3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Honda Fit Buying Advice from a Honda Salesperson

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
2015 Honda Fit Buying Advice from a Honda Salesperson

Hello fello FitFreaks,

I am a previous owner of a 2011 Honda Fit Sport, who recently got a job working at a Honda dealer in NJ. I also held sales positions on both an Acura dealer and, most recently, a top ten nationwide Lexus dealer. I've been a Honda fan for years and when the opportunity came up to work at one of the best Honda dealership based on customer service, I made the jump and Im very happy I did.

The release of the 2015 Fit has been very exciting and also frustrating, with the delays that we have experienced. My dealership, Mahwah Honda in NJ, has also seen delays of the new Fit, but also have seen some trickle in here and there.

We typically get two or three Fits at a time, and are normally sold within 24 hours. Every dealer has had people come in all Summer looking for the new Fit. By the time one arrives to our dealership that was not reserved or special ordered, every salesperson is calling their list of customers who was looking for one. The first customer that comes in always ends up buying it. It's as simple as that.

So here is my advice to those looking to buy a new Fit:

1. Deposit on an in-transit model: If you have already decided to buy a 2015 Fit, go to your previous or local Honda dealership and put a deposit on one that's in-transit. Every dealership has a list of Fits that have been allocated to them, with estimated dates on arrival. Just keep in mind that estimated really just guarantees that the dealer is receiving said car, not that there is an exact time of arrival.

You may be waiting a few weeks or a few months, depending on the car you selected.

2. Special Order: most dealerships should have the option of placing a special order, which simply means they can tell the factory which trim and color you want, which is reserved as soon as its off the assembly line. A typical Honda special order usually takes about two months to arrive, with the 2015 being a bit longer.

3. Price: every dealership is selling the new Fits for MSRP or higher. There are two reasons for this. The first is that its a new model and the low availability. But more than that, the mark up from invoice to MSRP on the Fits is less than $1000. Look at the example below:

2015 Honda Fit LX with CVT

MSRP = $17,115

Invoice = $16,685

As you can see, the difference is only $430. So if a dealer offers you MSRP, based on the information above, it's more than a fair deal. And here's some food for thought. Honda wants the Fit to eventually surpass the Civic in annual sales. This is one of the main reasons why they have priced the Fit as so.

So if you can find a dealer that will sell you a Fit for MSRP and nothing more, that's a good deal. Anything less than MSRP would be gravy.

4. Dealer Fees: other than price, the only additional expenses should be state taxes and fees, plus dealership Doc fee. Now, plenty of dealers out there have other fees they try to include on a deal. Vehicle prep fee, internet fee, marketing fee, license plate holder free (I kid you not), window ething, etc. You are not responsible to pay these fees. I'm very fortunate to work for a dealership that does not play games like this, but many do.

Here's something to keep in mind. All dealerships buy their inventory from Honda for the same price, which means they can all sell them for the same price.

Some dealerships will give you lower prices than others, but they are excluding fees that they will charge you once you arrive. One of our local competitors always quotes prices excluding destination fee. Customers come in and tell me that they received a price cheaper than mine, which I reply with a," was their price $790 cheaper?"

They look at me surprised and say," how did you know?"

I simply explained to them what other dealers do and show them the exact number on the window sticker. Some dealers use this tactic, taking a chance that the customer wont leave after being explained this when they arrive, while others will get up and go.

Always be clear with what you are paying for.

These are just a few things tips for those looking into a new Fit. If you have an additional question, which was not addressed above, feel free to ask below and I'll answer it as soon as I can.

Update:

Deposits

I have seen a lot of members have issues with the deposit at their local Honda dealers, so I'm going into a little more detail when it comes to this subject.

First, you need a completed Buyer's Order, which should include the following information:

Name
Date
Address
Phone Number
Email
Year, Make and Model of vehicle
Trim
Color
VIN#
MSRP and/or agreed upon Selling Price

Let's elaborate a bit more. If the vehicle is in transit, then the dealership has a VIN#, but not necessarily a stock # (usually assigned when the vehicle arrives at the dealership).

They do not need a SS#. However, keep in mind that even if you are paying cash, the dealership still needs your SS# for Motor Vehicle purposes (it's a Federal requirement).

They do not need your license when putting a deposit, but will need it when you finalize the purchase. With that being said, that dealership's policy might require it. Every place is different.

Just signing a Deposit Slip is not enough. You need a Buyer's Order with all the information above. Think about it this way. When you go to Gamestop to reserve a new game console, they will ask you for the information above. A car is a much more expensive purchase. At the same time, you want to have a Buyer's Order with all this info to protect your deposit as well.

And make sure it has a manager's signature on the Order itself.

Note: a Special Order is different from a deposit on a vehicle that's in-transit. In this case they would not be able to give you a VIN#, since the vehicle has not been manufactured.

Also, each dealership might have their own policies and forms they use for a deposit. Regardless, they all should provide you with a Buyer's Order. If not, request it. If they refuse, then move on to the next dealer.

Best of luck!!

