3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.
View Poll Results: What is your Transmission choice?
CVT
37.28%
6MT
62.72%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

CVT or 6MT Poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
CVT or 6MT Poll

With the discussion in another thread of the merits of CVT vs manual transmission, I was wondering, what is your transmission choice?

Honda will make fewer than 15% manual transmission Fits, but I have a feeling that more than 15% of those here would choose the manual.

So vote your choice even if you do not intend to immediately purchase your next Fit CVT or 6MT?

Old 04-20-2014, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
I have a feeling that more than 15% on here will pick the M/T. But I will be happy with the CVT.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TCroly
With the discussion in another thread....
A much needed thread. The M/T and A/T discussion was taking away from the original topic at hand.

Betcha you'll get over 35% from this forum wanting M/T. Should put a Vegas line on it!!!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Over on the CRZ forum, 63% of those purchasing a CRZ chose a 6MT.

I don't know the actual production split, but I know that was a far higher percentage of 6MT CRZs than Honda built.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
I am reserving judgment until I see a benchmark comparing the two. There should be no reason the 6MT should outperform the CVT in any measurable way.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by kobudo
.........There should be no reason the 6MT should outperform the CVT in any measurable way.
There is a good reason.

Go to your neighborhood Honda dealer and test drive a '14 Civic in both the M/T and CVT. I did that exercise last Jan. The CVT is definitely slower, at least up to 40mph. Unless the tranny for the GK is massively different in total design, I'm led to believe that the difference (at least in performance) would be similar to the Civic.

Then again, haven't driven the Fit CVT nor M/T either and no one (in this forum) other than "accordguyintake" (driven BOTH) has done so. From his review, there is a difference. He certainly prefers the manny tranny.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 04-21-2014 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
There is a good reason.

Go to your neighborhood Honda dealer and test drive a '14 Civic in both the M/T and CVT. I did that exercise last Jan. The CVT is definitely slower, at least up to 40mph. Unless the tranny for the GK is massively different in total design, I'm led to believe that the difference (at least in performance) would be similar to the Civic.

Then again, haven't driven the Fit CVT either and no one (in this forum) other than "accordguyintake" has done so. From his review, there is a difference. He certainly prefers the manny tranny.
That is quite disappointing from the standpoint of the CVT. I figured that with no delays due to gear changes, along with computer control over the trans, most autos are (generally) outperforming their manual counterparts these days. The 6AT in my 2012 Ecoboost F150 works very nicely. Not that Ford offered a stick in my truck...

Old 04-20-2014, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
These CVT's are not set up for performance.

They're set up for economy. Nothing more.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
With the discussion in another thread of the merits of CVT vs manual transmission, I was wondering, what is your transmission choice?

Honda will make fewer than 15% manual transmission Fits, but I have a feeling that more than 15% of those here would choose the manual.

So vote your choice even if you do not intend to immediately purchase your next Fit CVT or 6MT?
where did you get the info that Honda will produce only 15% manual transmission Fits? Doesn't match the ones I see for sale.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
where did you get the info that Honda will produce only 15% manual transmission Fits? Doesn't match the ones I see for sale.
If you do a search on cars.com for new 2013 fit, you will find 5590 for sale nationally. If you look at the number that are manuals, 725, this is 13%. I have looked at this percentage a few time through the years and it is usually between 10 and 15%. Only a sampling, but probably about right.

I can remember reading some car reviews for the fit where they have said something like 1 in 8 buyers will chose a manual equipped car. But I do not have that reference handy.

Please note that there are no 2015 6MT fits yet. It appears the factory has not begun producing any manual transmission cars yet.

Last edited by TCroly; 04-21-2014 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
These CVT's are not set up for performance.

They're set up for economy. Nothing more.
Still disappointing. You'd think that a CVT trans could be programmed to maximize economy while cruising along and maximize acceleration when you have to get on the gas pedal.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:15 AM
I, along with the majority of drivers in the U.S. I think, only drive auto. No interest in ever learning manual. Also, adding accessories to your Fit to change the look don't change the fact that it IS an economy car. That's why Honda redesigned for more broad appeal, because broad appeal and economy/commmuter are what it's intended for. But you can still have fun with it

Old 04-21-2014, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
I think the poll needs an "I don't know" option.

