3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda has real delivery issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Question Honda has real delivery issues

I have been trying to buy a White LX CVT for several months. White is generally considered the most popular color, and the LX , since it is the least expensive model is probably also the most popular model, BUT Honda has been building lots of High Profit EX and EX-L models and very very few white cars.

I'm working with a major Credit Union and some very large Honda dealers, and was just told that No Fit are expected Till SEPTEMBER 13.

I sold my 2012 Fit in anticipation of buying a White LX, so I have not had a car for more than three months. Surprisingly, getting around on my BMW Motorcycle has worked out. Starting to wonder if I really need a car.

There are lot's of rumors about what is causing the problems at Honda, but nothing from Honda. Actually Honda continues to advertise the promote the Fit on FB and on TV, even though there are serious delivery issues. Very strange.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:08 PM
I just bought my 2015 Fit LX on Friday. I live right between Atlanta and Chattanooga, and my dealer had to go north of Nashville just to find one that wasn't Gray/Silver. I got black, but there were no blue or whites within a 120 miles radius of where I'm at.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:48 PM
I have been following San Diego dealer inventories and they are getting deliveries but they are also selling fast. One dealer had seven and a week later nothing. Lots of EX and EX-L. I just checked one dealer who had an EX this morning but now its gone.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:51 PM
The only white EX at my dealer sold within 4 hours when I was buying my LX. They said they expect the next shipment of Fit's on September.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Montclair dealer?

Originally Posted by dave92029
I have been trying to buy a White LX CVT for several months. White is generally considered the most popular color, and the LX , since it is the least expensive model is probably also the most popular model, BUT Honda has been building lots of High Profit EX and EX-L models and very very few white cars.

I'm working with a major Credit Union and some very large Honda dealers, and was just told that No Fit are expected Till SEPTEMBER 13.

I sold my 2012 Fit in anticipation of buying a White LX, so I have not had a car for more than three months. Surprisingly, getting around on my BMW Motorcycle has worked out. Starting to wonder if I really need a car.

There are lot's of rumors about what is causing the problems at Honda, but nothing from Honda. Actually Honda continues to advertise the promote the Fit on FB and on TV, even though there are serious delivery issues. Very strange.

Agreed that Honda continues to not be getting 2015 Fits to the dealers in volume yet.

Have you been checking the Cars . com website? Not all, but many of the dealers do use it. Of course, just like the dealer's own website, it is tough to tell if a car is actually at the dealer, or just in the pipeline to the dealer..... On the Cars website, they show your closest white LX CVT Fit to be at Montclair, CA... up in the LA area..... Lucky you aren't wanting the same car with the stick shift, where the nearest dealer is on the east coast....

If you look around at different dealers and find THE car, snap it up. Otherwise, consider sticking with your favorite, convenient dealer, and make sure they know what you are waiting for.

American Honda isn't saying much about their problems but we can all hope they get them fixed, so the dealers really know when to expect cars.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Around here, Fits are selling right quick and for us the lack of inventory is definitely a case of demand outstripping supply.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs down Cars.Com and bait and switch

Originally Posted by cckid

Have you been checking the Cars . com website?

American Honda isn't saying much about their problems but we can all hope they get them fixed, so the dealers really know when to expect cars.
Yes, I have checked Cars.com, but have Not found the information to be reliable.

I noticed a Cars.com Listing for a white LX CVT at Escondido Honda this past Saturday. I immediately called and found that they really had a red and black EX. I had a similar experience with Poway Honda which listed a White LX but had a white EX-L.

It appears that some of the dealers are using Cars.com as a bait and switch tactic. Get you to come in to the dealership for a LX and then try to sell you the EX-L

All I need and want is the LX, and Honda seems to only be producing the higher profit Ex, and EX-L. The Civic or Accord is a much better value at similar prices to the EX-L with year end pricing!

Old 08-19-2014, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member

This same thing happened years ago with the Honda Odyssey. None available for test drive, wait lists, pricing above MSRP. Eventually, supply and demand met, and now you can drive by any Honda dealer and they will have a wide variety of models to choose from.