Update: 9/19/14

If any members are shopping around the country for a Fit and have any questions about their current buying process, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by HondaGeek; 09-19-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Purchased mine under msrp....it can be done....

Old 08-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the insight Hondageek! My dealer had said there was only about $900 to move. What about holdback, does Honda do that. GM used Tok have like a 3% holdback that the dealer would get after the sale. I find it hard to believe that a dealership can live on a $1000 markup per car. Just thoughts.

Last edited by tmfit; 08-08-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mike Houser
Purchased mine under msrp....it can be done....
Yes. It can be done, of course. Each dealership is different and varies by region. Just like some around me are charging over MSRP.

Congrats on the new Fit.

What color did you get?

Old 08-08-2014, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tmfit
Thanks for the insight Hondageek! My dealer had said there was only about $900 to move. What about holdback, does Honda do that. GM used Tok have like a 3% holdback that the dealer would get after the sale. I find it hard to believe that a dealership can live on a $1000 markup per car. Just thoughts.
Honda does holdback, but its not 3%. It something around five hundred bucks or less, depending on model. Ford and GM run things much differently.

Most dealership's main income comes from their service department. They could sell every car at invoice and still run a business. But you have different models and different incentives. While a Fit LX is about a $450 mark up, a Civic LX is about $1400, an Accord around $2K.

It's really about moving units. Each dealership is given a goal by the manufacturer and if they hit it they get a bonus from reaching that goal. Since you can find prices and cost for a new car online, its changed the business from gross profit to a more unit driven business.

At the end of the day, the deal agreed upon has to be fair to both parties. Just my thoughts.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by HondaGeek
Yes. It can be done, of course. Each dealership is different and varies by region. Just like some around me are charging over MSRP.

Congrats on the new Fit.

What color did you get?
Red ex..18000 out the door..all fees..sales tax included..still not,really sure how,they did it.. Lol

Old 08-08-2014, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Red ex..18000 out the door..all fees..sales tax included..still not,really sure how,they did it.. Lol
That's pretty cool. The GK looks really good in Milano Red. What car did you replace?

Old 08-08-2014, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Where I bought mine the Fits were going fast and all they had were the higher end CVTs. I ordered a M/T that was in transit. Still took 2 weeks to get there. VERY happy with the car.

Thanks for the dealership sales inputs.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:51 AM
That's pretty cool. The GK looks really good in Milano Red. What car did you replace?

Old 2003 f150... I think I might be able to save some gas... Lol

Old 08-09-2014, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Old 2003 f150... I think I might be able to save some gas... Lol
Wow. Big change of shoes there. Is this your first Honda?

Old 08-09-2014, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robot
Where I bought mine the Fits were going fast and all they had were the higher end CVTs. I ordered a M/T that was in transit. Still took 2 weeks to get there. VERY happy with the car.

Thanks for the dealership sales inputs.
Your most welcome. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:44 AM
For the OP and anyone else who's going to be setting foot on a car lot anytime soon,

If you haven't heard it - This American Life's episode on car dealerships is pretty great. I actually have quite a bit more sympathy for car salespeople after having heard this! Had no idea so much of the game was relying on that bonus from the manufacturer at the end of the day...

129 Cars | This American Life

Old 08-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Wow. Big change of shoes there. Is this your first Honda?
Not at all.....a new one before and a couple of used ones over the years....

Old 08-09-2014, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LoRezSkyline
For the OP and anyone else who's going to be setting foot on a car lot anytime soon,

If you haven't heard it - This American Life's episode on car dealerships is pretty great. I actually have quite a bit more sympathy for car salespeople after having heard this! Had no idea so much of the game was relying on that bonus from the manufacturer at the end of the day...

129 Cars | This American Life
The life of car salesperson is not all peaches and cream. Like any retail job, you get customers that are cool and some with unrealistic expectations. Even if you are an honest salesperson, you are already branded a liar, which can be frustrating.

I recall one particular customer who I could have told him the grass is green and shown him, but he would not believe anything I shared with him. But then you get cool customers who appreciate being treated with honesty and integrity, who end up being longtime friends.

The key thing for me, as a salesperson, is to work in a place that supports you and treats you with respect. Heck, that should be key in all jobs. There's a saying my job that goes like this. "You can say anything to a customer, as long as its true".

But back to your linked story. It's true. If a dealership or salesperson does not hit their monthly goals, the ink will be red. Doesn't matter if its a luxury dealer or not (and I have experience working with both).

I'm just here trying to make it easier for everyone else.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Hello fello FitFreaks,

I am a previous owner of a 2011 Honda Fit Sport, who recently got a job working at a Honda dealer in NJ. I also held sales positions on both an Acura dealer and, most recently, a top ten nationwide Lexus dealer. I've been a Honda fan for years and when the opportunity came up to work at one of the best Honda dealership based on customer service, I made the jump and Im very happy I did.

