3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2013 Fit vs. 2015 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
2013 Fit vs. 2015 Fit

Hi. I'm brand new to this forum. I started looking into getting a new car about a month ago to replace my 93 Honda Civic EX. The Honda Fit has become my main contender and I was happy to find this forum.

So now the question for me is whether to try to get a really good deal on the outgoing 2013 Fit or pay more for the 2015 Fit. The dealers and Honda's website are keeping things pretty secret, I'm guessing to try to sell the 2013's still remaining first. I'm curious about people's thoughts about how much better the 2015 will be. It definitely seems much more than merely cosmetic - reviews have been touting the new engine, transmission, suspension, and fuel economy, and it seems really great to me. But is is worth possibly an extra $1500 or more? - there seem to be some really good deals being offered now on the 2013's to clear them. I know it comes down to personal choice, but just curious if anyone has thoughts that might help me make this decision.

Thanks a lot for input. I'm really struggling with the decision. This would only be my 3rd car I've owned in 30 years!

Old 04-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by fitbuddha
. I'm brand new to this forum....whether...get a really good deal.....2013 Fit or pay more...2015 Fit.....how much better the 2015.. worth possibly an extra $1500 or more?.some really good deals ..on the 2013's to clear them....anyone has thoughts..struggling with the decision....
First, welcome to this great forum. If your like me, you'll learn much from what everyone is contributing from their personal views about all Honda Fits.

Struggle no further. Your on the right track. You've narrowed it down to a Fit. IMO, the unbeatable vehicle in the sub-compact category.

REad the thread on 2nd Gen Fits "How much did you pay...." and recent posts indicate that some guys are able to get their new '13 Fit Sports in the $15,000++ area. Those savings are not something to turn away from.

The 2015 may be new in many features but it retains its original purpose of the 2013 and all prior versions. If you think its worth the looks and the added features, got for it.

The savings on the '13 though, are too large to forgo. Its like getting the first year or two, of depreciation, for free. You won't get that with the GK. Most of them will be sold at MSRP or close to it.
Remember, the GE's are already proven, mechanically. The new GK's, well, its the first year, therefore no track record, yet, at least in NA!

Whichever you finally decide, you won't go wrong!!! Happy shopping and post your final decision.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
If you can score a deal on the '13 M/T that would be very hard to turn down. As the above poster said likely GK will be stuck at MSRP for a while. I think the original GD looks slightly dated now (but not bad), however the GE still looks just fine to me, maybe even better than GK (yeah that's highly opinionated.) If you're talking A/T vs CVT then that requires more thought perhaps.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by xorbe
.......talking A/T vs CVT then that requires more thought..............
Thought?

Nah, the only thing you'll get from further thinking is that both of the A/Ts are spelt differently.

If the OP is choosing between both generations, then a TEST DRIVE on both is the route to go!!!!

But on money alone, its got to be the GE!!!

Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
That's what I mean. The CVT is likely superior to the A/T so OP might want to spring for that. He'll have to test drive them, and consider.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Depends on if the added features and MPGs on the 2015 are worth the added cost and wait for you. Looks like you probably use a car for a while, so that's something to think seriously about! I would probably check both out if you can.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
I'd get the '13.

Get the last of that "Made in Japan" build quality.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
I sat in a '13 and a '15 today at the NY auto show. IMO there is no contest: '15 wins.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by exl500
I sat in a '13 and a '15 today at the NY auto show. IMO there is no contest: '15 wins.
That much different huh?
Local dealer has 2 2013 FiTs.
Sport for 16800
Navi for 18700
Was thinking of selling my 08 Sport with 110k miles and jumping on one of those.
Was dead set on a 6spd EX, but the savings on these was very tempting.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the great replies. Very helpful. Good point about the new model not having a track record (although I know Hondas are really reliable generally), plus the potential deals out there are hard to pass up. I'm comforted by Rottboy's enthusiasm for the Fit in general, and I agree that it seems like a fantastic car from what I've seen.

One thing that is making it difficult for me is that I'd like to get a manual transmission and, at least in my area (Portland, OR), the dealers just don't have them. I've been told that very few 2013 manuals remain and they'd have to track one down, plus that I'd have to sign a contract and have one shipped to the dealer, so test driving is not even an option. One dealer rep said that only one manual 2013 Honda Fit came through their lot all of last year! I've been told it will probably be similar for the 2015 in manual and these won't even arrive til months after the automatics. I've test driven the 2013 Fit with automatic transmission and liked it.

