3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to gain quicker acceleration CVT

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
How to gain quicker acceleration CVT aka Myxal Two-Step

I'm officially calling this procedure the 'Myxal Two-Step'.

I realized something the other day and did some testing to back it up and just wanted to share what happened. It seems, I may have found a quicker way to accelerate in the CVT. This is either from a dead stop or from a roll. A quick test of the runs were done but I don't want to post up the before and after videos. I will post up the difference in 1/4 mile times when I test this at the track but I did confirm it on my Android Torque Pro software. You can shave up to a 1/2 second off your 0-60mph time and 3/10ths or so off of your 1/4 mile time. It'll also help you accelerate and pass another vehicle quicker if need be while you are already up to speed. Here's how you do this.

1) Press the gas pedal fully to the floor,
2) Lift off the gas pedal slightly (very slightly),
3) Immediately floor the gas pedal again

**Demonstration Video**
**Myxal Two-Step** with VSA disabled and in 'L' mode. Acceleration was slightly quicker still.

Test this on your own CVT transmission at your own risk. What you will notice is that your rpm gauge will jump up to another 1000-1500rpm right after flooring the gas pedal again.

I thought that the jump was maybe a fake way of feeling like it was accelerating quicker until I tested this out and recorded. The timed runs didn't lie. This led me to believe it was also faster when I did this from a roll.

I'm just sharing! I'm not trying to prove anything either way. Test this yourself with your own testing equipment or just seat-of-the-pants. Good luck!

Just read this comment at a website that talked about how to get the quickest acceleration out of the CVT.
"Typical CVT action here, slow-revving on its way up to 6,600 rpm. Power-braking at launch (overlapping throttle and brake to bring the revs up) netted about two-tenths. Doing that plus using Sport/Manual mode in "1st gear," then shifting to Drive just before it hit 6,000 rpm (at which point it would have "shifted" with a loss in revs) and then letting it do its incessant wind-out for the remainder of the quarter-mile proved by far the quickest method."
From here --> Edmunds Honda Fit Road Test Results

^^I'm gonna have to try this braking and shifting technique tomorrow.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 02-28-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
I've also found sport mode gives it some help off the line.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
I realized something the other day and did some testing to back it up and just wanted to share what happened. It seems, I may have found a quicker way to accelerate in the CVT. This is either from a dead stop or from a roll. A quick test of the runs were done but I don't want to post up the before and after videos. I will post up the difference in 1/4 mile times when I test this at the track but I did confirm it on my Android Torque Pro software. You can shave up to a 1/2 second off your 0-60mph time and 3/10ths or so off of your 1/4 mile time. It'll also help you accelerate and pass another vehicle quicker if need be while you are already up to speed. Here's how you do this.

1) Press the gas pedal fully to the floor,
2) Lift off the gas pedal slightly (very slightly),
3) Immediately floor the gas pedal again

Test this on your own CVT transmission at your own risk. What you will notice is that your rpm gauge will jump up to another 1000-1500rpm right after flooring the gas pedal again.

I thought that the jump was maybe a fake way of feeling like it was accelerating quicker until I tested this out and recorded. The timed runs didn't lie. This led me to believe it was also faster when I did this from a roll.

I'm just sharing! I'm not trying to prove anything either way. Test this yourself with your own testing equipment or just seat-of-the-pants. Good luck!
I think most automatic transmissions do this, I know my 5 speed truck does. Ford used to call it "passing gear" when it would just drop down a gear for passing on the highway. I would assume what you are doing is preventing the car from changing the CVT ratio essentially keeping it in a lower gear for longer.

Sport mode should allow similar results since it keeps it in lower ratios for longer.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Sport mode DOES help make it quicker off the line, along with using the paddles.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
What about brake launching?

Old 09-02-2014, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cab0053
What about brake launching?
I haven't tried brake launching since I'm trying to be careful with the CVT transmission in particular. It seems to 'flash stall' up to about 2100-2200rpm.

In either case, what I'm sharing is my observation about the CVT. If anyone simply floors the gas pedal and the acceleration is not quite quick enough, you can increase your acceleration by flooring it, lightly letting of the gas and quickly flooring it again. And I mean barely lifting our foot off the pedal.

