3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Headed to Tahoe from SoCal. Hot, 101 degrees, running AC (#2 setting).
I'll take this mileage headed slightly uphill (about 5000 ft).

[IMG]http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Br...s/media/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20140628_163712_zps428b6bc1.jpg.html?sort=3&o= 0[/IMG]

F it. Cannot get this to paste properly. 42 mpg average for this leg.

Last edited by Brianflys; 06-29-2014 at 10:31 PM. Reason: paste error
Old 06-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Brianflys
Headed to Tahoe from SoCal. Hot, 101 degrees, running AC.............
42 MPG!!! With A/C on??? Uphill at that???

Heartily satisfying results. BTW, have a safe trip and enjoy our long weekend!!!

At least your owning and driving your Fit daily. In my case, my GD is gone tmrw. Will just keep looking at all the pics from all the new owners who're posting. Sadly, no trip for me (spent the money on add-ons) - just BBQ and lotsa BEER.

Originally Posted by tmfit
Any idea when yiurs will be in Rott?......got 42+ mikes last week on a highway drive. Feels good!
Nothing yet. Haven't called the dealer though cause, VIN or none, really doesn't matter cause knowing will just add to my frustration. Will patiently continue the wait.

In the meantime, its a joy observing the good feedback from all you current GK owners/drivers. My goal is too get EPA figures with regular driving (no hypermiling) and A/C on. That result will lessen the pain I will feel later today when my trusty '08 GD is gone from this household.

42 MPG??? Music to my ears!!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 06-30-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:20 AM
Any idea when yiurs will be in Rott?
I had also got 42+ mikes last week on a highway drive. Feels good!

Old 06-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Brianflys
Headed to Tahoe from SoCal. Hot, 101 degrees, running AC (#2 setting).
I'll take this mileage headed slightly uphill (about 5000 ft).

[IMG]http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Br...s/media/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20140628_163712_zps428b6bc1.jpg.html?sort=3&o= 0[/IMG]

F it. Cannot get this to paste properly. 42 mpg average for this leg.
May I ask your speed over this leg? I find I am getting great, above-40mpg mileage around 60mph, but if I take it to 70mph, I am lucky to get 33mpg.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:58 PM
I'll post more details later, but I will say that if you are going 70-75 mph, into a headwind, on rolling hills, on crappy Texas chipseal, you will get about 33 mpg.
Just spent the day driving from Clovis, NM to Austin. so tired.
I did get better mileage at lower speeds and with less wind. Today was just yuck...20 mph winds in our face pretty much the whole way.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit2tri
I'll post more details later, but I will say that if you are going 70-75 mph, into a headwind, on rolling hills, on crappy Texas chipseal, you will get about 33 mpg.
Just spent the day driving from Clovis, NM to Austin. so tired.
I did get better mileage at lower speeds and with less wind. Today was just yuck...20 mph winds in our face pretty much the whole way.
You hit on two significant variables that significantly impact fuel economy.

Headwinds or tailwinds can cause a 20-30% decrease or increase in fuel economy at a given speed.

The rolling resistance of the surface you are driving on also could have a notable difference to fuel economy.

So where one person may post that they got 40 MPG at 75mph someone else might only get 30 mpg at the same speed and both be accurate.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by TCroly
You hit on two significant variables that significantly impact fuel economy.

Headwinds or tailwinds can cause a 20-30% decrease or increase in fuel economy at a given speed.

The rolling resistance of the surface you are driving on also could have a notable difference to fuel economy.

So where one person may post that they got 40 MPG at 75mph someone else might only get 30 mpg at the same speed and both be accurate.
Definitely. I bike, and I know that chipseal will suck the life out of your legs and you can work much harder compared to smooth asphalt.
Same with the wind.

Going to fill it up in the morning, and can report back with some stats.
Saddest part...my baby is dirty! Trip to the carwash is also in order.
But she handled just fine. We had 2 bikes in the back for much of the trip. As comfortable as expected for this car. (I come from an Xterra...so don't have expectations of a luxury ride)

Old 06-30-2014, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Definitely. I bike, and I know that chipseal will suck the life out of your legs and you can work much harder compared to smooth asphalt.
Same with the wind.

Going to fill it up in the morning, and can report back with some stats.
Saddest part...my baby is dirty! Trip to the carwash is also in order.
But she handled just fine. We had 2 bikes in the back for much of the trip. As comfortable as expected for this car. (I come from an Xterra...so don't have expectations of a luxury ride)
You mention one more fuel economy impact factor. Since your bikes were "inside" your fit instead of on the roof or a bumper rack, you got much better fuel economy than you might have otherwise. Name another car that can swallow a couple bikes as easily as the FIT and get 30+ MPG.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
42 , not so bad . +

Last edited by Odie; 06-30-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by STL-zoom
May I ask your speed over this leg? I find I am getting great, above-40mpg mileage around 60mph, but if I take it to 70mph, I am lucky to get 33mpg.
Held 70 mph when possible. This was headed north on US 395, so there are some areas where you slow for communities or 2-lane traffic.

