. They are at the widest point on the car doors, so it is most likely that another door will strike there. A Fit owner posted a picture of a ding in the molding, but not in the door. The molding worked.
Another thing people don't take into consideration, is just how thick these are. Not only are they on the outer most point on the side of the car, they extend that point considerably with their thickness.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
I've added this to my wish list. I think these moldings will prevent most dings if not all of them. Wish I had them on my previous car. Got a ding while I was in the car in the parking lot! #%##^!

Lucky no dings on my new Fit.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:54 AM
I didn't want them at first. Until the third day I owned it. I came out of the store and had a huge dent and paint transfer from some A-hole.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
I didn't want them at first. Until the third day I owned it. I came out of the store and had a huge dent and paint transfer from some A-hole.
We have a local guy who runs a Dents Unbent franchise. He works at your home - or wherever - to remove dents from the outside - no painting, though. Since the car is so new, you should get it fixed. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone in CA who can do it.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:45 PM
I get free dent removal through my dealer. I was lucky and had just waxed the car, so my paint was unscathed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body Moldings Just Arrived