My wife and I have never had any problems with purchasing cars from dealers out of city or state. Unless your married to a particular dealer, it should not be impossible to find your car. It is just a question of how badly you want it and how long your willing to wait. If your in a hurry however, you will need to be aggressive in your search (which means daily calls to a list of dealers), and sooner or later you will find one. Avoid the deposit game, as that is just a way to lock you into that particular dealer. We were calling around with our daily list and just happened to come across a dealer that had received several Fits that day. We drove two hours that night and purchased one of them. Good Luck!

Last edited by Vanguard; 08-19-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
All I need and want is the LX, and Honda seems to only be producing the higher profit Ex, and EX-L. The Civic or Accord is a much better value at similar prices to the EX-L with year end pricing!
Dave,
You are not alone! All I want is an LX CVT fit as well. I have been looking since May. My favorite colors are white and red, perhaps a yellow (Yeah right). Even still, I can not find any near me. The first one I found on a Saturday and I told the dealership I'd be back on Monday to pick it up. It sold the next day (Sunday), a day in which the dealership is closed. ????? It was a blue LX and I was desperate. Last week another dealership called me that one had arrived. They left a message with me. I called them 4hrs later and stated I'd be in the next day to pick it up (Was working day shift). When I called them back, they told me it sold an hour ago.

Fortunately, I have other cars to drive but I'm in the same situation as you. I have stuff in my house waiting to be installed on the car when I get it (Intake, aftermarket wheels, etc). It's killing me! All I can do is wait. I feel like eventually, I'm going to get that white/red/yellow one that I want (or another color that I'll settle for). I'm anxious to start modding away.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:03 PM
My inlaws wanted white and the process started back in mid June. Their dealer of choice only had 1 silver at the time so they explained they would search the system and try to redirect a white Fit to their inventory. They finally grabbed one but it was already on the way to another dealership. They made arrangements to dealer trade. They finally picked their Fit up on Friday, 8/15. It took approximately 2 months!! Honda apparently built Silver, Red, Dark Gray and Black first. The other colors have been trickling in. Best of luck!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:49 AM
cars.com inventory data is completely false for Fits. The majority of the cars listed there are aren't in dealer stock. There's an LA dealer who has listed a white LX CVT for many weeks.

Get in the habit of checking the sites of nearby dealers to find out which ones are honest about inventory. I have a couple of local dealers who show no cars on Cars.com yet you can see the Fits come and go (within days, if not hours) on their websites.

There is a white LX 6-speed at one LA dealer that hasn't shown up on Cars.com at all. I'm surprised it's still on the dealer website as it seems to be pretty well maintained. Too bad I want a CVT this time around.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:51 AM
According to a reliable source within Honda - quality issues with Mexican workers. Working hard getting resolved. I think Honda is going to get a bloody nose over this. Check car over thoroughly before purchasing! I gave up waiting even though I loved my 2009 Fit. I purchased 2014 Civic EXL for about the same price with discounts. I'm totally happy with the car.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Larry Johnston
According to a reliable source within Honda - quality issues with Mexican workers. Working hard getting resolved. I think Honda is going to get a bloody nose over this. Check car over thoroughly before purchasing! I gave up waiting even though I loved my 2009 Fit. I purchased 2014 Civic EXL for about the same price with discounts. I'm totally happy with the car.
I'm sorry to hear this, but it is not unexpected. I'm afraid that Honda is going to get a black eye over Mexico assembled Honda Fits. If so, that will soon affect sales. Maybe there will be a fire sale on future Mexican produced Honda Fits.

I am assuming that this new plant is also exporting cars to most of North and South America. I wonder how sales and quality problems are in other N. and S. American countries including Mexico.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n9cv
I'm sorry to hear this, but it is not unexpected. I'm afraid that Honda is going to get a black eye over Mexico assembled Honda Fits. If so, that will soon affect sales. Maybe there will be a fire sale on future Mexican produced Honda Fits.

