3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

No LED Headlights on USDM Fit :(

Old 04-18-2014, 12:57 PM
No LED Headlights on USDM Fit :(

I was pretty disappointed to find out that the USDM Fit will not have the same LED headlights that comes on the JDM version, especially since LED headlights now come standard even on base model Corollas!

Would it be a simple plug-and-play install to get these LED headlights onto the USDM version, assuming that it would be possible to modify them to have a LHD beam pattern fit for US road use? How likely do you think they will be made available for the mid-gen refresh?

Old 04-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MontrealBagel
I was pretty disappointed.....
Disappointed to the point that the GK US OEM headlight set-up is a deal breaker?

Do I think that's unfortunate? Nah. For me, a continuing source of pure entertainment since NFL and "House of Cards" seasons are done. They're guys posting everywhere their hopes have been dashed on the GK giving all sorts of conclusions: DI, loss of space, un-pleasing new look, 6-speed gearing, CVT fluid change, MPG ratings...........etc and the list keeps growing.

Have you personally seen a GK up front? Well am sure you as well as the above, "deal is over" posters, may change your impressions once you actually go to the dealership and perform a systematic up-close and physical inspection.

Lets even go further. Assuming the OEM headlights are not bright enough, with 70k units expected to flood the system in 2015 for NA, some after-market source from China will flood Ebay not only with kits for LED conversion but HID too.

Be patient and see if your gripe is as intense AFTER you make that first test drive.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 04-18-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
Disappointed to the point that the GK US OEM headlight set-up is a deal breaker?

Do I think that's unfortunate? Nah. For me, a continuing source of pure entertainment since NFL and "House of Cards" seasons are done. They're guys posting everywhere their hopes have been dashed on the GK giving all sorts of conclusions: DI, loss of space, un-pleasing new look, 6-speed gearing, CVT fluid change, MPG ratings...........etc and the list keeps growing.

Have you personally seen a GK up front? Well am sure you as well as the above, "deal is over" posters, may change your impressions once you actually go to the dealership and perform a systematic up-close and physical inspection.

Lets even go further. Assuming the OEM headlights are not bright enough, with 70k units expected to flood the system in 2015 for NA, some after-market source from China will flood Ebay not only with kits for LED conversion but HID too.

Be patient and see if your gripe is as intense AFTER you make that first test drive.
I am pretty OCD about my lighting and can't stand the dull yellow light of halogen headlamps or obnoxious glaring HID kits!! It bothered me so much that I retrofitted my previous 2 cars with OEM HID projectors. I guess I must have really terrible night vision.

I plan to get a 3rd gen Fit once the mid-gen refresh comes out regardless of what kind of headlights it will have, but it would be nice if I could keep my car 100% stock by not having to do another retrofit.

Also, I think LED headlights would improve gas mileage too which would be a big plus for me. Isn't the US government going to ban filament bulbs within the next 5 years because it's so inefficient? I hope it will apply to automotive lighting as well.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
...can't stand the dull yellow light of halogen headlamps or obnoxious glaring HID kits!! It bothered me so much that I retrofitted my previous 2 cars with OEM HID projectors. I guess I must have really terrible night vision........plan to get a 3rd gen Fit once the mid-gen refresh comes out regardless of what kind of headlights it will have.....keep my car 100% stock.........think LED headlights would improve gas mileage too which would be a big plus for me................
Have you actually seen the headlights of the new GK???? I mean, that's my point. You can knock the lights all you want but without having a physical look, its all pre-supposing and creating an issue (even if your OCD about lights) with no factual basis.

YOur getting one anyways, regardless of headlights?? Guess your thread had been posted to let everyone know about your poor night vision.

Finally, please enlighten me, how will LED headlights improve gas mileage???

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 04-18-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
No LED's

"I was pretty disappointed to find out that the USDM Fit will not have the same LED headlights that comes on the JDM version"

Thank goodness! IMO LED's have become the latest trendy OVERUSED fad! Just like the crystal taillight lenses. I was getting gas recently, and was nearly blinded by the LED's on a new Cadillac as it pulled in beside me, and this was at 9:00 a.m.! Just my $0.02 worth!
'12 VBP Sport 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Last edited by fittmann; 04-18-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
Have you actually seen the headlights of the new GK???? I mean, that's my point. You can knock the lights all you want but without having a physical look, its all pre-supposing and creating an issue (even if your OCD about lights) with no factual basis.

YOur getting one anyways, regardless of headlights?? Guess your thread had been posted to let everyone know about your poor night vision.

Finally, please enlighten me, how will LED headlights improve gas mileage???
Halogen headlights suck no matter what car they're on.

I'm just annoyed they are using still using such old lighting technology especially on a new generation car. Toyota made LED headlights standard on the base model of their new generation Corollas so I was really hoping Honda would do the same for their new gen cars.

LEDs use much less power to create the same light output as halogen which I assume would have an affect on gas mileage.

