3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Creative solutions for armrest?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Question Creative solutions for armrest?

Hi folks!

I love my New Fit (2015 EX)!... but...

As other EX/Navi owners report, I'm baffled as to why Honda would include this virtually "useless" armrest on the Fit. Unless I lay down on the seat, I can't make use of the said "armrest" ... and I'm short.

After hours of research on the net, I did find a few threads which offers solutions, none of which I found adequate (yoga block, inserting a curtain rod, etc). A member named Yvan seems to have a solution but it lacks details/information for its implementation.

I was hoping some of you could offer a solution(s) that have worked for you?

Cheers!

PS. i miss my very functional 2002 Altima armrest.... which is an armrest

Old 01-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by korgster
Hi folks!

I love my New Fit (2015 EX)!... but...

As other EX/Navi owners report, I'm baffled as to why Honda would include this virtually "useless" armrest on the Fit. Unless I lay down on the seat, I can't make use of the said "armrest" ... and I'm short.

After hours of research on the net, I did find a few threads which offers solutions, none of which I found adequate (yoga block, inserting a curtain rod, etc). A member named Yvan seems to have a solution but it lacks details/information for its implementation.

I was hoping some of you could offer a solution(s) that have worked for you?

Cheers!

PS. i miss my very functional 2002 Altima armrest.... which is an armrest
Yes, there is a solution for the armrest!
New video coming for installation!
Yvan thank you

Old 01-27-2015, 08:26 PM
3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum

(ARMREST FIT FIOU)
Now ... after 3 months of testing!
There is a solution!
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...honda-fit.html

Last edited by MysTiC27; 01-27-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Yvan,
you keep saying there is a solution, you show the video of the installed product but you offer no details. (I've also asked you on your YT channel). You've mentioned an installation video for three months. I know it can be time consuming to make a video so....

Why not provide the details of your mod / installation in writing so this can be useful to us?
cheers,

Old 01-28-2015, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
It looks like it's just the top of the aftermarket arm rest that is secured to the existing armrest by velcro straps.

IMO that's a lot of money for using just a piece of an aftermarket accessory and then you still have unsightly velcro straps showing.

Last edited by MacStevenXIII; 01-28-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MacStevenXIII
It looks like it's just the top of the aftermarket arm rest that is secured to the existing armrest by velcro straps.

IMO that's a lot of money for using just a piece of an aftermarket accessory and then you still have unsightly velcro straps showing.
My thought as well MacStevenXIII. I see two possible issues with this solution:
  1. On an EX, with a "blue/grey" stock armrest, the straps will be even more conspicuous
  2. As you mentioned, looks like he's using only the top box. This would make the armrest still too low for comfortable use. I actually confirmed this with the supplier.
I'm new to looking for aftermarket upgrades for cars.

How long does it "normally" take for something like this to appear on the market?

Old 01-28-2015, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member

As you mentioned, looks like he's using only the top box. This would make the armrest still too low for comfortable use. I actually confirmed this with the supplier.
Yes, that's my problem too.

I'm not using the armrest to make manual shifting comfortable, which it seems that's what Yvan is using it for.

I probably need like at least 4 inches more of height from the armrest to make it comfortable for me to rest my arm while my hand is on the steering wheel.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, we apparently have exactly the same dilemma.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Well if that helps any one of us!
Video intallation (Armrest Fit Fiou)

Yvan thank you

Old 01-28-2015, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Yvan, but as I mentioned several times before, unfortunately this is insufficient for us. More detailed information is needed.
Really? This is "installation" ? I must be daft.
Cheers

Last edited by korgster; 01-28-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MysTiC27
Well if that helps any one of us!
Video intallation (Armrest Fit Fiou)

Yvan thank you

COMMENT: LOL!!! That's my exact expression after I watched the video!!!! Am sure MysTiC27 will eventually "clear the air" on this install. - rttby

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 01-28-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:38 PM
If you only have $15 and want to be really comfy, but don't care about looks, this is the thread for you: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...r-armrest.html

Old 01-28-2015, 08:52 PM
I'm having the same "fit" as you guys. I see the benefit of tearing apart another solution to modify my own but I'm after something that doesn't look so... well.. rigged. I've been contemplating a design and how to accomplish it. It has to be lightweight so that the current compartment is usable and not feel like I'm lifting a brick to get to it. It has to look good... no tie-downs showing. It has to be functional so adding another 4-5 inches of height. I've been thinking of tracing out the shape of the current armrest and using PVC board to shape to the same contours. Then making a box that would sit atop the current armrest. This box would be hollowed out so then I started thinking "well, that could be a secondary storage box if I could hinge it." But I keep running up against the question of how to secure it tightly without looking like it was rigged with straps. Then I got to considering "what if I made the fabric to where it was closed and wrapped underneath the current armrest to keep it in place? Hmm.. that would keep me from needing straps (or at least straps that you could see), it would merge with the current design but still it'd look like a very large armrest but still have storage space.. maybe a way to incorporate a cell phone holder/charger into it... all kinds of options. I do want this to work without having to drill into the current armrest to secure it or have to take a bunch of stuff apart so I'm still in the "what if" mode. I can see it in my head but just can't quite put it all together. What fabric to use, how to sew the fabric so the seams don't bunch up in a corner but rather transition nicely, how to secure it so it doesn't wobble, how to pad the top, rounding off corners on the router, fitment to the armrest so that both can be raised without brushing up against the seat, carrying it further to maybe add cupholders behind the console for rear-seated passengers, and so forth. When I find time over the next couple of months I'll see what I can do and share it with you all. I don't expect it to be an easily repeatable solution. I've seen what others have done and they're great if that's what you're ok with. Me, I want something that's more "factory" looking, functional, and cool. What do you want to bet that as soon as I get it done there will be an aftermarket rest that hits the market? Never fails.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
@scotlinkon...
We're on the same wavelength. The yoga block solution certainly is functional but for my purpose, I also am looking for something more factory looking. I've asked the folks on ebay cartrimhome (ebay store) in China as they do offer a perfect solution for the LX/DX. If only I knew when/if the EX/Navi would come to market, perhaps I would wait.

