3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CVT - Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 AM
CVT - Performance

As an owner of 2nd. gen. fit I'm looking at the 3rd. gen. and they just arrive to where I live (South America).

Here we have LX and EX but we can't choose transmission, LX is 6-speed and EX is CVT with climate control (no VSA, 5" screen, no sunroof, no lanewatch).

I always drove manual cars but the LX is not an option given the small gap in price between both versions and the big difference in features.

Does anybody test their CVT Fits from 0-60?

Is the CVT more efficient than the manual in pure city driving? I understand it is at highway speeds.

Many thanks.

Best regards

Old 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM
More efficient? Not sure but more convenient than a manual for city driving in my opinion. I love the CVT in my fit, I find it quite responsive and dependable, a bit louder than a manual would be I would guess but soon as the rpm catches up with the power band it quiets right down.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tmfit
More efficient? Not sure but more convenient than a manual for city driving in my opinion. I love the CVT in my fit, I find it quite responsive and dependable, a bit louder than a manual would be I would guess but soon as the rpm catches up with the power band it quiets right down.
Tmfit,

I have been reading up that the CVT is responsive while driving. What are your impressions from a dead stop? Does it take off quickly or too slow? Is there a lag in acceleration from stop? That's the one thing I've read in other forums. Also, just how fast do you think it is from 0-60mph, like the OP asked? I still have no information anywhere with this tested out in a review.

When I look at a local dealership's website (Martin Honda in Newark Delaware), it lists the manual LX/EX at 7.9 seconds to 0-60. The LX CVT is 8.0 seconds to 0-60 and the EX CVT is 8.3 seconds to 0-60. The EX-L CVT is 8.4 seconds to 0-60.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 08-20-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:22 PM
I notice the eco button makes a hell of a difference.. with it on car real sluggish but with it off the pedal real sensitive

Old 08-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
When I look at a local dealership's website (Martin Honda in Newark Delaware), it lists the manual LX/EX at 7.9 seconds to 0-60. The LX CVT is 8.0 seconds to 0-60 and the EX CVT is 8.3 seconds to 0-60. The EX-L CVT is 8.4 seconds to 0-60.
I think a CVT will be more like 9.5-10 seconds to 60.

If it really does 8.3 to 60 it's faster than I think.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gpennino
I think a CVT will be more like 9.5-10 seconds to 60.

If it really does 8.3 to 60 it's faster than I think.
I originally thought the same thing except that at this same dealership website, it lists the 2013 Honda Fit with 5-spd automatic at 9.3 seconds 0-60. This made me doubt it the CVT with more horsepower would be slower.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Tmfit,

I have been reading up that the CVT is responsive while driving. What are your impressions from a dead stop? Does it take off quickly or too slow? Is there a lag in acceleration from stop? That's the one thing I've read in other forums. Also, just how fast do you think it is from 0-60mph, like the OP asked? I still have no information anywhere with this tested out in a review.

It is peppy from a stand still but I would say just the slightest of hesitation till the rpms climb then its game on. I have never tried timing it from 0-60 but have read the same as you but 8.5 secs. I will try to find a nice road to test it out.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
I find off the line it is pretty slow, almost like a turbo lag. 15-60 it scoots, though.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Saw one review on youtube said they got 8.6 second 0-60 with the CVT.
I have a LX cvt and It works great for me. Doesn't feel slow at all.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
I'm asking specifically about the off-the-line acceleration because I wish to build on this by reducing the overall weight of the vehicle and working on reducing rotating mass. It seems to me that reducing rotating mass (Ex: lighter wheels, crank pulley) and lighter weight should help the CVT drive train get the engine up to it's power peak much quicker. And once there, any modifications that you do to increase peak horsepower should really have it moving since it hangs right at the peak horsepower range as it continues to accelerate. I'm actually really excited about this because it is new territory for me.

I want to increase acceleration off the line up to just the point where the tires are about to break loose as any wheel spin is useless to get the power to the ground. This would be perfect!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rikerr
Saw one review on youtube said they got 8.6 second 0-60 with the CVT.
I have a LX cvt and It works great for me. Doesn't feel slow at all.
I just drove 3hrs home with an LX CVT I just picked up. The CVT feels awesome. I love it! No complaints at all. The engine/tranny combo is pretty quiet on the highway at 70-80mph for a small car. I only have my Subarus to compare too. The performance is nice too. Acceleration is adequate. I do want to improve the acceleration from a standstill but I really can't complain.

Also, going at wide open throttle, I thought the RPM being pinned to the top of the rev range would bother me with all I have read about it. I like this as well. Really looking forward to seeing how mods affect the 'performance' of this vehicle. I averaged 41mpg on the way home with mostly steady state driving but a really heavy foot at times. Thoroughly enjoyed my first drive.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 08-23-2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:34 AM
Another factor is driver effort. To achieve a low 0-60 with the 6-speed you have to make two very quick and precise shifts. Get it slightly wrong and the advantage goes out the window. To achieve a low 0-60 with the CVT you just keep your foot to the floor.

I love my stick shifts, but the fact is that a CVT will pick the correct "gear" every time.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member
I just drove 3hrs home with an LX CVT I just picked up. The CVT feels awesome. I love it! No complaints at all. The engine/tranny combo is pretty came quiet on the highway at 70-80mph for a small car. I only have my Subarus to compare too. The performance is nice too. Acceleration is adequate. I do want to improve the acceleration from a standstill but I really can't complain.

Also, going at wide open throttle, I thought the RPM being pinned to the top of the rev range would bother me with all I have read about it. I like this as well. Really looking forward to seeing how mods affect the 'performance' of this vehicle. I averaged 41mpg on the way home with mostly steady state driving but a really heavy foot at times. Thoroughly enjoyed my first drive.
So you did buy that pretty Mystic Yellow Fit posted in another thread! Congrats! Let the testing and modding begin.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TCroly
So you did buy that pretty Mystic Yellow Fit posted in another thread! Congrats! Let the testing and modding begin.
Yes and thanks! TCroly, I'm about to leave work with next to no sleep but I need to know if the HPS intake (short ram) will fit. I'm going to park it in the garage and test fit it before going to bed. It won't stay a short ram but the need to know is on the obsessive side right now.

Uggh......suspense!

Old 08-23-2014, 05:24 AM
keep us posted! you are not alone!

Old 08-23-2014, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Need Guidance

I need some guidance on CVTs and power mods. I installed a D.I.Y intake (Basically a cone filter onto the maf sensor, onto the throttle body). It appears something weird has happened but I don't know if it is just sensation or that it is really happening. Here is the best way I can describe it.

With the stock intake for example, lets say the rpm gauge at 40mph was at 5100rpm (while climbing at wide open throttle). After installing the D.I.Y intake, it seems it take longer to reach it's upper RPM power range or for example at 40mph the rpm is at 4500rpm. I know this would not occur with an old school transmission because the gear ratios are fixed. I need to capture this phenomena on my Android Torque app or something else but it seems to accelerate slower and that the rpm at a given mph is lower than it was when stock (Until it reaches full throttle).

My question is, since the gear ratios are infinite between it's final drive ratio and idle, can the engine be at a different rpm at a given mph when a power modification is added/subtracted?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:39 AM

My question is, since the gear ratios are infinite between it's final drive ratio and idle, can the engine be at a different rpm at a given mph when a power modification is added/subtracted?
I have no facts but am thinking the power addition or subtraction would not make a difference between rpm and mph. The difference would be getting there quicker or slower.