3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Sound Deadening Soundproofing GK Fit

Old 10-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Sound Deadening Soundproofing GK Fit

Hey all, first post here. Thanks to everyone for great posts. These forums have been incredibly helpful figuring out what else to do with my new Fit!

I am looking into sound deadening/proofing my GK Fit before upgrading my stereo and was hoping for some advice and feedback first. This post will be fairly long as it seems like a pretty complicated topic.

I have read over threads here and for other cars and have two main questions: 1) With what product/s? 2) Where?

1) With what? How many layers? I talked to a professional audio place and it sounds like they only do a dynamat layer and didn't seem like they knew what I was talking about when I asked about any other layers.

Is it worth it to do 3 layers of material - Sound Deadener Layer/Separation Layer/Sound Blocker Layer?

Read that doing just dynamat type deadener isn't really made to block noise just hold down vibration resonance. I am leaning toward the 3 layers but was wondering if people who have been through it think it's worth it or not.

As for layer materials...

Sound Deadener - Anti-vibration/resonance

I saw that Superfly recommended Peel n Seal or other asphalt based roofing product from somewhere like Lowes. I have read conflicting info on that. Some say great...others say it will smell when it heats up and also that it shouldn't be used on vertical surfaces. Thoughts? Should I go with a Dynamat or Raammat type product (butyl based) (sidenote: saw somewhere that Quick Roof from Home Depot doesn't smell as much...don't know)

Separating Layer - Dividing deadener from blocker

Ensolite or some other material? Good cheap alternative?

Sound Blocker Layer

MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) - For the sound blocker seems like MLV is what's used at 1/8" for 1lb/Sq.Ft. Other alternatives? I've seen it available in my area (Boston) for $1.60+/Sq.Ft.

2) Where? - Doors, Trunk, Floor, Roof, Front/Firewall/Engine

Where is it worth it? Sounds like doors definitely. Trunk somewhat. Floors and roof sounds like minimal benefit? Has anyone done the floors and roof in a GK? (Rottboy maybe?)

With the GK already being quieter than previous models not sure how much difference it makes vs what I read from people's experience with older models.

Finally, any thoughts on throwing acoustic foam or something else to fill gaps such as inside the door? I was thinking about this but was wondering if that would hurt the performance of the speakers.

I am a total noob at any car mods. This will be my first project. My old stereo sounded a lot better and after reading the car mod forums for ideas the project is growing...

Thanks for any thoughts!

Old 10-16-2014, 10:16 AM
m_x
Your post is very thorough

I can't comment on any of it, but I'll tell you that there are a few detailed posts about this in the "What Mods?" sticky in the General 3rd Gen Fit discussion. People say aluminum roofing flash works great and is only around $15 a roll.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Also have a look in the ICE sub forum, there are some good picks of Fits being deadened.

I found a Butyl rubber version of Peal and Seal at our version of Lowes so no asphalt smell and it seams heavier.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Thank you m_x and nicco. I have read a lot of the "What mods?" sticky and that made up a lot of the info in my post. I was thinking to create a thread dedicated to sound deadening to make it a little easier to find.

I'll look for that butyl-based product. that sounds like what I'm looking for. I'll also look back over the ICE threads.

Anybody deaden anything beyond the doors in a GK? What do you think?

Old 10-16-2014, 11:18 PM
I didn't get any pic's of doing the back doors as was just focused on the task but took some pics of doing the front until I ran out of material. I will take more when I get more of it.

Name:  58A0F5F5-EA70-435B-ADD3-69D2B19B9F55.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  24B4D8F3-E71C-4A49-A482-B8FB5FAA01BA.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  78D36E22-559D-44AE-B1A7-983F9F5CF9CB.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  79.6 KB

Old 10-16-2014, 11:29 PM
On the back doors, I was able to cover most of the inside of the skin. I have used it on the speaker mounts to both ensure a good seal and help to increase the height of the speakers even if it is only 1mm.

I have found that a few well placed bulldog clips will help hold the plastic sheet on the inside up and out of the way.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Can anyone take a good clear picture of the front doors with the door skins off? I'd like to see where the clips are located so when I take mine off I know where to use my panel clip removal tools without damaging the plastic

Old 10-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Can anyone take a good clear picture of the front doors with the door skins off? I'd like to see where the clips are located so when I take mine off I know where to use my panel clip removal tools without damaging the plastic

Door skins? You mean the door panel? The plastic clips are located around the perimeter of the door panel, and the whole thing easily comes off by pulling around the perimeter with your hand, starting from one corner and going around. You don't really need a panel clip removal tool.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:43 PM
There are posts in the "What Mods?" sticky in the 3rd Gen forum with some photos of the doors with the panels removed. Check out post numbers: #487, #492, #497

Thank you ROTTBOY and Superfly for great posts!

I wanted to copy them and post them here to consolidate the info on sound deadening but can't seem to get the pictures to copy over. If someone knows how to do that, please copy them. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:17 AM
If you put to many layers or anything down (with the exception of inside the doors) it will make reinstalling the factory interior pieces a pain! I would do one layer in the floor but then have the bottom of the car coated with Rhino Liner or some regular rubberized undercoat. It will help with sound deadening especially with rocks hitting it from under the bottom. And will protect the car from rust!
I am sure you can find a ton of local shops to do this for you.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by flotownj
If you put to many layers or anything down (with the exception of inside the doors) it will make reinstalling the factory interior pieces a pain! I would do one layer in the floor but then have the bottom of the car coated with Rhino Liner or some regular rubberized undercoat. It will help with sound deadening especially with rocks hitting it from under the bottom. And will protect the car from rust!
I am sure you can find a ton of local shops to do this for you.

Having taken my Jazz over dirt roads for the first time, I am with flotownj on doing a paint on liner on the underside of the floor pan. It sounded like hail on a tin roof so for me, it is as much about reducing the noise as it is about protecting the underside of the car from all the rocks and gravel chipping/denting it and allowing rust to get started. I will just put mine up on jack stands, pressure clean and then use a brush on product. If you go to the sticky mods thread, you will see the effort Rottboy has had to put in to get to the upper side of the floorpan, it shows you the factory deadening.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Thanks flotownj and nicco. I'll look into the underside coating as well.

Just found this thread about CLD (Constrained Layer Damping) products such as Dynamat, Peel & Seal etc. The OP has done (and continues to do) a ton of work testing products. After reading through the thread, I think I will go for an auto focused product as opposed to a roofing or insulation product. While the cheaper products make a difference, it looks like the auto focused ones do justify their expense in being more effective. If I could tell the difference in my car, I don't know but with all the time it's going to take I figure the extra expense is worth it. The OP's top recommendation so far for a butyl-based product is CLD Tiles from SoundDeadenerShowdown. Here's the thread link:

Sound Deadening (CLD) Testing - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum