3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dogs and the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Dogs and the Fit

So where are my dog folks on the forum?

I have to Shiba Inu's and a big part of the decision to get this car is because of them.

but going from leather seats to cloth... I can already see the fur and vacuuming needed to keep the Fit clean.

will you guys be using a car carrier or just let them roam around the cabin?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:42 PM
I have a terrier mix roamer (with seat belt clip latch) but am going to buy seat covers. She is also black so....hoping a lot won't show.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 PM
I have a black lab/ collie mix. She's about the size of an Australian Shepherd.

She's black as well, but I've got a beach towel ready to throw over the seats. She likes to lean on something so I plan on just having her in the back seats without them folded down.
She doesn't shed all that much too. Hopefully a quick vacuum and a wipe down will keep up with it.

Last edited by christina42; 06-30-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
We have 2 medium sized, mixed breed rescue dogs and they travel in a crate. I cut out a piece of poster board the same size as the end of the kennel, and took that and a tape measure when we first started looking about a month ago. We would position the front seats and then check the back seat to see if the kennel would fit. The salesman thought we were nuts until we explained what we were doing. We started out looking at a civic and the salesman is the one who suggested we take a look at the Fit. After checking out the inside space we were hooked. Now we just need to find a white one and we'll bring it home.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Hello....My first time posting here. Am hoping to be getting a fit in a few months. Still waiting for a dealer to get in a MT so I can test drive. I have a Golden Retriever and she has always been crated.....riding outside of the crate makes her nervous, and it is much safer in case of an accident.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator
My household has always had 2 rotties at a time. When my big boy was still around, he and the girl always loved riding the GD (gone today at 1pm).

No crates, just put up the back seat and they literally walk in. Of course, the back seat area has a cover to prevent/minimize that "doggie" smell. That add-on will be inherited by the incoming GK!!!

We're actually looking for a new canine and have settled on a PWD. It will be our first but we figure that after 7 pairs of Rotts its time for a change. Minimal shedding and hypo-allergenic will make the wife very happy!!!

Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 PM
My pups are the reason that I bought my 2015 Fit. I have two Pomeranians. The girl, Bruiser, gets car sick. My sister has a 2008 Fit, and the only time Bruiser didn't get sick was in my sister's car, with the seats in "tall mode." This way, she's on the ground. And as a bonus, the fur pretty much stays on the floor, so if I want to have a passenger in the back before I can vacuum my car, there isn't too much fur on the seats.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:14 AM
Leather for dogs

I am looking at getting a Fit. I have 2 large dogs (both Shepard mix) and it will be my car and their car. I was satisfied with all the options and features of the LX but my wife is insisting we get a one with leather because of the dogs (I have given up trying to clean my cloth minivan). So now I have to pony up another $3500 for the EX-L. The price of keeping the dogs and the wife happy!
Unless I could get some good seat covers the keep the dog hair (one of my dog is a shed machine) out of the cloth. Any suggestion?

Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by Ocanler
I am looking at getting a Fit. I have 2 large dogs (both Shepard mix) and it will be my car and their car. I was satisfied with all the options and features of the LX but my wife is insisting we get a one with leather because of the dogs (I have given up trying to clean my cloth minivan). So now I have to pony up another $3500 for the EX-L. The price of keeping the dogs and the wife happy!
Unless I could get some good seat covers the keep the dog hair (one of my dog is a shed machine) out of the cloth. Any suggestion?
we have leather in the TSX now, its great for fur management.

but i think any seat cover would do! I think there is even one that is OEM from Honda for the FIT.

but these ones look great! if you were looking to pony up 3500, then 350 is cheap! I'm sure you can find them to make it for the FIT too.

1999-2014 Chevy Silverado Dog Seat Covers - Canine Covers [PATTERN]GY - Canine Covers Custom Canvas Seat Covers

Old 07-02-2014, 01:39 AM
ptt
5 Year Member
See this thread: best dog hair resistant seat covers for 2013

My two Shepherd mixes will be in the back with the rear seats down. I am thinking of making a cargo area liner out of 78" wide vinyl coated polyester. I think three yards will be plenty. Straps to wrap around the front seats headrests, a few snaps, and some velcro on the underside of the cargo cover rails. I'm guessing it will look pretty cheesy though.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:36 AM
in japan, cars and dog owners seem to be a big thing!

they even market it for dog owners.

my wife found the below link, for the Japanese readers, maybe more information to share. but they have the GK, and the dims for dog carrying and stuff. its really cool!