The release of the 2015 Fit has been very exciting and also frustrating, with the delays that we have experienced. My dealership, Mahwah Honda in NJ, has also seen delays of the new Fit, but also have seen some trickle in here and there.
Thanks. This has been my experience exactly. Without a deposit, you don't exist. With a deposit, you have no idea how long you'll have to wait. Getting the deposit refunded can be a challenge, despite what they tell you at the time they take it.

After waiting, calling, and searching for four months, I got two Fits three days apart, one in NH and one a bit closer in NY. Wonderful cars.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
It's not the sales guys I worry about but the finance managers these days

Old 08-09-2014, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Thanks. This has been my experience exactly. Without a deposit, you don't exist. With a deposit, you have no idea how long you'll have to wait. Getting the deposit refunded can be a challenge, despite what they tell you at the time they take it.

After waiting, calling, and searching for four months, I got two Fits three days apart, one in NH and one a bit closer in NY. Wonderful cars.

Yes. It's not so much that you don't exist. But if you want a car and don't reserve it, someone else will. You will possibly be waiting a long time if you don't reserve the car you want.

It's like when a new Xbox or PS comes out. The people who put their reservations early are guaranteed to get a new console at arrival, while everyone else is left hunting all over their state and the internet for one.

If you can guarantee something you want, it just makes sense to reserve it. It will save you time, aggravation and gas money.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vaguba
It's not the sales guys I worry about but the finance managers these days
It really comes down to how the dealership is run and it starts all the way at the top with the owner and management. Many dealers work to maximize profit anyway they can, like charging prep fees, marketing fees and so on. Other dealerships treat their customers with honesty and integrity and do the right thing by advising the customer vs telling them what they need.

My dealership, for example, if we collect too much for Motor Vehicles, we give the customer back a check for the difference when they come pick up their plates. They all have this shocked face due to the fact that we are giving them money back. Some places would just keep it.

I wise man once told me," a crook sells you what they want, but a salesperson sells you what you need".

Old 08-09-2014, 04:38 PM
I worked in sales before, but I didn't get paid by commission. It's a lot less stressful on a customer when they know that you don't get a commission for a sale. Buying a car should be like buying a washing machine at Lowes. The price of the washing machine is $500. No matter what Lowes you shop at either New York or Hawaii, the price is $500. It doesn't matter if it's the most popular washing machine and in low supply the price is still $500. But buying a car is not like this. That's why we have threads comparing everyone's purchase price.

Bottom line is the salesman is there to make money for both him and the dealership. Posting your tips on buying a Fit is nice but you also started a thread on how many Fits you have at you dealership. I've seen this done on other forums before. A salesman posts up some threads to try to gain some free advertisement.

I'm not attacking you. I don't know you. I'm just stating my 2 cents.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SHIBA
I worked in sales before, but I didn't get paid by commission. It's a lot less stressful on a customer when they know that you don't get a commission for a sale. Buying a car should be like buying a washing machine at Lowes. The price of the washing machine is $500. No matter what Lowes you shop at either New York or Hawaii, the price is $500. It doesn't matter if it's the most popular washing machine and in low supply the price is still $500. But buying a car is not like this. That's why we have threads comparing everyone's purchase price.

Bottom line is the salesman is there to make money for both him and the dealership. Posting your tips on buying a Fit is nice but you also started a thread on how many Fits you have at you dealership. I've seen this done on other forums before. A salesman posts up some threads to try to gain some free advertisement.

I'm not attacking you. I don't know you. I'm just stating my 2 cents.
Thanks for the comments. I agree with you 100%. I also wish that a Honda Civic, Fit or Accord was the same price in every Honda dealer. It would be much better for everyone.

At the end of the day, every Honda dealer pays the same for every Honda car, which means they could give you the same discount. But everyone approaches it differently.

I work for a New Honda Dealer only, no used cars here. This makes it easier because anyone can go online and find the cost of any new car. But at the same time, a deal should be Fair for everyone, right?

That being said, if you are a salesman it means you are offering a product or a service to a customer. That also means that others can charge more or less for the same product, but that does not equal the same level of customer service.

The Honda dealership I work for is a President's Award winner, which is measured by customer service, not sales. We are not the highest volume seller and that's ok.

I pride myself in customer service. I have sold cars to a customer, which after I have helped in other areas, such as helping them buy their first smartphone, going to an Apple store and then their house to set up their new Macbook and wifi network, etc. And I've done all this for Free.

At the end of the day some people just want to sell a car, while others want to gain a customer for life and help them in anyway they can, which is another reason why I offer free car advice on hondageek.com, even if they are not buying a car from me. I think some people appreciate knowing their local inventory of Fits as well, if they are looking for new Fit.

Yes, some people go on forums for some quick exposure, but I've been a member of many Honda forums for years, including this one under my former username cornerstrike (had a 2011 Honda Fit Sport). I love Honda. And the more people I can help get into the Honda family, regardless if I get paid or not, the better.

Just my...five cents, I guess.

But your comments is much appreciated and if you have anything I can assist you with, feel free to hit me up.

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: 2015 Honda Fit Buying Advice from a Honda Salesperson