3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Steering Wheel Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:24 AM
m_x
(Who knew leather and lotion weren't a good combination?)

I just saw Silence of the Lambs last night and this comment totally weirded me out this morning haha.

I got a cheapo cover at Advanced Auto Parts. They had the Honda one as well. I found that these cheap covers have a strong plastic/rubber smell that does not get along with a hot car in the sun. It even clings to your hands. I actually bought a cover at Walmart and returned it because of this, but then I went to the auto parts store and found that they all smelled like that. And yes, I stood in the isle of the store and smelled every cover I picked up...

I've had it probably 2 months and the smell has faded so I don't really notice it; but it is still there is you get right up to it.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
I just wear a gloves. I have a pair of sparco karting gloves. Looks cooler and keeps your hands warm during the winter

Old 10-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by m_x
(Who knew leather and lotion weren't a good combination?)

I just saw Silence of the Lambs last night and this comment totally weirded me out this morning haha.
This just made me legitimately 'lol'.

Originally Posted by m_x
I got a cheapo cover at Advanced Auto Parts. They had the Honda one as well. I found that these cheap covers have a strong plastic/rubber smell that does not get along with a hot car in the sun. It even clings to your hands. I actually bought a cover at Walmart and returned it because of this, but then I went to the auto parts store and found that they all smelled like that. And yes, I stood in the isle of the store and smelled every cover I picked up...

I've had it probably 2 months and the smell has faded so I don't really notice it; but it is still there is you get right up to it.
It can't be worse than the "new car smell" that I have going on right now. I generally love that smell, and want it to last as long as possible, but whatever parts are outgassing in there right now are giving off a horrendous chemical stench. When it's hot out (which is basically always right now with this stupidly warm California autumn we're having), the smell is so strong that I can taste it.

Good to know that it dissipates eventually (but I have to laugh at the image of you leaning forward to sniff your steering wheel ).

Old 10-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Kmart in Pinole. but that was the last one.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by ellatron
Kmart in Pinole. but that was the last one.
Darnit! I'll have a looksie at the other 2 stores then, and cross my fingers that they have one. And I'll probably lean forward and smell them in deference to m_x.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:22 PM
I don't think there is anymore. I was searching that wheel cover on google and came upon it on the kmart website. search if they had any in-store and I think I only saw the one in pinole and I think redwood city?

Old 10-16-2014, 01:06 PM
I just did a quick search on Kmart's website and found one in-stock in RWC. Ordered it, and will go pick it up today. WOO!

Old 10-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by spaghetina
I just did a quick search on Kmart's website and found one in-stock in RWC. Ordered it, and will go pick it up today. WOO!

BAM! glad you found one. matching steering wheel buddies, lol

Old 10-16-2014, 06:55 PM
So, I just picked it up and put it on. I like it! I thought maybe it was going to be too bulky because I have freakishly small hands, but I actually like the extra girth it gives the steering wheel. Feels a little like I'm driving some kind of toy car.

Since I ordered it online, I didn't get to look through their stock, but mine has a little bit of white stuff in one of the rubberized sections with the tiny divets/holes. For $13, and because I had to wait for like 15 minutes for them to even find the thing in the first place, I didn't want to mess with getting another, so I'll just take a toothbrush to it and see if I can get it out. If not, I don't really care.

Also wanted to mention that there's no discernible smell to mine. I wonder if maybe yours was shipped in a batch that was boxed with some other smelly plastic or rubber that transferred the smell to your cover, or if maybe different batches were made with slightly different materials.

Either way, for $12.99, I'm a happy camper!

Last edited by spaghetina; 10-16-2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: brain is mush, and I left whole words out of my post
Old 10-24-2014, 03:02 PM
I ordered a Wheelskin leather cover. Red and Black perforated on sides. Based a previous post I ordered size 14 1/4" X 3 7/8". After part way in my installation I realized I did not have enough string to wrap the wheel. I looked at the picture on the instructions and saw the cover wraps tight where the ends meet. I have a gap which explains why I was short on string. I then measure the wheel, it is 4", not 3 7/8". At least the 14 1/4 size is right.
The Wheelskin cover looks great but is not cheap.
If I would have measured the wheel I would not be in this mess. my bad!
Bill#22335

Old 10-24-2014, 03:38 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by BILLBOGEY
I ordered a Wheelskin leather cover. Red and Black perforated on sides. Based a previous post I ordered size 14 1/4" X 3 7/8". After part way in my installation I realized I did not have enough string to wrap the wheel. I looked at the picture on the instructions and saw the cover wraps tight where the ends meet. I have a gap which explains why I was short on string. I then measure the wheel, it is 4", not 3 7/8". At least the 14 1/4 size is right.
The Wheelskin cover looks great but is not cheap.
If I would have measured the wheel I would not be in this mess. my bad!
Bill#22335
I just spoke with the Wheelskin customer service lady. I told her what happened, she asked me to measure the wheel diameter. It is 14 1/2" not 14 1/4". She said that although the 14 1/4" size fit over the wheel but being too small was also part of the problem. They had no size yet for the 2015 Fit. I asked about returning the cover and getting the right size. She said since I tried to put cover on, just to keep it and they would send me the 14 1/2 X 4" size at no charge.
The cover cost $64.95 plus 8.95 shipping. Single color covers cost less. If you want a high quality, good looking cover, give wheelskins a try. Several auto accessory dealers carry these, maybe a little cheaper, but I just ordered from Wheelskins website , that may have helped get this problem resolved promptly and really fairly. Delivery only took a couple of days. I will let you know how the new cover fits the Fit! PS: I got red and black wheel cover because I ordered red and black seat covers for my Fit. Car needs some color