Honda Dogb񂱂ɂ₳N}bFIT HYBRID

Old 07-08-2014, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
I have a red-haired Shiba puppy and i'm afraid of all the shedding he is going to do inside the Fit (I have an EX w/ cloth seats).

until the Clazzio covers become available, I am considering getting the OEM backseat covers. otherwise, I will fold the rear seats up and have my pup sit on the floor in the back

Old 07-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Tofushop, your Shiba-inu will love it in the back with the seats up. It will provide her tons of room to move around.

Think of my rotts in the same back area. They both fitted will in my old GD but with the GK's 4" more, they'll love it!!! (Correction: our one girl will - my big boy has gone to dog heaven last Aug.).

Old 07-08-2014, 02:18 PM
my Takumi would like to say Hello to all owners that love dogs and cars.

currently i have this for my two shibas

Car-Go Pop-up Shelter | Sturdi Products

got it at the dog show, saved my Shiba when my wife got into an accident with a popped tire on the freeway and send the car spinning and hitting the center divide. It is a soft cage; easy to use. It confines a safe area for the dogs while travelling, and keeps hair to a minimum in the car cabin.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
thanks Rottboy, that's awesome news. i eyeballed it at the dealership, and i figured it would be plenty of space

cute Shiba ET! mine is named Hachi. and ironically, my AIM s/n is FujiwaraTofuShop and my IG is TofuShop

Old 07-30-2023, 03:15 PM
Talking Muppy's Fit !

I just bought a "new to me" Honda Fit 2015 for my personal trainer. Registered in my name as Hawaii will not let a canine register a car. WT? My border collie is my personal trainer and swim coach. He insists that I take him on runs in the AM, swims at the beach and to agility. It was time to move up from my 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback which I will miss. The Fit will be big enough for his agility equipment. I realize you asked this question in 2014 and it is now 2023! But I was looking up "honda fit " "dog" and came across this. Delighted to see that others bought their cars for their dogs. To answer your question:

He will be tied up securely (unless in a crate) and my future puppy will be in a crate. I am very big on safety and my dogs are not allowed to roam freely in the car for their and my safety. I tie down the agility equipment (jump bags, etc). I use heavy, washable floor mats and an "outdoor" rug that is sturdy and with good traction for Muppy to stand on. I also will be putting in a barrier across the back of the front seats to keep him safely behind me. Today is my big "moving day" into the Fit from the Civic HB and I am excited to be outfitting it for my boy. My 1999 Civic is very simple and I am busy reading the manual and learning about the "whistles and bells" of the Fit so these forums will be very helpful! Simple things like unlocking and locking the doors, for example are more complicated now.

BTW just noticed that there is no "doggy" icon!

Here is the REAL owner of the car: Kealolo's Kolohe Muppet of Camelot FDC, TKP, VHMA VSWI

Originally Posted by ETFitRS
So where are my dog folks on the forum?

I have to Shiba Inu's and a big part of the decision to get this car is because of them.

but going from leather seats to cloth... I can already see the fur and vacuuming needed to keep the Fit clean.

will you guys be using a car carrier or just let them roam around the cabin?

Old 08-04-2023, 09:40 PM
Im glad that you revived this thread, HawaiiWahine! I also bought the Fit for my dog and I refer to it as his car as well. I was planning on buying a new car a few months later but ended up moving my timeline and changing my price point and goals for the new car in order to accommodate my senior boy. Radar is an 11 year old lab mix and LOVES his car. Rosie, a bichon mix, is fine with the Fit but disappointed that she didnt get the air conditioned seats I promised her. Rosie sits up front in the passenger seat and Radar gets the back seat with the seats flipped up all to himself. I added foam to the footwells and a dog bed that takes up nearly all of the space back there so that he has a soft, flat surface to sit and lay down on. I plan on keeping the fit until it dies. I also had remote start added aftermarket so that I can keep the car running in the heat when the dogs are with me while running errands or traveling. With that and the leather seats, the Fit EX-L is the ultimate dog car.