This works from a dead stop and also while already in motion (Highway too). I tested this from a dead stop and have recorded a drop in 0-60mph and 1/4 mile time. I'd love to share a video of it but you know.......

I need to get back to the dragstrip to confirm as that is the proper avenue for testing these things. Test for yourself and report your findings. Please, don't just go by my word.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 09-28-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:08 PM
I used to do this in all the automatics I owned... it was just a way of convincing the transmission to downshift, i'm sure it's a similar thing with the CVT.

Interesting.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
**Update**

Posted up info I read from Edmunds website. See bottom of first post. Will have to try this technique.

Also, I tried brake torquing without success although I was real gentle about it. I would barely mash down on the gas pedal. I know better than doing this for more than a few seconds from testing out many automatics over the years. I am particularly skeptical about the CVT, as most people should be. I'll be slightly more aggressive next time to see if results are promising.

I can say that this is a good feeling since I've read about low psi turbo'd/supercharged older model fits running in the 15's in the 1/4 mile (Some 16's) So, it's all a rewarding experience.

Edit: Just adding some personal notes on Subarus with the CVT and launch control. See video at 4:25 mark.

See another Subaru CVT video at the 4:00 mark that talks about 'Launch Control in their CVT'.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 09-12-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
**Updated**

Put a video demonstration in that you can hear my foot hitting the accelerator multiple times to try to accelerate faster.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Even Faster Acceleration

My mind is still going with ideas around this car since I'm loving how it performs. Thinking outside of the box since the direct injection and CVT are new technologies (for me anyways).

As far as acceleration goes, it seems I have had a little success on manipulating the CVT to get into the higher rpm range as quick as possible. 60ft times at the dragstrip is down to 2.4 range now. After reading a good bit about FWD 60ft on street tires, I'm reading 2.1-2.2 is Awesome, 2.3's are good and 2.4's is average-Joe standard for good launches.

So, I'm thinking about how we could achieve a 2.2-2.3 range 60ft range jump. Typically you'd have your torque converter stall speed modified so you can brake torque at a higher rpm. Of course this generates heat and so you'd need a trans cooler to offset this as well and the torque converter slipping during normal driving. The CVT is a different animal. So......I have an idea.

I'm at work and it just popped in my head but if it works....OMG. Anyways, since doing what I call the 'Myxal Two-Step' allows the rpm to jump up in 1000rpm increments, this is something that 'may' be possible. I don't brake stall but the Subaru CVTs do it for maximum acceleration as well as some journalists on our cars. Our cars brake stall to about 2100-2200rpm. So....what I'm thinking of trying is just before take-off.......

I'll brake stall to about 2100rpm or so THEN do a 'Myxal Two-Step' to bump up the rpm to 3100 or 4100rpms, then let go of the gas pedal. I don't see why it wouldn't work. This will allow you to take off at a higher rpm. At this point, you can continue to do the 'Myxal Two-Step' until you reach 6000rpm or so and cruise. You'd be right there with a manual transmission Fit right from the start and smooth sailing from there on since you'd cling to your higher rpms in your CVT.

If this work, I'm thinking this may be good to shave off another 2-3/10ths off of your 1/4 mile time. You heard it here first.

And of course I'm going to try it and report back. It would be laughably funny if these cars would be approaching 14 seconds in the 1/4 mile with everything working against it.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:10 PM
When you "brake stall" are you slipping a torque converter or is there an actual clutch slipping (and wearing) in there? If the latter, it can't be a good idea to do this!

Old 10-05-2014, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
When you "brake stall" are you slipping a torque converter or is there an actual clutch slipping (and wearing) in there? If the latter, it can't be a good idea to do this!
Torque converter like some of the journalist's do. I tried it twice but it didn't do what I was hoping for it to do, whereas I could pump the gas and 'fake' spike the rpm up a 1000rpm or two. It just acted like it normally does when you simply lift your foot off the brake pedal.

I'm getting the best performance simply by hitting the gas pedal (No brake stall) and pumping the gas pedal at intervals to get the rpms up to 6000 as quickly as possible (4 seconds).