I'll report the return trip after I get back. And fix the photo link.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:12 AM
You mention one more fuel economy impact factor. Since your bikes were "inside" your fit instead of on the roof or a bumper rack, you got much better fuel economy than you might have otherwise. Name another car that can swallow a couple bikes as easily as the FIT and get 30+ MPG.
Definitely. Especially with the wind, we were very happy the bikes were inside.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:21 PM
OK....can't find one of my receipts. We travelled from Austin to New Mexico and back over a long weekend. Lots of highway miles. Lots of heat. Plenty of wind.

We actually travelled 1699.7 miles, but I have receipts for 1447.2 miles' worth. 38.451 gallons, for an overall average of 37.64 mpg. (car computer says 39 mpg for the whole 1699 miles....I doubt finding the other receipt is going to change the calculated average much.)

Most of that is highway driving: 65-75 mpg. The last day of travel, as mentioned above, was into the wind. AC on (generally on 2 or sometimes 3) all the time, except a couple of early mornings. MPG definitely decreased into the wind at 75 mph. As did driver comfort, but I would have not enjoyed my previous Xterra in the same conditions.

The Fit did quite well going up from Santa Rosa, NM (Route 66!) to Angel Fire, and then further up to Red River, NM.

With cruise control on, I feel like it revs the motor more to keep up the speed, esp in the wind and on hills, rather than my usually lighter feet.

Other comment (unrelated to fuel mileage) is that the front wedge shaped space between the hood and the dash got quite hot yesterday, driving across west Texas with full on sun and temps in the 90s. We turned the AC over to defrost mode to clear out some of the hot air once, which helped. I have light tint on the rest of the windows.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
First fuelup today.

Dealership fueled up the first tank, so I had no data, and I figure I'll start from when we fill up our vehicle.

I'm gonna try to be religious about filling this out each and every time we fill up for gas.

Putting the octane on there because every 5 or so fill-ups I plan on using higher octane gas. Unless you guys think that's silly.

Name:  NzvRoNU.png
Views: 593
Size:  13.5 KB

Old 07-01-2014, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Raziaar
First fuelup today.

Dealership fueled up the first tank, so I had no data, and I figure I'll start from when we fill up our vehicle.

I'm gonna try to be religious about filling this out each and every time we fill up for gas.

Putting the octane on there because every 5 or so fill-ups I plan on using higher octane gas. Unless you guys think that's silly.

Personally, I see no value in user higher octane gas on a now and then basis.

I would recommend going to fuelly.com and getting an account and tracking your fuel economy there. You then can put a link to your fuelly account in your signature.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Personally, I see no value in user higher octane gas on a now and then basis.

I would recommend going to fuelly.com and getting an account and tracking your fuel economy there. You then can put a link to your fuelly account in your signature.
It doesn't help clean out the engine a little more?

We only fill up at Chevron if we can help it, who have adopted Honda's Top Tier Detergent rating.

So maybe I don't even worry about the octane.

Also I tried adding the car to Fuelly but they don't have the 2015 honda fit on there?

Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 PM

Also I tried adding the car to Fuelly but they don't have the 2015 honda fit on there?
Yeah, you have to set it up under other. Hopefully when they add the category it pulls our files in.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
We want pics of gas mileage ! Possibly like this , Gas Mileage Picture thread ; Let it be shown ... - MirageForum.com , have the '11 and '13 FIT pics there . Was thinking of a MIRAGE , still pondering with the impressive gas mileage . Please

Last edited by Odie; 07-01-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Odie
We want pics of gas mileage ! Possibly like this , Gas Mileage Picture thread ; Let it be shown ... - MirageForum.com , have the '11 and '13 FIT pics there . Was thinking of a MIRAGE , still pondering with the impressive gas mileage . Please
I should have taken a pic on one of my short drives on the vacation trip last weekend. Coming downhill (mostly) about a 15 mile stretch from Red River, NM towards Angel Fire, the MPG "this drive" was 62.9.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
.........overall average of 37.64 mpg.....last day of travel, as mentioned above, was into the wind. AC on....
Credible real-world results for a significant 1k+ trip. Ya should be proud of your little Fit. Those EPA results did not take in wind and A/C on!!! Keep them results comin!!!

..gonna try to be religious about filling this out each and every time we fill up for gas.........
Will be following your mpg graph. Keep posting your fill-ups. Happy driving over the coming long weekend!!!

Old 07-02-2014, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
First fuelup today.

Do you have a smart phone? There are a ton of apps that make the logging of fuel fill-ups pretty easy and of course when you have the phone with you all the time, it's hard to forget.

I use Gas Cubby but have also used Fuelly before.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions