3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.
View Poll Results: Install left side blind spot camera?
Build it with camera and LCD parts
8.82%
Get a LaneWatch mirror from a country where they drive on the left of the road
44.12%
Don't do it
47.06%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Blind spot camera on LEFT mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Blind spot camera on LEFT mirror?

I've had my EX-L for less than four days and I am already addicted to the LaneWatch camera. Traffic is hell in the Washington, D.C. area so I pretty much leave it on all the time when on a multi-lane road and I find it extremely helpful. I am comfortable solely relying on it instead of the mirror due to its clarity and wider view. It even shows cars behind me.

If only I had a blind spot camera on the left, I would have complete 360 degree awareness with the windshield, rear view mirror, and blind spot cameras on both sides. This is my dream.

I see three options
1. Build my own with a backup camera and LCD
2. Acquire the LaneWatch mirror from a country where the steering wheel is on the right, connect to an LCD
3. Don't install a left blind spot mirror. Just turn your head.

People install their own backup cameras all the time so I think I could do the same, but just mount the camera to the bottom of the left mirror. This camera I found is tiny and waterproof, and works with the LCD (image is properly flipped).

$21 backup camera $21 backup camera

$24 5" LCD $24 5" LCD

Not exactly sure where the LCD could be mounted, somewhere to the left of the steering wheel.

Does anybody know where I could acquire a replacement mirror with a LaneWatch camera, from a country where the drive on the left side of the road? I am assuming those countries have the LaneWatch camera on the left. It would be more expensive, but would look nicer. I do not know how I could verify that the LaneWatch camera has an RCA video output to connect to a cheap LCD.

What do you guys think? Does anybody else love LaneWatch so much that they want a left side one too? I think I am going to try and build one with the $45 parts and see how that goes. I think the hardest part will be taking apart the driver side mirror to run the RCA video cable.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
using OEM JDM lanewatch would be the cleanest option, assuming it is RCA and the stock screen has additional inputs. or maybe use a splitter?

I liked the lanewatch during my test drive. thought it was pretty nifty

Old 07-17-2014, 11:21 AM
I think it would be dangerous to look right at the stock screen, while merging left, because then you would still have a blind spot directly to your left. I want two LaneWatch displays, by mounting a 2nd 5" LCD to the left of my steering wheel. 5" is smaller than the stock 7" touchscreen, but because it is closer it would probably appear to be a similar size.

I forgot to mention that I would also take apart the shift lever and patch into the LaneWatch switch so that I would activate both LCDs at the same time. I want to be able to turn them both off when on a two lane road because I find the moving image distracting when there is no possibility of changing lanes.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:47 AM
K I found the Honda part for the LaneWatch camera, from a Civic, and it is $200 to $300 for just the camera, not including the mirror housing. So F that. That's too much money to spend when I don't even know if the video signal is compatible with an LCD that has RCA input. The $21 camera I found seems to have comparable quality and is very tiny.

36580-T2A-A01. Honda. CAMERA ASSEMBLY, LANEWATCH.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Will be interesting to see if the display has the additional input for the camera.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
Will be interesting to see if the display has the additional input for the camera.
The plan is to ADD A SECOND DISPLAY so that both blind spot cameras can be viewed simultaneously, and so the driver is facing the same direction as the lane he is attempting to merge into, to avoid the situation where a driver is looking right and merging left.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Hey. I was wondering what you ended up doing regarding the camera for the left driver side mirror. This sounds like a really useful modification to do, since a lot of people say that the driver side mirrors' 1/3 convex functionality isn't all that great compared to, say, Ford's mirrors.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:19 PM
What would a lanewatch camera on the left show you that the standard mirror does not? The reason that lanewatch works on the right is that the mirror is so far from the driver that his field of vision is limited.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Adjust your left mirror such that you have to move your head to the left about a foot to see the side of your car. You'll have your blind spot covered.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Adjust your left mirror such that you have to move your head to the left about a foot to see the side of your car. You'll have your blind spot covered.
That is just too complicated Fitmo, people come to this forum for help, not to be smothered in a bunch of technospeak. Come on!

Last edited by Vanguard; 11-21-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Simon, don't waste your time with trying to integrate into the head unit. It is not an RCA signal. It is digitally "paired" with the head unit, that's why the cost is so high. It is a 6 pin connector. A complete pain in the balls to route wires through that rubber grommet through the firewall. As others have said, this is where you use the drivers Ed skills by doing a head check.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
My Fiesta had a better built in left blind spot mirror. I may add a bubble mirror or semi bubble for added view and see how that works.

Love that right side camera too.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
That is just too complicated Fitmo, people come to this forum for help, not to be smothered in a bunch of technospeak. Come on!
LOL. The proper way to set the left mirror is - Lean you head against the window and adjust mirror so you can just see edge of your car. Voila. Try it. You will like it.

For right hand one lean as far to right as you can and adjust so you can just see the edge of car.

And still do shoulder check.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:57 AM
I was convinced not to cut into my new car so I abandoned this project. Also I never thought of a good place to the left of the steering wheel to mount the LCD.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
LOL. The proper way to set the left mirror is - Lean you head against the window and adjust mirror so you can just see edge of your car. Voila. Try it. You will like it.

For right hand one lean as far to right as you can and adjust so you can just see the edge of car.

And still do shoulder check.
I've tried that and just don't care for it. Most likely from my habit of having the mirror as I'm used to. In any case, I give up and am just going to buy a blind spot mirror for that side. They've served me well in the past and the Fit blind spot angle is just not enough for me. No biggie.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Although I feel I'm beating this issue to death, I did get a 2" round blind spot mirror that rotates 360 degrees so you can angle exactly as you like. WOW! I LOVE it! I can see cars quickly even 2 lanes over. I loved it so much I bought one for the right mirror too because I could see the curb and whole side of my car down low that the camera does not pick up. I can even see both parking lines when I'm parked in a parking lot. I can see if my crazy dog is near the sides of my car when I pull out of the garage. I can see!

Old 11-25-2014, 01:50 AM
That's just silly.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:37 AM
Go all out and get some oculus googles. Then attach a camera on a long poll so you can drive video game style!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo

I just learned this in my AARP driving class (yeah, I'm almost 60) and it really does work. I always used to have the mirrors adjusted the old-fashioned way.

Edit: And I see Black3SR posted this too. It's really a great change.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
I just learned this in my AARP driving class (yeah, I'm almost 60) and it really does work. I always used to have the mirrors adjusted the old-fashioned way.

Edit: And I see Black3SR posted this too. It's really a great change.
Ah, so that is where you have been since the 18th! I miss seeing your "pearls of wisdom" on the forum! I did not know AARP offered driving classes. Or, is that only in Florida (not saying Florida drivers need it more than others, but I do have memories of driving in Florida during the season)?

My wife has alway's adjusted her mirrors the AARP way, and scolds me constantly for my desire to see the side of my car, while driving. Finally, I just gave in, as i do with most things with her.

Quick Reply: Blind spot camera on LEFT mirror?