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for an elegant solution. Consideing modifying some other armrest they sell. How to modify it and affix it remains a mystery.

What did you mean by :
Originally Posted by scotlinkon
Then I got to considering "what if I made the fabric to where it was closed and wrapped underneath the current armrest to keep it in place?
Cheers,

Old 01-28-2015, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by scotlinkon
.......having the same "fit" as you guys.....want something that's more "factory" looking....bet that as soon as I get it done there will be an aftermarket rest that hits the market? Never fails.
.....on the same wavelength......
That make three of us (most probably a whole bunch more) GK owners looking for the "right" solution. Mystic's, at least, looks the best so far.
The console doesn't bother me much but if something better is available, why not.
When I finally decided to order the GK last year Feb., there was nothing available on Ebay specifically for the GK. At the end of 2014, maybe 1000 sellers. Now, more than 3 to 4 times more.
Leave it up to the aftermarket industry (China and the rest of the planet) to design an armrest, specifically suited for our MDM GKs.
Think of it this way, GD population in the US totalled 165,000 during its lifetime and there remains tons of aftermarket items available. GKs should reach that total in about 2 yrs. Am sure there'll be lotsa of enterprising individuals who are going to stimulate supply for various necessary add-ons.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:18 AM
Indeed. Demand should drive a solution. Still, the challenge to conquer is compelling. What I meant by the fabric being closed and wrapping around the armrest was along the lines of a sock. If I could make the fabric open on the back where I could slide it over the armrest, with strategically cut/reinforced holes to line up with the rubber bumpers and the latching mechanism, that would keep it in place vertically. Then with snap buttons on the rear of the add-on it would be able to stay in place horizontally. The PVC board would be cut in a fashion to sit atop the current armrest but also molded to the contour of the front where it makes it's opening for the parking brake. This matching contour would help lock it in place from side to side. So with the side-to-side taken care of, the back-to-back taken care of with snaps, and the up-and-down trapped by a fabric that is continuous but allows it to slide over the armrest would create the image of a single-unit rather than two separate armrests. I hope that makes sense. I imagine it would take plenty of shaping time for the PVC to make a snug and mirrored match, but possible. Then cutting the fabric, probably 3 pieces so that the sew together in nice seams that don't bunch up in corners, smooth routed corners to eliminate sharp edges, some not-so-thick cushioning, and that would make a decent looking setup - at least how I imagine it. Now making it a reality and practical is a different question. It might be simpler to remove the whole armrest itself and make a completely new single unit that is directly attached to the console but when I removed the back cover of the console, the pin on the pivot point seems to be flared at one end making it hard to remove (I haven't given it more than a glance though). Also, making the new piece match up with exactly and also incorporating the latch might be problematic. Still, to be contemplated. Believe me, I have better things to do but just sharing some brainstorming about the issue. I feel if I can fix this, the door arm rest, and the seat comfort itself, I will have arrived and reached nirvana with this car.

COMMENT: Am liking your "approach". I too, would'nt hesitate investing on anything that is sturdy and looks OEM. Go for it! When you finally concoct the right formula: document it, photograph it and share, share, share. There'll be a ton of us who'll be grateful for the effort!!!! - rttby

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 01-29-2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys!

Thank you your input.
Indeed waiting for an OEM solution may be the way to go. Wish I had a crystal ball.

@scotlinkon... thanks for your detailed creative thinking. You certainly have given this some serious thought.

As you know, the challenge is to rig something up that's solid and OEM looking, without "damaging" (read: drilling, etc) the stock components.

Yes, if I find a solution, I'll most definitely share the wealth here.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Old 01-29-2015, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
If I can just figure out how to transfer the heating element in the seat, I'll replace the stock seat with my La-Z-Boy

Old 01-30-2015, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member
I just posted this in another thread but it best fits here:

So far, until I can purchase an OEM product, I think the solution for me will be a variation of the "curtain rod prop" solution. I'm short so the armrest doesn't need to be opened much to provide proper support. Raised slightly at a low angle (armrest opened) I can rest my elbow on the front portion and rest my hand on the shifter (auto transmission). Same principle as the curtain rod solution.

Since I don't like the look of the curtain rod, I'll be looking to create a small block which looks like at "T" with a fat bottom. Perhaps use black packing material some times found in computer shipping boxes (hard foam) which would be easily carved to shape. The idea is to prop open the armrest with it. When not in use, it could be dropped into the compartment... or simply left in place.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Creative solutions for armrest?