Originally Posted by fittmann
"I was pretty disappointed to find out that the USDM Fit will not have the same LED headlights that comes on the JDM version"

Thank goodness! IMO LED's have become the latest trendy OVERUSED fad! Just like the crystal taillight lenses. I was getting gas recently, and was nearly blinded by the LED's on a new Cadillac as it pulled in beside me, and this was at 9:00 a.m.! Just my $0.02 worth!
'12 VBP Sport 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods!!
They probably had them aimed too high or the car was at an angle that made them shine directly into your eyes. Try driving with them and you'll see that it's a night and day difference. You will never want to go back, it's an addiction!!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Halogen headlights suck ........LEDs use much less power.....I assume would have an affect on gas mileage.....it's an addiction!!
Okay, will take your word for it. LED headlights will be my 4th add-on after I assess the OEM halogens first-hand.
See, I'm always willing to learn from the more experienced!!!!!!!!!:

Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 PM
In theory, the lower LED power consumption should reduce the drag on the electrical system and thus relieve the alternator from extra work. This should lessen the load on the engine which turns the alternator. However, I'm sure any fuel savings from LEDs would be wiped out if your tires were under-inflated by 1 psi so I take this with a "grain of salt".

Old 04-18-2014, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Halogen headlights suck no matter what car they're on.

I'm just annoyed they are using still using such old lighting technology especially on a new generation car. Toyota made LED headlights standard on the base model of their new generation Corollas so I was really hoping Honda would do the same for their new gen cars.

LEDs use much less power to create the same light output as halogen which I assume would have an affect on gas mileage.

They probably had them aimed too high or the car was at an angle that made them shine directly into your eyes. Try driving with them and you'll see that it's a night and day difference. You will never want to go back, it's an addiction!!
Well, to be fair - the corolla is not the same class car as the Fit- the Fit is less expensive. If you were to complain about the civic, that would be a different story. But LED lighting is expensive - they don't even have it on the Acura ILX and only on the highest model Accords. I'd give the technology some more time to mature. I'd rather have a car that's much more fun to drive, and those awesome magic seats, than LED lighting. Keep in mind that you can always mod your lights later and add those in yourself, if you really must have LED headlights (just buy the JDM Fit headlights somewhere on Ebay and you would have your LED lights), which in my opinion are not worth it

Old 04-18-2014, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
This is screaming "group buy from Japan" later after a bunch of people are ready.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by xorbe
This is screaming "group buy from Japan" later after a bunch of people are ready.
they are not cheap but it is something I can organise

Old 04-19-2014, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by fittmann
Thank goodness! IMO LED's have become the latest trendy OVERUSED fad! Just like the crystal taillight lenses.
I would have been thrilled to have a set of Xenon HID if not LEDs. IMO, there is no real advantage in light output for LEDs vs Xenons, and the later seem much easier to replace.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator
do u mean projector headlights? i didnt think the JDM Fit3 came with LED headlights...

Old 04-19-2014, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
do u mean projector headlights? i didnt think the JDM Fit3 came with LED headlights...
IDK, I'm just repeating what others here are saying. What does JDM have? Halogens behind a projector lens? Xenons behind a projector lens? Or LED?

Old 04-19-2014, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by ColinS
IDK, I'm just repeating what others here are saying. What does JDM have? Halogens behind a projector lens? Xenons behind a projector lens? Or LED?

Old 04-19-2014, 02:34 AM
^^ Ok, but what kind of lamp?

Old 04-19-2014, 04:34 AM
high beams are halogens, low beam are LED.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:53 AM
5 Year Member
but i'd agree that some kind of option would be nice. i'd still buy the new fit with or without the LED. LED's are nice to have, but the fit has it's own little niche. what i'd prefer over LED or HID lights would be the having the same 1.8L engine in the civic. the fuel economy of the FIT is only good if you've got a super light foot. the vehicle is extremely under powered and could really benefit with a larger engine and a little more HP.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by bunz559
but i'd agree that some kind of option would be nice. i'd still buy the new fit with or without the LED. LED's are nice to have, but the fit has it's own little niche. what i'd prefer over LED or HID lights would be the having the same 1.8L engine in the civic. the fuel economy of the FIT is only good if you've got a super light foot. the vehicle is extremely under powered and could really benefit with a larger engine and a little more HP.
after owning it for about 6 months Id have to agree.

For daily trundling around 130hp is plenty. but for a fun car which it claims to be an extra 40-50hp would make it so much better.

Luckily for me its my daily so I can live with it not being super exciting, if I liked driving and it was my only car you would have to do something like KA swap or get something else.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:23 AM
Don't be misled. LED's are energy efficient and they are bright to look at but their "throw" is not particularly powerful, you need a lot of them and they need good projectors or lenses to be effective. There is a reason they work well on TV's. HID cuts through the darkness very well. HID is very bright to oncoming drivers and halogens are very energy inefficient and run hot but reliably bright. It seems the OP has tried HID but not LED.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No LED Headlights on USDM Fit :(