I'll test both if I'm able. However, I'm constrained by the need to get a car right away once we move, and I may not have the option of the manual if it's not yet available.

Since I'll be SR45's neighbor, and we've been going down there forever, I also know there's not much to be gained from a manual on essentially straight roads from stoplight to stoplight.

But I did have my heart set on a car with a manual, so...

Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Interesting reads…

Death Song For the Manual Transmission » Eric Peters Autos

“It’s not very practical; and the truth is it may not be good for you anymore, either”

Shifting Trends: Is the Manual Transmission Doomed? » AutoGuide.com News

Ratio of Automatics to Manuals in Australia

Ratio of Manual to Auto for Australian delivered cars

Polls on any forum is useless. Very, very small numbers of members. Not scientific

Old 04-21-2014, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Real life isn't an EPA test.

Whatever type of hardware it controls, no TCM can know what the driver sees ahead of the car and wants to happen in the future- it can only react to throttle and other sensor input. So while manufacturers are getting better at making ATs and CVTs that can "outperform" an MT in a scripted EPA test, no amount of "Sport" or "Econ" buttons can make it outperform one on the road.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
If you do a search on cars.com for new 2013 fit, you will find 5590 for sale nationally. If you look at the number that are manuals, 725, this is 13%. I have looked at this percentage a few time through the years and it is usually between 10 and 15%. Only a sampling, but probably about right.

I can remember reading some car reviews for the fit where they have said something like 1 in 8 buyers will chose a manual equipped car. But I do not have that reference handy.

Please note that there are no 2015 6MT fits yet. It appears the factory has not begun producing any manual transmission cars yet.
The market for the Fit is not the normal one for the US; The inadequate back seat room has defined its market as the young with only very youing chikdren, is at all. Its image is the sports car of the young buyers and thats not that low in manual sales. The CVT's superior mpg as well as convenience is its advantage.
Honda's inventory of new Fits is only a few thousand as expected by slowing sales and the records indicate about 60% of buyers purchase automatics. check AN inventory. CVT transmissions have an edge in mpg with less rpm at speed; the CVT though isn't much of a driver's car and the DC automatic popular in Europe is the only automatic that is superio in performance But the truth is the manual of yesterday is on its way out not because people wouldn't choose automatics, its because automatics have surpassed manuals in driver controls as any ride in a DC VW will demonstrate. And lap times rule.
That doesn't mean it will stay that way: the 2015 Fit has a very improved back seat room. Check the view in AN's report on the new Fit and as such will bring the Fit into full competition against the Versa for the young family market (which the Versa has dominated). Other improvements to the structre (although I'm not sure about that 'squeezed rear opening), suspension dynamics (though I remain one of those tearfully squashed by the change from double a arms to McP's), and Epa ratings improve to 33/41. All with little change in the bodywork.
I couldn't find the soutce for cars.com's stats so I really doubt that 15 % only buy manual trannies. And around here i'm the onkyauromatic Fit owner but then I'm old and slow.
cheers.

Last edited by mahout; 04-21-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Real life isn't an EPA test.

Whatever type of hardware it controls, no TCM can know what the driver sees ahead of the car and wants to happen in the future- it can only react to throttle and other sensor input. So while manufacturers are getting better at making ATs and CVTs that can "outperform" an MT in a scripted EPA test, no amount of "Sport" or "Econ" buttons can make it outperform one on the road.

'zactly.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SR45
Polls on any forum is useless. Very, very small numbers of members. Not scientific
Who said anything about it being scientific, though? It's a poll of this forum only; these forum polls are always skewed more to the manual side of the equation.

For those here who don't even know how even drive a manual, I hope you never get in an emergency where only a manny is available, or rent a car in Europe. You really don't know what you're missing.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:42 PM
manual = driving pleasure imo

Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
I am capable of operating a car with an automatic. I am not capable of calling that act "driving."

What automatics do to cars:

Quick Reply: CVT or 6MT Poll