3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:11 AM
Yes, the 40.5 was RT mileage. I get about 28 on the drive up and make up the difference coming back downhill. Lots of fun taking the Fit through the windy bits of the road!

Old 05-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Numbers would, no doubt, fluctuate just as much, making them pretty much useless.
You don't really want instantaneous data for driving feedback. You want the data averaged over 30 seconds or a minute so that the throttle position of the moment won't cause rapid fluctuations.

It's all software, so it could be set up so you could input your desired averaging interval. Of course the tradeoff is that they would have to add a page to the manual to explain the setting. Since it's a "gee whiz" feature don't hold your breath for functionality.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:07 PM
sws
My average mileage is slowly creeping up. Now that I am off the highway and using most of my fuel capacity, it's a long time between fillups. That's a good thing.
I'm still not allowed to post pictures but when that gets turned on, I'll put up a shot of my Ultra Gauge mount. The placement is not perfect, it covers up my low temp light, but Water Temp is a selectable item on the gauge so nothing really lost.
The gauge has really pointed out how much fuel even a moderate acceleration gulps. Traffic permitting I hit the resume on the cruise control at 25 to 30. With the ECON button engaged it is just like having an ion drive. 0 to 60 in about a minute.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Try harder acceleration. You won't be burning that much more gas (check instant gph each way) while doing it, and it'll get you up to speed- and off the gas- that much sooner.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sws
The gauge has really pointed out how much fuel even a moderate acceleration gulps.
Right, and the same with any upward incline. Sometimes I don't realize the road is tilting up until I see the MPG drop a bit.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:55 AM
New Fit owner in China - base model CVT. I'm getting 7.0L/100km (wish they would just use MPG or km/L or something instead...), which is a bit less than 33 MPG so far. We christened it with a ~400 km round trip to and around my wife's hometown two days after picking it up, and we've put another 350 km or so on it around town since then, still just within our first month of ownership. Most of our driving, including (unfortunately) most of the highway driving to and from her hometown, has been moderate- to high-traffic, and our work commute is roughly 6 km and 8 stoplights each way.

33 MPG is a lot better than my last car (a '92 Delta 88 I bought for $600 in 2006 which then burned down to its frame an hour past Amarillo late that December), and it's good mileage for such a stop-and-go commute, but I can't help wondering if there might be some simple measures I can take to sneak that number up (MPG) or down (L/100km). Anyone have any good tips that might help me work on that (acknowledging in advance that I might not be able to follow them in the interest of safety, since the rules of the road here are essentially: "Drive like an escaped, but mostly-harmless mental patient, unless you're driving a bus, overloaded dump truck, or luxury sports car, in which case drive like an escaped, homicidal mental patient.")?

Old 05-28-2015, 05:23 AM
Fuel Mileage

6 spd EX Honda running Honda recommended fuel. This post is the truth. No BS. From the high desert of central Oregon, up and over the Cascade Range at Mt. Hood and then down into Portland. 50.1 MPG. No joke. I couldn't believe it. Did I have to work at it to get that number? Yes, absolutely. If you shift under 2,000 RPM the green indicator around the speedometer stays green. Also, if you go over 2,000 RPM it is amazing how just a little backing off of the accelerator (feathering) gets that light green again. I am so pleased. That number is hybrid competitive. I couldn't be happier. At highway speeds the little Fit settles in a gets incredible mileage at 70 mph. I don't know how Honda did it but Earth Dreams is correct. Honda knocked this out of the park. My my mileage in town, Portland Oregon, now averages 40 mpg because as I said above. I shift under 2,000 RPM and that light stays green. And the mileage is still incredible even driving Portland's hills. Bravo Honda. And yes, I get dirty looks by other drivers when I am in the city. But inevitably they've passed me annoyed I accelerate so slowly and then ... we meet at the next light and all their angst was for naught.

Last edited by troyinpdx; 05-28-2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by jukeboxx13
Im still only getting a combined 32 MPG with my 15 Fit.

Well see what happens this weekend when I take a nice lil trip to San Deigo.

I was getting the same, until I adjusted my driving habits to that green light around the speedometer. If you follow it religiously you will get 40 mpg in town. I got 50 mpg on a 300 mile trip this weekend, over a mountain range. It can be done but it requires slow acceleration, feathering of the gas pedal and an ability to ignore other drivers pissed off that you are accelerating so slow.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Right, and the same with any upward incline. Sometimes I don't realize the road is tilting up until I see the MPG drop a bit.
True. In order to get 40 mpg in town I have to drive less than moderate. Slow turtle like. But it can be done.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by TCroly
It is going to be interesting to see whether the CVT Fits can challenge the manual transmission cars for best real world fuel economy. For the GD and GE Fits, the manual equipped cars typically beat the automatics in the real world by 3 MPG or more.

The CVT CR-Z is rated at 4 more MPG than the manual, but the real world difference that we calculated on the CRZ Forum was that the CVT was about 0.5MPG better. But the CVT benifits, the hybrid recovery of power better than the manual. So I suspect the manual equipped Fits will still provide the best fuel economy.
My manual got 50 mpg on a 300 mile trip, over a mountain range at Mt Hood. I'm serious. It took work but I was able to do it. Once I learned the exact shift method to get it done I keep up the habit and I'm at 40 mpg in town. Proud I beat the CVT numbers.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:35 AM
sws, once you feel more comfortable with the Fit, you will find that you can actually improve fuel efficiency by not using the cruise control. Just remember this whole fuel efficiency thing has a learning curve associated with it. Don't expect to learn everything all at once. BTW, how's it coming with fixing your Fuelly badge? Once you get it fixed, we will be able to click on your badge and follow along with all your individual tank results. I also have the message at the bottom that states "You may not post attachments", but I can still post pics. Try it.