Well, I'm going to go back into the dealer when I get back to Portland next week. Hopefully one of the cash incentives will still be in place then. Thanks again for the replies. This forum is great.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
....Rottboy's enthusiasm for the Fit in general......One thing that is making it difficult...like to get a manual transmission...dealers just don't have them......track one down..............test driving is not even an option...............driven the 2013 Fit..automatic ...liked it.

......go back into the dealer....next week.............
Let me clarify, my enthusiasm was very recent only when I knew that my GD was due for replacement and the GK was introduced in Detroit last Dec.
It spiked in late March right after joining FF. Learned and am still learning from all the members in this great forum. My wife actually thinks I undergoing a 2nd childhood.

Have driven my A/T since new in '08. Continue to love it. Primary reasons I'm going into M/T is its #1 cheaper and #2 am not a CVT person as I prefer the A/T in my GD better. (peppier instantly when starting from a standstill whereas the CVT pulls but feels gradual rather than torquey)

The best deal you will get from your area dealers is what they have on their lots. They are there to unload their own stock, not other dealer's inventory. They will be willing to give you a super deal once you show them sincere interest.
Since you like the A/T, if you can live with it, I would definitely focus on that and forget the M/T altogether. Remember, down the road it's a much easier product to sell/trade-in than an M/T.

Don't fear going to other dealers too source and deal. When its time for service or warranty issues, no one will turn you down. They all get reimbursed from the mfg. so its all extra income anyways.

My suggestion:
- Choose 2 or three colors you can live with on a '13 Sport A/T
- (as posted in other threads) physically go to the dealer(s) and bring your checkbook no earlier than April 28. Target three dealers (check their inventory online or call them).
- See which one will deal for approx +/-$15,800 inclusive of Freight, prep and all dealer fees +TTL. My strategy would start low at $15,200 or less and let them work it up.
- Visit the dealer with the largest in-stock inventory first.
- If #1 says no, walk out and go to the next. I'll bet they won't let you walk. Why? Its end of the month, they're after the month-end sales targets, they know they will lose the business to the second dealer and they want to unload all the '13's possible. Some dealers will be so desperate, they will let the odd unit go for LESS then actual COST (its way less than invoice once you factor in holdbacks, volume discounts etc......).

When this exercise is done, you would have saved yourself close to, $3000 or more, from MSRP. Not impossible as its been done by a few members on FF.

Good luck and show us your negotiation skills. Post what happened. More importantly post pics if/when you scored the new wheels.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 04-22-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xorbe
That's what I mean. The CVT is likely superior to the A/T so OP might want to spring for that. He'll have to test drive them, and consider.
CVT superior to traditional AT? In terms of fuel economy, maybe. But in every other sense, hmmm... CVT's great, but .... just google it and you'll see.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
Awesome, thanks Rottboy for the suggestions! Especially about waiting until the end of the month to go to the dealers, plus the price target tips. One of the dealers I've been speaking with has been hinting at prices in that target area. I get back into town from my trip on the 28th, so I'll plan on visiting the dealers the next day.

I'm going to try for a M/T even if it means paying a few hundred more dollars. Like I said, I've only owned 2 cars in my life and the first was M/T which I really liked - just makes you feel more connected with the car and the road. But I'll be open to an A/T if that's all that's available or the price difference just becomes too great.

I'll definitely post the results of my efforts. Thanks again for the assistance and input. This forum and community make it all the more fun to own a Fit!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:23 PM
Awesome, thanks Rottboy for the suggestions! Especially about waiting until the end of the month to go to the dealers, plus the price target tips. One of the dealers I've been speaking with has been hinting at prices in that target area. I get back into town from my trip on the 28th, so I'll plan on visiting the dealers the next day.

I'm going to try for a M/T even if it means paying a few hundred more dollars. Like I said, I've only owned 2 cars in my life and the first was M/T which I really liked - just makes you feel more connected with the car and the road. But I'll be open to an A/T if that's all that's available or the price difference just becomes too great.