I am assuming that this new plant is also exporting cars to most of North and South America. I wonder how sales and quality problems are in other N. and S. American countries including Mexico.
Fit's are selling as soon as they arrive on the dealer lots, for full MSRP. i don't anticipate a "fire sale" as you describe it, any time soon. As for the speculation regarding the Mexican labor issues Honda may or may not be having, labor is an easy fix. Keep hiring until you get the right people. If for some reason that will not work, plan B would be to bring in more robotics. All these temporary issues will go away. The Honda Odyssey was in the same boat years ago, when you could not find one and you would pay over MSRP to get one, after putting your name on a waiting list. Honda survived, and so did the Honda Odyssey. The Honda Fit will be with us for a long time to come.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Fit's are selling as soon as they arrive on the dealer lots, for full MSRP. i don't anticipate a "fire sale" as you describe it, any time soon. As for the speculation regarding the Mexican labor issues Honda may or may not be having, labor is an easy fix. Keep hiring until you get the right people. If for some reason that will not work, plan B would be to bring in more robotics. All these temporary issues will go away. The Honda Odyssey was in the same boat years ago, when you could not find one and you would pay over MSRP to get one, after putting your name on a waiting list. Honda survived, and so did the Honda Odyssey. The Honda Fit will be with us for a long time to come.
I do not disagree with your statements. My point was supply is currently constrained so prices are high. There is a limit to the pent up demand. If the Honda Fit gets a bad reputation for quality now, future sales will suffer. If that happens, production numbers will need to be reduced and Honda would have to do something to get rid of any excess vehicles. That was the source of my "fire sale" comment.

Let's see what the car magazines say in their reviews. They carry a lot of influence.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:59 AM
5 Year Member

I went to my dealer in April, and he said they would have Fits in about a month. Then I read that the Fit had been redesigned, so I was glad he didn't have any 2013 Fits. I had bought from this salesman before, and I thought he would stay in contact with me, but he didn't.

Here's how to get a Fit. Find a dealer - anywhere - that has a model and color you want listed as "In Transit." Put a $500 deposit on it. Without a deposit, you don't exist. Don't be too picky about color. I was lucky to get a silver one - in NH. Three days later, my son bought a black one in NY because blue was too hard to find. In both cases, they were the only Fits the dealers had.

There are many advantages to the EX, for not too much more money.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Here's how to get a Fit. Find a dealer - anywhere - that has a model and color you want listed as "In Transit." Put a $500 deposit on it. Without a deposit, you don't exist.
Before you do this, read the experiences of other FF members who put down a deposit then found the car they wanted at another dealer. Do you really want to go through the anxiety of maybe getting a deposit back?

A deposit makes you beholden to the dealer, not the other way around. It restricts you to a single dealer and many dealers have no qualms about selling "your" car to another customer who has ready money. After all, they will have sold a car and you're still on the deposit leash. What are you going to do, sue the dealer for their action? They'll just say they made a "mistake."

Even better, refuse to participate in the feeding frenzy. Wait a month or two until the dealers have cars on the lot for you to look at, touch, and drive. You'll get more respect, a better deal, and a better car with fewer defects.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Before you do this, read the experiences of other FF members who put down a deposit then found the car they wanted at another dealer. Do you really want to go through the anxiety of maybe getting a deposit back?

A deposit makes you beholden to the dealer, not the other way around. It restricts you to a single dealer and many dealers have no qualms about selling "your" car to another customer who has ready money. After all, they will have sold a car and you're still on the deposit leash. What are you going to do, sue the dealer for their action? They'll just say they made a "mistake."

Even better, refuse to participate in the feeding frenzy. Wait a month or two until the dealers have cars on the lot for you to look at, touch, and drive. You'll get more respect, a better deal, and a better car with fewer defects.
When I placed deposits, I had both cars within two weeks. Not one dealer had cars on his lot or in transit that were not spoken for. My local dealer, just 12 miles away, must have sold a dozen, but since I hadn't place a deposit (They never asked for one), I never even got a phone call. I drove three hours to one dealer and an hour to another, but I was able to get two Fits within three days of each other.

One dealer didn't even charge my credit card for the deposit. It was just a formality. If the dealer can't deliver, your cc company will refund the deposit.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
When I placed deposits, I had both cars within two weeks.
That's two data points and I'm glad that you had good luck. Reading the problems that others have had I wouldn't want to risk it.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Make mine three. Courtesy Palm Harbor bent over backwards for me, and I was happy to give them a deposit. They totally delivered, transferring the deposit from a silver car to a red one that unexpectedly came in that they knew I wanted.

Like an idiot I completely forgot to have the deposit deducted from the sales price (in my defense I haven't bought a car since 1976), and I believe they forgot too. A few days after pick up, I realized we hadn't, called them, and I had my refund in 24 hours.

Quick Reply: Honda has real delivery issues