Last edited by BILLBOGEY; 10-24-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: missed word
Old 10-29-2014, 03:20 PM
I think it looks so good that I want one for myself now too! It looks especially nice for something that came from Kmart! Lol. I like that it looks like it's easy to put on and remove because 1. I hate struggling to fit tight things on other things that they barely fit, and 2. if I damage it because my hands always seem to be covered in a layer of hand-sanitizer gel and/or lotion, I can easily replace it. I sort of ruined my '10 leather steering wheel with the aforementioned things. (Who knew leather and lotion weren't a good combination? )

I'm going to have to hit up my local Kmart and see if they have this tomorrow. Any chance the Kmart you went to is in either Hayward or Redwood City? (I have to be in both places tomorrow, so if one is a sure thing, I'll go there.) Is this a specific size?
I tried this cover. It feels terrible to me, I returned it and ordered a leather cover from Wheelskins. The proper size for a 2015 FIT LX is 14 1/2" X 4". They did not have 2015 cover listed so may have to special order it. Cost delivered form Wheelskins is $73.90. Not cheap, but a real nice, good feel cover. You may be able to shop some vendors and get a cheaper price for them. Bill#22335

Old 10-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by BILLBOGEY
I just spoke with the Wheelskin customer service lady. I told her what happened, she asked me to measure the wheel diameter. It is 14 1/2" not 14 1/4". She said that although the 14 1/4" size fit over the wheel but being too small was also part of the problem. They had no size yet for the 2015 Fit. I asked about returning the cover and getting the right size. She said since I tried to put cover on, just to keep it and they would send me the 14 1/2 X 4" size at no charge.
The cover cost $64.95 plus 8.95 shipping. Single color covers cost less. If you want a high quality, good looking cover, give wheelskins a try. Several auto accessory dealers carry these, maybe a little cheaper, but I just ordered from Wheelskins website , that may have helped get this problem resolved promptly and really fairly. Delivery only took a couple of days. I will let you know how the new cover fits the Fit! PS: I got red and black wheel cover because I ordered red and black seat covers for my Fit. Car needs some color
This is the right size (14 1/2" X4"). Was pain to put on but really nice look and feel.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm actually beginning to dislike the feel of the seam of the cover underneath my hand, but I still like the fatness and the fact that I can slather on lotion and not worry about being slippery or ruining anything. I had one of those "sew-on" types of covers long ago, and I never liked the way it looked sitting over the flat parts of the steering wheel, although it was definitely a nice, smooth grip.

I may shop around for something better if/when this one gets gross or starts to fall apart, but for now it's still doing its job. Plus, I'm pretty keen on the fact that it says 'Honda' all over it - that's probably dorky, but I y'am what I y'am!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:54 PM
m_x
I'm actually beginning to dislike the feel of the seam of the cover underneath my hand, but I still like the fatness and the fact that I can slather on lotion and not worry about being slippery or ruining anything. I had one of those "sew-on" types of covers long ago, and I never liked the way it looked sitting over the flat parts of the steering wheel, although it was definitely a nice, smooth grip.

I may shop around for something better if/when this one gets gross or starts to fall apart, but for now it's still doing its job. Plus, I'm pretty keen on the fact that it says 'Honda' all over it - that's probably dorky, but I y'am what I y'am!
But how does it SMELL?!

Old 11-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Just picked up the honda steering wheel cover for 12 bucks. Last one at Kmart! Looks pretty good! cheap alternative than buying the actual leather wrapped steering wheel that comes with the EX-L

Old 11-07-2014, 11:14 AM
So, besides the inexpensive "Honda" K-mart cover and the more expensive Wheelskin option, are there any other steering wheel options?

Are there any other materials available (neoprene?) for steering wheel covers? Is it just that the Fit is too new and that the market needs to catch up?

I would love to cover my EX wheel, but don't want to invest in the Wheelskin cover if there will be alternatives eventually.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:04 PM
m_x
Covers are sort of universal, sold by the diameter of the wheel. Just go to the auto parts store or k/walmart and you will find all kinds of styles and materials, neoprene included. It's in this thread someplace. but I think the diameter of the Fit wheel is between 14 and 15 inches.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by m_x
Covers are sort of universal, sold by the diameter of the wheel. Just go to the auto parts store or k/walmart and you will find all kinds of styles and materials, neoprene included. It's in this thread someplace. but I think the diameter of the Fit wheel is between 14 and 15 inches.
Got it, thanks. I guess I was looking for more custom options but I will see what's out there based on the size of the wheel.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by m_x
LX fit wheel is 14 1/2 inches diameter This is size with 4" wheel thickness I got for my wheelskins cover. and fits perfect. Bill #22335

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Cover