I'll definitely post the results of my efforts. Thanks again for the assistance and input. This forum and community make it all the more fun to own a Fit!
Personally, I think you'll be more happy with M/T if that's what you enjoyed in the past. I drove a 1991 Nissan Sentra up until late 2008, God rest that White Beast's soul, and the manual transmissions these days are such an improvement over what you have driven in the past. I purchased my Fit with an A/T, wife wanted it, and I couldn't be happier. However, I long for a M/T and after test driving it I would have gone with it any day over the A/T if it were just up to me.

I wish you lived in the St. Louis area, as we have a TON of deals I am seeing on the 2013 models. I bought mine exactly a year ago and paid $17,200 after delivery fees and such (not including tax). I did something very similar to what the prior poster suggested, only I started with an online quote. I went through edmunds.com and pitted dealers from a 250 mile radius against each other to find the best deal. I was originally quoted $18,200 as the lowest of all the St. Louis dealers, but when I mentioned the price I was quoted from Chicago they all came down. I was able to score a bunch of free add-on's too, such as floor mats, 3 free oil changes, free roadside assistance for the life of the car and so on. Not walking in and talking to a salesman was the BEST decision I made with my fit, as according to truecar.com I received the best price by around $300 for my Fit in my area. Shopping around is always the best option, but take the route you feel most comfortable with.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks zensah. I think there are probably a lot of deals on 2013 Fits going on here in Portland as well. The real obstacle I've come across has been my desire for a M/T. I need to really reflect on how important this is to me and balance that with how much I'm willing to pay extra, as it seems will be necessary since the Fits with M/T are so rare apparently.

I like your strategy of getting a wider geographic area of quotes to use for negotiating. I'm going to try this also. Thank you!

Old 04-24-2014, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
As much as I like the proven and reliable GE (second generation), and wary about the unknown Made in Mexico 2015 Fit, I would buy the new generation. It is reportedly safer due to higher rigidity and more extensive use of high-tensile steel. Also the crash design is almost a decade newer than the GE which began sales in 2006(early'07) in Japan.

I would also finally get the new one due to added features like the sunroof, rear view camera, and the side camera.

On a side note, does anyone know if new fit offers rear disk brakes?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031

On a side note, does anyone know if new fit offers rear disk brakes?
No rear disks on US fits. I think the JDM RS has rear disks.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks. I was hoping one GE weakness - modest braking performance, would be improved with the new Fit but oh well.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
[/QUOTE]
Nah, don't like direct injection, the styling, and the fact that it is made in mexico. In my experience so far, products that comes from mexico is not only of poor quality, but is not safe. The country is corrupt and drug ridden, there is no expectation of law or judicial system. New fit became a no-choice for me.

[/QUOTE]
As much as I like the proven and reliable GE (second generation), and wary about the unknown Made in Mexico 2015 Fit, I would buy the new generation. It is reportedly safer due to higher rigidity and more extensive use of high-tensile steel. Also the crash design is almost a decade newer than the GE which began sales in 2006(early'07) in Japan.
I would also finally get the new one due to added features like the sunroof, rear view camera, and the side camera.
Thanks. I was hoping one GE weakness - modest braking performance, would be improved with the new Fit but oh well.
You may still change you mind!!!

To finally convince yourself whether its true acceptability or total dislike, take that TEST DRIVE!!!!

With your previous experience of poor quality, "made in Mexico" products, nothing short of a physical "face to face" with a GK should be able to convince, not only you, but everyone else in making a substantiated objective conclusion.

Mexico won't change overnight. If its judicial system, political and social envirionment, are as corrupt and drug ridden as you state, how do these relate to the build quality of a vehicle?

Be patient. Hold off on making varying concluding thoughts. Your area dealer will have that demo ready for that drive soon enough. I, for one, look forward to all first-hand impressions. These reek of credibility!!!

As your household owns 2 GE's. You'll know exactly what to look for!!!

Old 04-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Personally, I too think the new model will be amazing and reliable regardless of being built in Mexico. Honda has a reputation to uphold, and I don't doubt the quality will be on par with the other Fit models built in Japan.

There is a pretty decent review on Youtube with a test drive of the new Fit. In that 13 minute review, the gentlemen discuss how much better the Fit performs in braking and how much less force you have to present to the brake pedal. This would be a great improvement, as that's really one of my gripes with the current Fit model. When I switch over to my wife's Accord, I just about break our necks by applying more force to the brake pedal the first push or two.

Quick Reply: 2013 Fit vs. 2015 Fit