3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Climate Control Interface

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Question Import Climate Control?

Does anyone know if there is a way to install the Canadian or EU climate control system on a US model fit? I cant seem to find any information about it anywhere.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Climate Control Interface

Hey Fit Freaks!

One of the few things I have against the 2015 Fit is that the climate control interface is a bit odd. The recirculation feature is turned on by a flick switch type when most if not all other cars just use a simple button.
Looking into the new Honda Jazz, I found that they have a better more digitized climate control interface. Does anyone know if that could be retrofitted into our american Honda Fits? In addition, the Jazz has auto climate control which would make this a more harder feat.

Top: Honda Jazz
Bottom: Honda Fit

Last edited by Kalvin Loc; 06-22-2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 06-22-2015, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know how to do it, but I can tell you how I would go about finding-out how to do it.
  1. If you haven't already, read the thread here about how this is done for the GE Fits. This gives a general idea of what is involved and the kinds of parts needed.
  2. Compare the relevant parts lists between the US and Canadian EX-L. Some that come to mind:
    Control panel/brain: US vs. CAN
    HVAC unit: US vs. CAN
    HVAC sensors: US vs. CAN
    Others...
  3. Take a look at the diagrams and manuals. Some diagrams are posted here. I believe that one has to subscribe to the Honda site here to see all of the manuals.

This kind of research is fun, but time consuming. At least Canada is closer than Europe!

Old 06-22-2015, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
See similar question in this thread.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
I tend to like the manual HVAC controls. Easier to operate without a lot of squinting at a small screen.

Given a requested scenario, I bet the guy with the manual controls can achieve the desired settings at least 2x quicker than the guy with the touch panel interface and up down buttons.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by tbFit
I tend to like the manual HVAC controls. Easier to operate without a lot of squinting at a small screen.

Given a requested scenario, I bet the guy with the manual controls can achieve the desired settings at least 2x quicker than the guy with the touch panel interface and up down buttons.
I'm with tbFit on this one. The manual controls seem much more user friendly. With the touch screen control buttons, it's sometimes difficult to tell whether you actually pressed the button or not, especially with gloves on.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
I've never had a car with a "push button" to select fresh air/recirculate. Then again, I've never owned a modern luxury car, either. Slide controls are pretty common out here in the real world.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Much as I like the novelty of having digital controls, the smarts running it and the labor involved is extensive. However, I will wager that it is very much doable.

Conner in Canada retrofitted his 2nd gen FIT from manual to auto, but the work was very involved. I'd expect similar work load.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...onversion.html

I'd expect a bunch more sensors that the current GK EX has. Need at least two stepper motors for vent louver articulation, and temperature louver. Far as wiring goes, I have no clue but if its as difficult what Conner did having to buy an entire harness and bastardize what was needed, the cost alone for a junk yard harness may not be worth it.

I'd be curious if anyone wants to take on the task. if its proven to be not as bad as Conner's switchover, hell I'm thousands into mods at this point, whats a few more HAHA!

Old 06-24-2015, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit

I thoroughly agree. The only benefit I can see from the electronic panel shown in the photo is that it displays the target temperatre. But the manual knob and slider are a much better way to control the system. Just as a rotary knob is much better than any other gizmo for controlling the sound system's volume.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Buck Fitty
I thoroughly agree. The only benefit I can see from the electronic panel shown in the photo is that it displays the target temperatre. But the manual knob and slider are a much better way to control the system. Just as a rotary knob is much better than any other gizmo for controlling the sound system's volume.
100% agree. Plus the other benifit of manual controls is the absence of electronic components to fail. If its not called for in the design, that part# will never fail!

Old 06-24-2015, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
One positive for GK owners contemplating this mod is that unlike the GE, there is a north american fit that comes with auto climate control.......the Canadian EX-L models have the auto climate control system, so it will be easier to source parts and the NA service manual should contain the relevant information...

Personally, i think the auto climate control setup looks much better and the auto feature is worthwhile.... if I bought a GK, I would for sure get the EX-L to get the auto climate control (among other things).

Old 06-24-2015, 11:14 PM
That is true kman. The american GK Fits already have the external temp sensor, sunbeam sensor, and i think the humidity sensor thats next to the steering wheel. The majority of the work would be switching out the blower housing, adding the two servo motors, changing over the climate controls and adapting its harness to the harness in the GK.

Even still it's a lot of work. The added complexity, it is not necessary for for function. I agree with many others on this thread that if it's not broken don't fix it.

That being said if someone who was bold enough to take on such a project I would be very interested to see how it goes