I'm well on my way to another pretty good tank. Now that the temps are consistently in the 50s - 70s, I can see how this Fit can really shine. Here's my latest screen shot as of this morning:

Old 05-28-2015, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Fat Dragon
Anyone have any good tips that might help me work on that (acknowledging in advance that I might not be able to follow them in the interest of safety, since the rules of the road here are essentially: "Drive like an escaped, but mostly-harmless mental patient, unless you're driving a bus, overloaded dump truck, or luxury sports car, in which case drive like an escaped, homicidal mental patient.")?
That's hilarious Dragon. I guess it would be hard to pull the high MPGs in those situations. It sounds like you can't drive slower and can't accelerate moderately, but if possible, try it. Also long coasts to stops really make a difference (i.e. stop lights, stop signs, etc). I'm not sure what you can get away with over there, but good luck. Just the fact that you want to improve your efficiency should help since the starting point for better fuel efficiency begins somewhere between the ears.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by troyinpdx
6 spd EX Honda running Honda recommended fuel. This post is the truth. No BS. From the high desert of central Oregon, up and over the Cascade Range at Mt. Hood and then down into Portland. 50.1 MPG. No joke. I couldn't believe it. Did I have to work at it to get that number? Yes, absolutely. If you shift under 2,000 RPM the green indicator around the speedometer stays green. Also, if you go over 2,000 RPM it is amazing how just a little backing off of the accelerator (feathering) gets that light green again. I am so pleased. That number is hybrid competitive. I couldn't be happier. At highway speeds the little Fit settles in a gets incredible mileage at 70 mph. I don't know how Honda did it but Earth Dreams is correct. Honda knocked this out of the park. My my mileage in town, Portland Oregon, now averages 40 mpg because as I said above. I shift under 2,000 RPM and that light stays green. And the mileage is still incredible even driving Portland's hills. Bravo Honda. And yes, I get dirty looks by other drivers when I am in the city. But inevitably they've passed me annoyed I accelerate so slowly and then ... we meet at the next light and all their angst was for naught.
I shut off the engine at lights I know are two minutes or longer.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
That's hilarious Dragon. I guess it would be hard to pull the high MPGs in those situations. It sounds like you can't drive slower and can't accelerate moderately, but if possible, try it. Also long coasts to stops really make a difference (i.e. stop lights, stop signs, etc). I'm not sure what you can get away with over there, but good luck. Just the fact that you want to improve your efficiency should help since the starting point for better fuel efficiency begins somewhere between the ears.
Slow acceleration, coasting stops, and I imagine steady speed in between is up there as well. I value all of these techniques as a driver, but I'm not very deliberate about them, so I could probably improve my habits quite a bit if I pay closer attention to this stuff. There's a lot that goes on on the roads here that makes me think I'm going to have a hard time enacting these policies, but I'll sign the bill now and worry about enforcement later.

Worst case scenario, 32 MPG in stop-and-go city traffic is still nothing to sneeze at.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:59 PM
Fuel consumption

Hi fit freaks,

I recently acquired a 1.3l 2008 fit. My issue is that it says that the car is doing 12.8 - 12.9 km/l. This is really worrying me as I knew that I should be getting about 20 - 24 km/l. What could be the problem & solution?

Old 05-29-2015, 04:50 AM
Originally Posted by King_Kang
Hi fit freaks,

I recently acquired a 1.3l 2008 fit. My issue is that it says that the car is doing 12.8 - 12.9 km/l. This is really worrying me as I knew that I should be getting about 20 - 24 km/l. What could be the problem & solution?

My little experience in Kenya was bad roads and worse traffic - not to mention beautiful nature and wonderful people (as well as not-so-wonderful people). Both of those contribute to poor fuel efficiency. Also, a seven year old car won't have the same fuel efficiency as it did when it was new unless it's been maintained extremely well in those seven years. You can probably adjust your driving and maybe make a few tweaks to the car itself to get better efficiency (though if most of your driving is in Nairobi city traffic, maybe not much better), but those 20-24 km/l numbers are probably a pipe dream, so don't get too fixated on them.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:26 AM
I also shut the engine down at stop lights. And neutral coasting has a huge impact. And since my driveway is sloped, I back out of the garage without the engine running, just need to give it a slight push with one foot out the door to get it going. But again, probably the most important is keeping my speed down on the freeway, I shoot for 50mph, this may not be possible for everyone though.

Last edited by GoBucky; 05-29-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Conditions dictate what you can do, and if you can't conserve momentum you can't complain that the car burns more gas than you'd like.

I'm guessing that anyone would be proud of getting 32 mpg in urban China.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Fat Dragon
My little experience in Kenya was bad roads and worse traffic - not to mention beautiful nature and wonderful people (as well as not-so-wonderful people). Both of those contribute to poor fuel efficiency. Also, a seven year old car won't have the same fuel efficiency as it did when it was new unless it's been maintained extremely well in those seven years. You can probably adjust your driving and maybe make a few tweaks to the car itself to get better efficiency (though if most of your driving is in Nairobi city traffic, maybe not much better), but those 20-24 km/l numbers are probably a pipe dream, so don't get too fixated on them.
The roads are not a walk in the park but I'm sure they are much better than you remember...the major roads, that is. I'm not targeting the 23, but I have a 1.5l impreza that does 16 to the litre, so I expected the fit to do better.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:16 AM
My LX CVT is getting 42 mpg on this tank of fuel. My driving is mostly around town plus my daily 5 mile drive to work on the highway. So Im very impressed!

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions