3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Buying Fit through True car or Costco

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Buying Fit through True car or Costco

Has anyone managed to buy their car through True Car or Costco or any other company claiming to get the car from one of their client dealers below MSRP ?

Old 08-26-2014, 04:20 PM
BMO
I got a TrueCar offer and used it at my preferred dealership (not the one the offer was for). Standard "I've got an offer at X dealership, can you beat it"? schtick with the printed offer from TrueCar. They matched, which ended up being about $400 off MSRP.

I just found the lowest TrueCar price within 200 miles and picked that one, even though I wasn't ever going to go there

Old 08-26-2014, 04:41 PM
Question Fighting Chance?

Anyone have experience with Fighting Chance? Every penny counts when you are sooo tempted reading about all the 'extras' everyone on this site seems to be adding.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Got approximately 400 (exactly 100 over invoice) off MSRP through costco. No negotiation necessary.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:28 PM
My Costco experience: I talked to two different dealerships in the area that do the Costco program, one was offering invoice + $100, the other was offering invoice + $150. Each dealership negotiates its own Costco price for the cars they sell, so the customer can walk in and all the negotiation is done. However, in my case, neither of those dealerships had inventory, so I kept that price copied down and took it to the first dealership that did. Worked out for me, but there are something like 11 Honda dealerships within driving distance to me, so I was willing to walk out if I didn't get my price and simply move on to the next one

I would have preferred to do it through the Costco program because you get a coupon at Costco as a perk for the sale, and I shop there weekly, so that would have been nice.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
We belong to Costco but knew nothing about it. Anyway, we needed the car so we could get to Costco in the first place.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by nbcbill
Has anyone managed to buy their car through True Car or Costco or any other company claiming to get the car from one of their client dealers below MSRP ?
I tried Costco but they sent me to a dealer that showed me MSRP and that was that. I was pissed and left.

I ended up going through Autoland and paying MSRP anyway. There just isn't enough supply to negotiate much of a deal, or there wasn't when I bought.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Princess_Leia
I would have preferred to do it through the Costco program because you get a coupon at Costco as a perk for the sale, and I shop there weekly, so that would have been nice.
What coupon that is associated with a car purchase through the Costo Auto Program?

Old 08-27-2014, 05:05 PM
50% off parts/services/accessories up to $200 in savings at the dealership where you purchase the car.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GiTsticker
Got approximately 400 (exactly 100 over invoice) off MSRP through costco. No negotiation necessary.
Same lol

Old 08-28-2014, 08:47 AM
No Inventory

Here is the big issue with Truecar, it just says hey we can guarantee you a price on this car with these options and color, not that we can guarantee you a car. If you haven't noticed, the 15's are hard to find. Waited over 3 weeks after purchasing to get one. So you can go to the dealer all you want and say I have Truecar, but if they don't have a car to sell you, then it isn't going to help. Also, the dealer doesn't have to sell you the car, there are plenty of people like me who where willing to pay MSRP for a Fit, so somebody else just might beat you to it. My advise would be, if you find a Fit, buy it and don't waste your time with Truecar. You will also get harassed by dealers after you get your price because they get all your info.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:04 AM
I purchased a car through Costco and I am going to assume that it is the same with True Car. I called the Costco number and gave them the information about the car I wanted. Two hours latter they called me back with their dealer and a sales persons name. I called the sales person and set up an appointment for the next day. He told me that the car with the equipment I wanted would have to be special ordered. He gave me the price for a Costco order. I gave him a $500. deposit and I got the car eight weeks latter. I was very happy with the price and had not a single problem. I also got a free oil change and discounts for any future parts.

It was an easy no hassle purchase as far as I was concerned.