3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Questions on deposit on new fit in Ky

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Question Questions on deposit on new fit in Ky

Hi all! I've been checking out this site doing lots of research on the 2015 fit and decided on the berry pearl. I live in northern ky and went in yesterday. After a test drive, he looked it up and saw one being made that will be here in 2 weeks. I've seen how long everyone's had to wait so not getting my hopes up (as much as possible). What I'm wondering about is price. The dealership by me is doing $1000 markup. Only one I know of doing this. So for a ex it was $20025 price of car only. He tried to add lots of packages, gap insurance, extended service plans. I said no to all extras but he would only go down to $20000 and said I was the first they would budge on with it. All I did was put a deposit down and initial this paper. Can someone tell me if I can still negotiate the price? I figured I can let them know that even if they tried to keep my deposit, which I was told is refundable, I can still save at least 750 elsewhere and go from there to see what they will offer to keep my business. If like to stick with them just because it's the only convenient location around me. I'll try and include a pic of the document I initialed. I can't figure out how to do a picture!

Old 08-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Initialed Doc

Last edited by Christina11; 08-17-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Ok so I was finally able to get the image to show. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 PM
When they added mark up..you should of walked out..can't tell by paperwork if it's refundable or terms....

Old 08-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks. Yea I know. Like I said it's the only dealer that I don't have to drive way out to go to and I need a new car asap but was able to borrow someone's until a pbp comes in. Not going to buy a color I don't want. As I was sitting there I had a dealer calling me but he's like 98 miles away. He may be getting one in soon. I'm not so much worried about the deposit part. I'll fight that all I can if I have to. What I'm wondering is by the looks of it, does it seem possible I can still negotiate the price or no? Im hoping so and I can get them to drop the price and I'll get it from them and everyone will be happy. :-\

Old 08-17-2014, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Mine had the $1000 markup thing and I just told him no. And they dropped it.

On the other hand I paid more than most people here did, but not too much more, with accessories like cargo tray and mud guards. But I got exactly what I wanted exactly when I absolutely had to have it. And I love it.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Christina11
Thanks. Yea I know. Like I said it's the only dealer that I don't have to drive way out to go to and I need a new car asap but was able to borrow someone's until a pbp comes in. Not going to buy a color I don't want. As I was sitting there I had a dealer calling me but he's like 98 miles away. He may be getting one in soon. I'm not so much worried about the deposit part. I'll fight that all I can if I have to. What I'm wondering is by the looks of it, does it seem possible I can still negotiate the price or no? Im hoping so and I can get them to drop the price and I'll get it from them and everyone will be happy. :-\
All depends on the fine print..refundable or non refundable?

Old 08-17-2014, 07:17 PM
He told me they have refunded them before so I'm assuming it is refundable. but literally that's the only thing I signed or initialed rather. So no fine print.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:43 PM
If (possibly a big if) they're a reputable business and they said it's a refundable deposit, they should give no hassle about refunding it per their policy if you decide to back out.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to renegotiate a better price after agreeing to a deal, even given that it's a tentative deal. It just doesn't seem like dealing in good faith, like something that a person who stands by their word would do. Yes, I might be dealing with a dealer who is acting slippery, but that's no reason for me to compromise and follow suit.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Honestly it sounds like your dealer is a crook. It doesn't sound like they will deal with you. If they wont deal on getting the car reserved I doubt they will deal once it is here. I know 100 miles sounds like a long ways to drive but if you can get the same car for less money it would be worth it. If the other dealer definitely has one coming in I would go back to your original dealer and ask for your deposit back. If nothing else maybe that will make them deal with you so they don't lose a sale.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm from Los Angeles and ended up flying up to NorCal (Monterey) in order to get my girlfriend the car she wanted. I had one a** clown at the DTLA trying to peddle me a 2k marked up vehicle. I laughed and walked out.

Go to cars.com, see who has it, and make the trek. I had a great experience flying out and driving back the same day.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:18 PM
And the vin and everything listed on the form is not correct. They made one up he said. Not sure if that matters.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Thanks everyone. Im going to talk to the dealer further out get some more info like expected date of delivery and then go to the one up the road. Let them know where I stand and ask for the deposit back. If he makes the effort to keep me same price then so be it. If not I just may take a little road trip. Either way I'm going to get an awesome car but I'm not going to pay $1k extra for no reason.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Oh my goodness. The ol' foursquare.

Dealerships Rip You Off With The "Four-Square," Here's How To Beat It

Find another dealer. This one plays games.

You will get the car that you want if you are patient and diligent. You have the upper hand and power with the word no. Use it!

Old 08-17-2014, 08:44 PM
Wow thanks!

Old 08-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Honestly, this "paperwork" is sloppy. Who crosses things out like that on something official...? And if it isn't a vin for a car you would be getting, how could it be binding in any way..

MSRP is 19025 for an EX so they are charging way too much in my opinion. I would get quotes from other dealers. Ask for the out the door price. if someone else offers you a lower price, tell this dealer. That is if you really want to deal with them. I wouldn't.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Christina11
Thanks everyone. Im going to talk to the dealer further out get some more info like expected date of delivery and then go to the one up the road. Let them know where I stand and ask for the deposit back. If he makes the effort to keep me same price then so be it. If not I just may take a little road trip. Either way I'm going to get an awesome car but I'm not going to pay $1k extra for no reason.
Victory Honda, Jackson TN. From Louisville: I-65 S and I-40 W 4 h 33 min
303 miles 4 h 17 min without traffic · They have a Passion Berry Pearl CVT, in stock (VIN: 3HGGK5H82FM714624), $19,025, listed on their website. This is where my daughter got hers (same exact color), and we drove from Nashville to get it. Very nice people. Ask for Ken James, sales. Nice kid. Your credit card can be disputed if they don't return your deposit, since they can't get you the VIN they gave you (assuming they made it up). It is a dispute only if they don't return it. Not fraud. To save $1,000.00 it is worth the drive (plus a nice road trip with your new car).

Last edited by Vanguard; 08-17-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:20 PM
I drove one hour saved 2000.00. Ex auto 18000.00 out the door..well worth the drive

Old 08-17-2014, 10:07 PM
Wow thanks again everyone. I feel better now. I know what I need to do and will update what happens and pics once I get it :-)

Old 08-17-2014, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
What dealer was this? Jeff Wyler Honda? Seems shady. That's where I do my services, but I haven't dealt with their sales department.

Quick Reply: Questions on deposit on new fit in Ky